C-Hawks
04-17-2003, 11:24 PM
Has anyone heard anything about this new rock that they have at J&L :question:

ndonily
04-17-2003, 11:49 PM
Well... if it comes from J&L you know it has to be good. :lol:

Jack
04-18-2003, 12:42 AM
Welcome to the board to the both of you.

I recieved the regular montly e-mail notice from J&L and they seem happy with the rock. Lots of coralline, interesting shapes, and resonable sized pieces. Check out the website sometime soon, I hear they are posting pictures. For that price though it's a great deal to start up a tank with.

Quinn
04-18-2003, 01:13 AM
photos are up. looks like good stuff, however i won't be ordering any, got something else in the works :razz:

Jack
04-18-2003, 01:52 AM
Oh ok. A draw back to this rock is you have to order a box which only comes in 70lb sizes. Oh well, that's why bulk is cheap!

C-Hawks
04-18-2003, 02:53 AM
I'm thinking of splitting the box with my brother in law. 35lbs seems to be a more reasonable amount.

vjvl51
04-19-2003, 10:00 AM
I received my box on Friday. (Air Canada lost the shipment which caused a 20 hour delay.) In my newbie eyes, it looks good.

I posted some pictures here http://groups.msn.com/Vickies/marinetanks.msnw

Vickie

Bob I
04-19-2003, 03:17 PM
I received my box on Friday. (Air Canada lost the shipment which caused a 20 hour delay.) In my newbie eyes, it looks good.

I posted some pictures here http://groups.msn.com/vanLunes/salttank.msnw

Vickie

Tried to look at that, but it is a members only area.

Canadian Man
04-19-2003, 04:42 PM
couldn't see it either.

vjvl51
04-19-2003, 11:21 PM
I didn't realize it was members only. I'll see if I can change a setting so you can see it. If someone knows how, please help.

Sorry

Vickie

I found a setting to unhide these photos. See if that works.

We use this site to share family photos with our family that don't live in Canada. Maybe they had to join before they could see the photos. I'll have to ask.

If this doens't work can someone suggest a site that you could see or can I post the photos here?

Vickie

christyf5
04-19-2003, 11:45 PM
It worked for me :D But then I am signed in to msn. Maybe thats how it works??

BTW the green stuff is halimeda, a calcareous algae. Looks like nice rock

Christy :)

vjvl51
04-19-2003, 11:58 PM
Thanks Christy. Now I have a name to look up in my books to find out if it is good algae or bad algae.

Vickie

christyf5
04-20-2003, 12:00 AM
Definitely good. I love it. Of course others may not :wink:

Christy :)

Canadian Man
04-20-2003, 12:43 AM
Now I can see it. Looks good!

Quinn
04-20-2003, 05:38 AM
couldn't agree more with the comment about how much more life is on the rock in the photos versus rock in LFS's. i was in three LFS's in calgary today, and their "live" rock looks about as live as the base rock i picked up, which has been out of water for about five years.

Bob I
04-20-2003, 02:57 PM
couldn't agree more with the comment about how much more life is on the rock in the photos versus rock in LFS's. i was in three LFS's in calgary today, and their "live" rock looks about as live as the base rock i picked up, which has been out of water for about five years.

Your comment is generally correct, but have you been to Gold's? His rock looked far better than the other guys' I have noticed that Big Al's, and Wai's is usually crap. If you get it at Pisces when it arrives, it is usually better, but the rest of the time it too is crap. :rolleyes:

Quinn
04-20-2003, 05:20 PM
never been to gold's. pisces had a chunk of red lava rock in their LR tank, which is rather deceiving to the uneducated reefer. but i've never been impressed by their starving triggers, dead mandarins being eaten by crabs and dried-out coral beauty angels on the ground. :mad:

Bob I
04-20-2003, 06:08 PM
never been to gold's. pisces had a chunk of red lava rock in their LR tank, which is rather deceiving to the uneducated reefer. but i've never been impressed by their starving triggers, dead mandarins being eaten by crabs and dried-out coral beauty angels on the ground. :mad:

I would suggest you avoid places you don't like. A number of us have recently made the trek to Gold Aquarium. They had some real nice Indonesian LR, with good growth and shapes, and relatively inexpensive. Don't ask, as I have forgotten the price. :smilecol:

Quinn
04-20-2003, 06:59 PM
i will have to check them out, as i will be needing a few large flat slabs of rock.