PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get copepods?

Frenchie
09-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Where can I find some copepods for my tank? I just set up a 230 gallon tank and need to get some copepods to build a population.

Also, can I just put them in my display tank and let them breed or do I have to breed them in a seperate tank?

ElGuappo
09-29-2008, 07:51 PM
whats in the tank ? if the tank is empty except lr and sand they will come give it some time. if you want to drop of some cheato i can put it in my rsm for a week or so as it has a plethera of copa and amphi pods in it. no fish just snails. finished cycling and have been trying to sell but its still running.

Frenchie
09-29-2008, 08:05 PM
There are some clowns, and an anemity, lots of snails and crabs, some zoos. Probably around 250 - 300 lbs of lr.

I currently dont have any cheato or a fuge.

Can I just order a bottle and drop them in? or is there a better way.

slakker
09-29-2008, 08:11 PM
I buy the Tigger Pods from J&L... I also feed phyto in my tank as a precaution to make sure there's food from the bottom of the food chain so to speak...

I usually open up the whole bottle and wedge it into a rock crevice, move it 2 or 3 times over the hour then pour what remaining out into the tank.

TJSlayer
09-29-2008, 08:51 PM
I wouldn'y buy the tiger pods... very very small.

Get some cheato or somehting from another tank in your area, then drop it in an area where it has some shelter, the more the merrier....

They will reproduce naturally.
TJ

Frenchie
09-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Do you have to put the cheato in a fuge or can you put it in your display tank?

slakker
09-29-2008, 09:25 PM
I like the tigger pods, good size for the smaller fishes... the amphipods are a bit big for some of the fishes...

You can also build a pod pile if you have room. Just pile up LR rubble covered with a small strawberry basket (or not).

I notice that when I take rocks out to frag, etc, more often than not, I find pods squirming out.

Delphinus
09-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Grow chaeto in a fuge if you can. It's a bit awkward in the main display because it is free floating, so it needs containment. Michika has a pop bottle idea, check out her thread if a separate fuge isn't an option this point. I tried growing some in a suspended eggcrate basket, it did really well until someone (probably my rabbitfish) figured out it was good to eat and poof one day it was just gone.

Anyhow, for live copepods... they just appear on their own, literally. As long as you have real live rock they will come. With all synthetic or previously dried live rock, you'll need to seed them with some real live rock still.

PS. Forgot to mention if you're looking for chaeto I can set you up with some as I need to do some pruning of mine.. let me know if you're interested..