PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Wrasse. missing

Jordan_Oreo
09-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Hey, I have had this yellow wrasse for a while like 3+ months and had no problems except he jumped out of the tank once a long time ago. But I cant seem to find him now ? hes not around the tank on the ground and has been missing for about 3-4 days Any I deas on how I could find him ? or Where he could be ? this is what he looks like
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/images/298_yellowwrassesaltn00b.jpg
Thanks
J

levi1803
09-30-2008, 02:44 PM
wow, that is one awesome looking fish, My wrasse went missing for a few days and I ended up finding him in the back of the filter of my biocube.

MikeP
09-30-2008, 04:00 PM
My blue sided wrasse jumped into my overflow and ended up in my sump once (my new tank cover prevents that from happening again). I also have a flasher wrasse that likes to live in a hole in a piece of live rock.

Delphinus
09-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Two possibilities. One, he is just hiding out for a few days. They can bury themselves in the sand, they can hide in the rocks. When I had mine, I noticed that he could disappear for days at a time only to reappear later. Amazing how well they can hide.

Second possibility is he jumped and is on the floor somewhere as carpet jerky. All wrasses jump and these guys are no exception - in fact I lost mine to jumping. I have an eggcrate cover over my tank for the exact reason to keep jumpers from escaping and nevertheless he penetrated the barrier somehow - exactly how I'll never know. Either he fit through the 0.5" squares (which I thought he was way too big for) or he jumped with enough force to lift the eggcrate enough to let him fall out and then the eggcrate fell back in place.

Myka
09-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Do you have a cat or dog that may eat him if he jumped out?

Jordan_Oreo
09-30-2008, 09:19 PM
My mom found the wrasse while i was at school. It was found dead on the other side of the room under a cabnit. How it got that far i dont know but iam going to miss him:cry:

karazy
09-30-2008, 09:25 PM
aww man that sucks.
i bet what happened was he jumped out the flip flopped himself over there.
RIP yellow wrasse

Pier Pressure
09-30-2008, 09:48 PM
Sorry for your loss. I had a cleaner wrasse jump out of the pail when we were climatizing him for our tank, and then he jumped out twice more to be rescued before we eventually found him jerkified in front of the TV - which is across the room. We also have two cats who showed no interest. Apparently the cats are WAY too well fed. Like karazy said - I bet he flopped over there once he realized he was out of water.

justinl
10-01-2008, 08:49 PM
sucks to lose such a pretty fish. Well, let this be a lesson: all wrasses need a cover/canopy to prevent carpet surfing. no exceptions. I made a canopy just so I could get a yellow wrasse... definitely worth the effort.

Doo
10-01-2008, 09:31 PM
I lost 2 of them in 2 days with eggcrate on the tank!
They just jumped through it...

Jordan_Oreo
10-01-2008, 10:19 PM
I have a mesh over it now to prevent anything jumping again