PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp

Dorkel Marine 1
04-17-2003, 07:39 AM
A few questions about shrimp and wether they need an iodine supplement to thrive. i have soft corals, crabs and a few fish all doing very well in my set-up. I had a peppermint shrimp for about 1 month and then one day the hermit crabs were having a shrimp picnic. Before this happened in the evening he would go paleish and do circles in the tank. Around and around he went. He did this for about a week and then well the crabs enjoyed their shrimp dinner. Has anyone else had this experience, and again do you guys use iodine supplements. i do a monthly 25% water change in my 27 gal tank.

Thanks in advance

George Muller

Beverly
04-17-2003, 01:31 PM
A few questions about shrimp and wether they need an iodine supplement to thrive. I had a peppermint shrimp for about 1 month and then one day the hermit crabs were having a shrimp picnic. Before this happened in the evening he would go paleish and do circles in the tank. Around and around he went. He did this for about a week and then well the crabs enjoyed their shrimp dinner.i do a monthly 25% water change in my 27 gal tank.

Sorry to hear about your shrimp.

We do not supplement any of our 2.5, 7 or 42 gal reefs, but do weekly 10-15% water changes and other weekly maintenance instead. The frequent water changes, IMO, eliminate the need for supplements as the new water will add alomst everything, if not everything, that the animals have taken out since the last water change.

HTH.

Jack
04-17-2003, 03:54 PM
Maybe your shrimp molted? Are you sure it's dead. Have a good look around. A few times I have been caught thinking my shrimp was dead but all it was was the dead exact copy, molt style :lol:

Skimmerking
04-17-2003, 04:06 PM
My shrimp did the same thing too. i thought that all 3 were gone and they were all molted it looks preety good..