PDA

View Full Version : Lights Covers

Barrett.Oliver
09-30-2008, 07:30 PM
I was wondering what type of an effect a plexi cover on a light would have on the effects it has on your tank life, and the same question applied to a plexi tank covering? Does anyone have any insight on this topic for me? Many thanks for any help to come.

Barrett

mseepman
09-30-2008, 11:30 PM
Problem with a covering of plexi right on the tank is that it will a) hold the heat in and b) get splashed or covered in moisture...as such blocking the light into the tank.

You would have to be religious about cleaning the top up if you thought that heat wouldn't be an issue.

I have heard on different occasions that it is said to interfere with proper oxygen exchange as well but I'm not too convinced on this.

Drock169
10-01-2008, 05:51 AM
I could see the oxygen thing as an issue only if the tank wasnt drilled.

Barrett.Oliver
10-01-2008, 04:35 PM
So.... I won't be putting plexi over the tank itself.

How about anyone knowing the effects of the plexi with the cover over simply the light itself? How drastically will this effect PAR(I think this is what I'm supposed to be worried about) as this would likely extended the life of the fixture itself covering it.

Thanks again for all the help before and any help to come.,
Barrett

RuGlu6
10-01-2008, 06:26 PM
depends what you got in your tank.
In my 6 Gal Nano i never clean the glass cover and its covered with salt creep for month or two before i clean, also PC bulbs are two years old some tree years old as an experiment i only changed one bulb when its burnt. no water change ither...
I got mushrooms, leather and some kind of star polyps all grow and multiply.
I have no fish in this tank though.

But back to the cover issue it is OK if you have low light demanding coral in there
JMO

goldie
10-01-2008, 07:31 PM
is there anything that I can cover the tank with to slow down the evaporation? It seems like I am adding water every other day!