PDA

View Full Version : Ecosystem 40 Hang-On for sale

Tropical Paradise
04-16-2003, 08:05 PM
hi,

Due to recent fire caused by my Custom Sealife Power Compact light, insurance company replaced my whole setup. I ordered an Ecosystem 40 Hangon among other equipments. I could not use the Ecosystem because it won't fit on the rim of my new 55 gal tank.

I have used Ecosystem on my previous 46 gallon bowfront with wonderful result. If anyone is interested in giving Ecosystem a try, now is the time. This unit sells for $449 locally. Save $100 now. I am asking 350 only. Let me know if u are interested.

Kai-Wei

Samw
04-16-2003, 09:00 PM
Very sorry to hear about the fire. This is going off-topic but could you explain, in another thread if you like, what caused the lights to start a fire? Were the CSL lights sold as a complete canopy or as a retrofit kit? The potential for fire was why I decided not to retrofit my office nano with PC lights and why I prefer to build canopies with fire-resistent wood.

Bob I
04-16-2003, 09:34 PM
Very sorry to hear about the fire. This is going off-topic but could you explain, in another thread if you like, what caused the lights to start a fire? Were the CSL lights sold as a complete canopy or as a retrofit kit? The potential for fire was why I decided not to retrofit my office nano with PC lights and why I prefer to build canopies with fire-resistent wood.

I am curious too. I have two CSL 32W retrofit lights in a wooden canopy. The lights give off almost no heat, and the remote ballast give off no heat at all. I don't see how they can cause a fire. :arrow: :question:

Samw
04-16-2003, 10:08 PM
I'm not too concerned about heat from a PC lamp itself. I'd be more concerned about faulty wiring or improper installation in general that could cause arcing between 2 wires that could start a fire. In the case of MH lighting, heat could melt the wire insulation and expose wires to cause arcing. PFO had an issue with their 250W mini-pendants. Their wires were rated for 105C which would seem fine but the heat in the pendant exceeded that and melted the insulation.

Tropical Paradise
04-16-2003, 11:36 PM
The exact cause of the fire is still undetermined. The adjuster hired an electrical engineer to investigate it. He's been looking into it since last December. I don't konw if they will ever find the cause. This guy is supposely the "forensic expert" in this area. If CSL was at fault, I guess insurance company will sue CSL.

Kai-Wei

Bob I
04-17-2003, 12:38 AM
The exact cause of the fire is still undetermined. The adjuster hired an electrical engineer to investigate it. He's been looking into it since last December. I don't konw if they will ever find the cause. This guy is supposely the "forensic expert" in this area. If CSL was at fault, I guess insurance company will sue CSL.

Kai-Wei

There is one thing interesting about all this. If it is the same retro kit I have, there is no CSA, or UL certification that I can find. Being an Electrician that is something I look for. I guess I learned that in Trade School. :redface: