PDA

View Full Version : skimmer adjustment question

gkersten
09-29-2008, 04:45 AM
I have had my skimmer working well for 6 months . ASM g5 does a good job but I have little to compare it to . My question is do you want the skimmate to be very dark brown and dry as possible or more yellow and wetter. This is obviously variable depending on the water flow adjustment to the skimmer but what advantage is there over a dryer or wetter product :question:

TJSlayer
09-29-2008, 02:26 PM
I may be off here, but a dryier skim is more of the nasty stuff, while it allows more benefical stuff to pass by. One thing for sure is that with a drier skim you empty the cup less and a wetter skim your doing it much more frequently.

ElGuappo
09-29-2008, 05:57 PM
I may be off here, but a dryier skim is more of the nasty stuff, while it allows more benefical stuff to pass by. One thing for sure is that with a drier skim you empty the cup less and a wetter skim your doing it much more frequently.

+1 you want the skimmate as nasty as possible.

bassman
09-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Also keep in mind that the skimmate contains salt water, so the more you empty it the faster your salt levels will drop in your tank.

Canadian
09-30-2008, 01:43 AM
If you want to remove more phosphate and nitrate skim wetter (yellower). Dry skimmate generally produces a lot of baby 4hit in the neck of the skimmer whereas wet skimmate gets it into the collection cup. The dry stuff in the neck continues to contact the water column and hasn't been effectively removed.

RuGlu6
09-30-2008, 06:32 AM
Skimm wet , empty cup often is a way to go