PDA

View Full Version : LF Coral Skeletons

GreenSpottedPuffer
09-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Not really "livestock" I guess but I couldn't decide which forum to put this in...not equipment either.

Setting up a FO tank and looking for some white coral skeletons. Need some pretty big ones if possible. Does anyone know where I can find them? I have seen the odd one here and there at stores but never a big selection or anything. Or of you have some old ones laying around that you want to sell, let me know.

BC Mosaic
09-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Check out the rock and gem/lapidary stores; i.e. Capilano Rock and Gem on Pemberton on the North Shore.

Stab_Master_Arson
09-27-2008, 08:45 PM
They Sometimes coat the coral at those places with toxic lacquer and other weird things. I don't know how that would stand up in an aquarium.

I have seen pieces like the ones you are looking for at J&L, but be prepared to pay hefty for them

atcguy
09-27-2008, 11:44 PM
hmmm wow fish swimming around dead coral... Beautuful.. Just do liverock and gets some coraline algae on there for some color... Dont you find the white skeletons tacky,,, Just my 2 cents,,

GreenSpottedPuffer
09-28-2008, 12:24 AM
hmmm wow fish swimming around dead coral... Beautuful.. Just do liverock and gets some coraline algae on there for some color... Dont you find the white skeletons tacky,,, Just my 2 cents,,

Thanks but I was not looking for your "2 cents" and don't really care whether or not YOU find it tacky. I have no idea why you felt the need to post this.

BC Mosaic
09-28-2008, 02:52 AM
They Sometimes coat the coral at those places with toxic lacquer and other weird things....

Hmmm. News to me unless they were just small frags made into pendants. Dead large colony pieces I doubt are coated. Its worth a check anyway and if coated, easy to spot and not buy.:lol:

GreenSpottedPuffer
09-28-2008, 05:22 AM
Hmmm. News to me unless they were just small frags made into pendants. Dead large colony pieces I doubt are coated. Its
worth a check anyway and if coated, easy to spot and not buy.:lol:

Yeah its something I will keep an eye on. Im not looking for too many but I hope to find some very large ones. I am turning my big tank into a FO tank and moving all my corals into another tank that will be the reef.

I was staying in a hotel that had a beautiful FO tank with huge coral skeletons and loved it. These ones were like 2' wide though. The tank must be close to 1000G I would say.

I will keep looking!

Drock169
09-28-2008, 05:37 AM
they were on sale at J&L not too long ago 50% off, not sure if they still are though

Keri
09-28-2008, 08:36 AM
I've seen them at King ed's before - some inside, some outside where the other rocks are (I tyhink inthe cubbies near the gravel)

.... and I remember seeing something recently on craigslist.....

here's the link!
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/for/848966551.html

Hope that helps!

edit: Look, I found another one!

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/clt/848993377.html