PDA

View Full Version : What to grow in a refugeium

my2rotties
10-02-2008, 04:16 PM
In our tank build we of course are installing a sump but I want a refugeium. What do you guys "plant" in it? Can non marine plants be grown in salt water? It sounds like a nobrainer type question, but I figured I should ask any ways. Thanks in advance. Diana

Pier Pressure
10-02-2008, 04:27 PM
From what I have read most people grow cheato and other algaes in their refugiums. I do not have one myself so hopefully you get some more knowledgeable answers.

rocketlily
10-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Following along with this one.

Starry
10-02-2008, 05:13 PM
I have cheato and LR rubble in mine, the pods love it and helps with added bio filtration as well.

my2rotties
10-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks please keep the answers coming. I was hoping I might perhaps put garden flowers in it in the late winter and take advantage of the lights and natural fertilizers. It would be nice to make my outdoor garden from my indoor garden... I just wonder if garden plants could take the salt water. I don't even know if you can transfer stuff grown in water to soil any ways... it just seems like it would be fun to try if possible.

Marlin65
10-02-2008, 06:14 PM
You can use soil mixed with mud, but I would stay away from the fresh water plants most will not survive. There is lots of Macro algae available that you can chose from. Some will need some supplement feeding though.
I personally don't like the free floating ones like cheato.

FitoPharmer
10-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Macro algae is number 1, increase surface area for pods to multiply, takes up trates and phosphates. heres some pics of a few types of what i have some arn't really good for a reef tank though. cheato is the very best and is the most common. there is probably someone near you that has some already and is willing to share.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44890
a small DSB or just some fine sand with a little bit or lots of LR. make sure if its a refuge chamber and there are pumps near by that there are good baffles that wont let sand into your pump. make sure your turnover in your fuge is good enough for the LR and LS to get good filtration (at least +10x)
other then that, i would only set up an egg crate or other sort of fragging set-ups depending on what kind of frags your main tank will mainly produce.