PDA

View Full Version : Phosban Reactor - Quantities

Oscar
10-02-2008, 03:19 AM
My Two Little Fishies reactor has now arrived and I have given it a brief test in the Rubbermaid to make sure I understood how it works and to set the flow rate. This weekend I will install it in my tank.

I want to run both phosban and carbon but I am having a hard time figuring out both quantities and length of time before changing materials. Most comments revert back to "it depends".

I would like to insert phosban and carbon quantities that will "expire" at about the same time so that I can dump both at the same time.

Anyone care to give me some sort of rule of thumb on quantities and duration?

Thanks in advance

christyf5
10-02-2008, 03:51 AM
Ok your best bet if this is what you want to do is to run the carbon in a filter bag, that way you can yank it out to change it. I'm not really sure that changing your phosban out at the same time is a financially sound idea as it is designed to work for months and the carbon only weeks. By separating the two you can easily change out the carbon without having the two mix.

Quantities. Unfortunately running less phosban doesn't mean you change it more often, it just means you're not using it as efficiently and there isn't enough phosban to get your phosphate to zero. In order to use it properly you really do need to run the suggested amount on the container. As for carbon, I run about a cup for my 100g water volume.

Oscar
10-02-2008, 03:59 AM
Thanks Christy. Just the sort of info I was looking for.

Is there any way to tell when either your carbon or phosban is getting close to exhaustion?

christyf5
10-02-2008, 04:01 AM
Well I try to change out my carbon on a regular basis. I don't really notice any major differences in water quality or corals when its "exhausted" (ie. a month later) but I do notice a difference when I don't run it. If that makes any sense.

As for the phosban, you'll know when either 1. you test your phosphate or 2. you start getting algae growth. I have algae growing all the time so I just test my phosphate. Alternatively you can just change out your phosban every couple of months or so.

PoonTang
10-02-2008, 04:26 AM
Same as Christy, 1 cup of carbon per month. Phosban says on the package i have (Rowaphos) 100ml per 50 gal and to reactivate it every 2 months I think.

Oscar
10-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Same as Christy, 1 cup of carbon per month. Phosban says on the package i have (Rowaphos) 100ml per 50 gal and to reactivate it every 2 months I think.

I will start there, thanks.