PDA

View Full Version : Coraline

Jordan_Oreo
09-29-2008, 01:34 PM
Hey, Iam new here. I was told about this site from someone on ReefCentral. I have been looking for a Canadian site like this. Here is my questiong, How do you promote coraline growth ? I have set up a second tank its 60G and cycling. If I took a rock from my other tank with coraline on it and placed it in this one would it start it growing ?
Thanks

J

Aquattro
09-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Jordan, welcome to Canreef. Coraline needs basic parameters, as I'm sure you know, but to help spread the growth, try scraping the coraline off an existing rock. This will spread the spores around the tank.
Some people add a myriad of products to promote growth, but I've never found it neccesary.

Jordan_Oreo
09-29-2008, 01:39 PM
I will try that, thank you

ElGuappo
09-29-2008, 05:37 PM
i use Purple up about 1 time a week. could be used daily but i find no need.

wickedfrags
09-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Coraline algae, all you need is time (given proper amounts of calcium, magnesium and stable alkalinity).

Also, don't be suprised if you do not have coraline on the top of your liverocks (where it gets the most light), it often takes off in areas of less light first. I would not worry about out myself, if you see the rockwork that means you have space for another coral! :)

christyf5
09-29-2008, 05:55 PM
Aiming a powerhead at an area with good coralline growth will also help move it about the tank as it produces "spores". I find this helped a lot in one of my older tanks :biggrin: