PDA

View Full Version : How would you switch over from VHO to MH?

Andy
04-19-2003, 01:47 PM
In about a week, I will be receiving all of the components for a MH/VHO lighting setup. I will be running three 400 watt radiums and two VHO actinics over my 280 reef. For the last year, I've been running with six 5' VHOs and a single 4' NO actinic. Obviously, the new lighting will be significantly more intense than what I am currently running. Many of the corals I have, have been under VHO for the last 5 years or so. How would you go about the transition from one to another. Would you switch over to the new lighting system completely or run both lighting setups for a period of time slowly increasing the MH lighting period and decreasing the VHO lighting period. I am in a position where I can run both. I have heard some people say that they put some light diffuser between the MH and tank to reduce the intensity during the transition period. I have also read of people bleaching their sps during a VHO/MH transition. Any comments or thoughts as to how you would proceed.

Thanks,

Andy

stephane
04-20-2003, 06:41 AM
go very slow Andy! the Radium on Agro ballast are very very powerfull
if it was me I keep you fluo on same shedul you have now. Then begin with 1/2 houre MH a day with increase of 5 to 15 min each day at 5 houre take a couple week break staying 5 houre a day and restart the increase to your desire end IMO 8-9 houre is enought. the slower the better!

When you burn a coral it is to late and he take forever to come back.
So be very carefull or you will bleach coral. I compare this if you get a sunburn but continue to go out every day under the sun....you will continue to burn burn burn ..... but if you take the time to adapt it is fast
and no pain :lol:

good luck and keep us update

zulu_principle
04-20-2003, 07:34 AM
i agree with stephane.

The wait can drive you crazy but should result in no bleaching.

Watch your temp once you increase the light cycle on the MH and consider moving some of your prized possesions lower in the tank.

Some think with the higher lighting you should consider increased flow....

Oh ya, increased lighting usually results in more growth, watch CA and ALK.

Algae Bloom..........keep your nutrients low.

Wendell