PDA

View Full Version : Finally caught the bad crab... Now what?

likwid
09-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Hey guys,

I finally caught the bad crab that had been living in my rock. I dont know what to do with him now, the tank is all-in-one, so there is no sump, and the local fish store in Lethbridge will not take him. Is my only option now to flush him?

BC564
09-30-2008, 03:04 PM
Are you coming to Calgary area anytime soon.....if you are I will take him....I have an aquarium set up for just those types of creatures.....they need a home too.

likwid
09-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Unfortunately I won't be in town for a while, I have a very busy month

Chin_Lee
09-30-2008, 04:19 PM
put into bag and freeze it. it will die peacefully

likwid
09-30-2008, 04:21 PM
put into bag and freeze it. it will die peacefully

Im sorry, but I would just feel really bad doing it that way. Having to put it into a bag, let it die in my freezer, and then have to look at it again when I take the bag out to throw away. I would rather get it done quickly, or find another alternative.

vazgor
09-30-2008, 04:28 PM
find someone to feed him too there all kinds of fish that like to eat crabs

Myka
09-30-2008, 04:56 PM
Freezer is the most humane thing you can do. More humane than feeding him to something, and much more humane than squishing him or something like that. The freezer method is what the (good) LFS's use.

likwid
09-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Freezer is the most humane thing you can do. More humane than feeding him to something, and much more humane than squishing him or something like that. The freezer method is what the (good) LFS's use.

So I catch him and stick him in a plastic bag, but do I put water in it as well? How long do I keep him in the freezer for before he dies? Is there any chance of him coming back to life after un-thawing, or any chance of it cutting the bag open?

Myka
09-30-2008, 05:28 PM
So I catch him and stick him in a plastic bag, but do I put water in it as well? How long do I keep him in the freezer for before he dies? Is there any chance of him coming back to life after un-thawing, or any chance of it cutting the bag open?

Put just enough (tank) water in the bag to cover him up when you hold the bag up. If he's really small then turn the bag so he's in a corner, then only put enough water to cover him up in the corner. The less water the better because he will freeze faster. The amount of time depends on the amount of water, but I just put them in there overnight, then there's no room for error. If he's big enough he could cut the bag (he probably won't anyway), then put him in a tupperware container, but remember when he's frozen you will need to dip the container in some wam water to get the frozen part to pop out.

PoonTang
09-30-2008, 05:39 PM
Boiling water and a garlic butter dip.

likwid
09-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Boiling water and a garlic butter dip.

Haha I was waiting for someone to post something along those lines.

Anyways, thanks for the help guys, I will be freezing him tonight.