PDA

View Full Version : Hammer worth $130.00?

silverplanet
10-03-2008, 11:24 PM
Hello

Wondering if a orange hammer coral from Australia is worth $130.00 it is about 2" by 2" by 4" high.

Jason

Myka
10-03-2008, 11:28 PM
I think that's priced a bit high, but they are so rare it's hard to say.

Here's one to compare to: http://areefcreation.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=155

Chad
10-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Nice colour.. I have a orange (aussi Torch), I wonder if I can someday command the 40$ per head that site offers theirs for!!

reptile guy
10-04-2008, 03:20 AM
It would be worth around $50 and at the most $60 for one.

justinl
10-04-2008, 05:12 AM
i dunno... I mean it's nice, and I dare say cooler than the normal green (if we are to be subjective), but I still wouldn't fork over that much for it, personally.

Conkayde
10-04-2008, 05:37 AM
It would be worth around $50 and at the most $60 for one.

wow!! that would be an awesome price for one of these considering most people who think these things should be cheap do not put in to consideration the expense of getting these type of things in.

Could you even imagine what the shipping ALONE would be from Australia? Crazy I am sure but hey what do I now maybe your right but I think personally anything that you see once a year or so....is worth having when no one else does...just my 2 cents though.

Aquattro
10-04-2008, 05:45 AM
Could you even imagine what the shipping ALONE would be from Australia? .

My GF is looking into shipping a dog from there, ya, it's pretty darn expensive!

karazy
10-04-2008, 05:54 AM
personaly i think there's 2 ways to look at his.
first, there's the hobby side. if you want this just too look at and be merry, not worth it.
then theres the buisness side. if you plan on selling every additional head of this, eventualy the thing could pay for itself and more

Myka
10-04-2008, 06:59 AM
You pay more for stuff from Australia whether it's nicer or not. I think shipping or collection is more expensive...I can't remember. But Aus also has some of the nicest stuff!!

Drock169
10-04-2008, 03:03 PM
J&L has one thats kind of orange/pink for 69.95, not sure if its still available though, you could always send a pm to them on the vendor list asking for a pic.

BC Mosaic
10-04-2008, 03:32 PM
You pay more for stuff from Australia whether it's nicer or not.........

It's more of price fixing by the exporters/importers. Most items that are sold as "rare" are not. The acans you see in lfs are common in Australia. Shipping from there is costly, true but its greed that is raising the prices to stupid proportions.

Underwater
10-04-2008, 03:56 PM
And I didn't pay anywhere NEAR that amount. I picked it up at RC about a month ago.

fishoholic
10-04-2008, 03:57 PM
I think that's priced a bit high, but they are so rare it's hard to say.

Here's one to compare to: http://areefcreation.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=155

The hammer coral I bought at one of the LFS in Edmonton looks a lot like the one in that link. I don't remember what the store called it, but I thought it was a pink hammer coral. I paid $60.00 for it, and it's about 3-4" big.

reptile guy
10-04-2008, 05:02 PM
We've had them twice in two months and likely will have some more in another month or two and that's what we'd be selling them for unless price went up on them. There odd when you get them they don't look anything special (kind of drab) but color up really nice after they've been in your tank for a month or two.

wow!! that would be an awesome price for one of these considering most people who think these things should be cheap do not put in to consideration the expense of getting these type of things in.

Could you even imagine what the shipping ALONE would be from Australia? Crazy I am sure but hey what do I now maybe your right but I think personally anything that you see once a year or so....is worth having when no one else does...just my 2 cents though.

Bayside Corals
10-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Aussie stuff costs more for both the corals and the shipping. It's not always "greed" that drives the prices up. You have to remember your LFS is trying to run a buisness not a charity.

When you go to work in the morning do you expect to work for free or collect a check at the end of the month?

What it comes down to is if you like it buy it. Who cares what someone else thinks is nice or rare. It's your tank you have to look at it every day.

If it was me I would get it the price doesn't seem bad and they are a coral you don't see every day.

Whatigot
10-04-2008, 05:53 PM
much as I hate how expensive this stuff is, I am glad that anything collected in the wild costs enough for people to really want it to buy it.

think how much more the impact would be on the ecosystem if we were not limited by $$$....

just a somewhat random thought.

BC Mosaic
10-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Aussie stuff costs more for both the corals and the shipping. It's not always "greed" that drives the prices up. You have to remember your LFS is trying to run a buisness not a charity. ....

Sorry, I should have made it clear that lfs are not the culprits as they are getting dinged just like us hobbyists.

Freight costs are freight costs. They are not shipping coral one at a time. I think that arguement is weak - just a distractionary manoeuvre (think carbon tax).

Chaloupa
10-04-2008, 06:37 PM
I'd buy a frag when/if you have one...I like them and appreciate that they are different! But, I couldn't afford a colony...

OCDP
10-04-2008, 06:49 PM
I'd buy a frag when/if you have one...I like them and appreciate that they are different! But, I couldn't afford a colony...

I second that..

BC Mosaic
10-04-2008, 06:53 PM
much as I hate how expensive this stuff is, I am glad that anything collected in the wild costs enough for people to really want it to buy it......

We all love beauty and always want it around us and thats why we are willing to pay for it (one way or another:wink:). I've personally dished out the dough for frags from members and lfs. LOL

"think how much more the impact would be on the ecosystem if we were not limited by $$$...."

Not much IMHO. There's always $$$$ around.