PDA

View Full Version : Air Bubbles

C-Hawks
04-19-2003, 03:42 PM
Does anyone know a goo trick to cut down on the amount of little air bubbles that are created in your tank by the protein skimmer?

Bob I
04-19-2003, 04:31 PM
Does anyone know a goo trick to cut down on the amount of little air bubbles that are created in your tank by the protein skimmer?

I have an excellent answer that will not help you a bit, and is facetious in a way. My cure is don't use a skimmer. That is what I do, but may not help you. :mrgreen:

Canadian Man
04-19-2003, 04:41 PM
Ahhh Bob, I knew this answer was comming from you :rolleyes: :lol:

C-hawks. your going to have to give us more info as to what type of skimmer and what type of pump? How long has it been set up? etc.
Thanks

CHEAPREEF
04-19-2003, 04:52 PM
Is it in a sump or is it a HOT?

Clinton

Bob I
04-19-2003, 05:11 PM
Ahhh Bob, I knew this answer was comming from you :rolleyes: :lol:

Well in my defense, I did say it might not help, and I wanted to be facetious. If only to use that word.
:BIG:

ranz
04-19-2003, 05:52 PM
I put the outlets from my protein skimmer into a 2" PVC pipe that I had made into a horse shoe at the bottem of my sump. This alows the bubbles to overflow over the top of the 2" pipe....slow down the bubbles....
no need to glue any of the 2" pipe because it sits in your sump so it was an easy fix for me, the piping can be any size as long as your protein skimmer outlets fit into the pvc...

Good luck
Ranz

C-Hawks
04-19-2003, 08:07 PM
The name of the skimmer escapes me and I'll have to check when I get home. It is however the hang on type with a mag drive pump that sits dow at the bottom of the tank.

sumpfinfishe
04-20-2003, 09:12 AM
When I had a HOT, I simply used a piece of medium grade pond filter media and cut a small piece to sit into the return ramp, thus trapping any excess bubbles before they could fall back into the tank. This was when I ran a @#@#ed up Sea@#@#@.

If your HOT has a return line rather than a ramp, you could always rig up an overflow/riser cup underneath the return, thus allowing the air bubbles to rise to the surface along with the water so that would help the bubbles escape at the surface.

cheers, sumpfinfishe :mrgreen: