PDA

View Full Version : 36" Tek lights

my2rotties
09-25-2008, 04:24 PM
I purchased two of these units with 6 bulbs in each. There are two 39w aquablues, two 39w mid-days and two 39w aquaclears. I bought them both for $500 from the fellow that sold me the 260g tank. I saw the thread about MH lighting and the fact that the Tek lights are as good or comparable. With these lights can I have things like clams and corals? I really do not want MH lighting, but if it is needed in the future for my dream tank, I guess I would have to do it.

I do not know a whole lots about these lights, or how to time them correctly. I Each one has two separate switches that turn on either two lights, or four, or all if they are both on. How many hours do they need to be on and which ones? Is there a link anyone knows of that could tell me about this. I hate asking questions that have been asked already, but when I do a search I have such an overload of info, it gets overwhelming.

I also do not know how many hours are on these lights. Is there a way of telling they are past their lifespan? They are really darned bright, but that may not mean much.The seller said there is about eight months on them. Will they produce huge amounts of heat? It does not seem like it, but they have not been on an operating system, and will not be for quite some time yet.

Thanks in advance for any help or info. I have had a marine aquarium for ten months, but it is not big and it does not have these lights, although the ones I upgraded to cost a small fortune in comparison to these lights that appear to be so much more.

JDigital
09-25-2008, 04:38 PM
So you are running 12 bulbs total @ 432Watts. I would say that is probably enough light to keep most any coral you choose in the future, what will matter is what depth you place your corals in the tank.

As for timing, you can pick up a couple cheap timers from any Home Depot/Rona etc. The two cords are to split your Actinics from your daytime lights. You can run your actinics 24hours if you choose to, but your daytimes should range from 8-12 hours.

The seller said there is 8months on the bulbs... was that 8 months left? or they had been used for 8months already? I suspect they have been used for 8 months already, which should give you about 4-6 months before you need to replace them. T5's, from my research, should be replaced every 12-14months (I think.. crap, can't remember now.. lol) They may produce heat, there are 12 bulbs there, but I don't think they will produce the same heat as 2 or 3 MH's would. Don't those Tek fixtures have built in fans anyways? ;)

Hope this helps somewhat.

michika
09-25-2008, 05:11 PM
They should be fine for anything you want to keep!

1) Pick up some timers if you want, or just pick some times. I run my lights for 12 hours a day, I start with my T5s for 3 hours, then my MHs turn on for 6 hours, and then its just T5s again for another 3. I run my lights excessively and I know it. Synch up your lighting times with when you will most likely be watching the tank. If your up late, run them late, etc.

I'm not super familar with the Tek lights but I think you are saying you have two lighting options for each strip; one switch turns on two bulbs, and the other switch turns on the remaining 2 bulbs. Yes? No?

2) Leave the bulbs as they are for now, 8 months is fine for a little while. There are lots of nice bulb options that have come out recently. If you can try and see a few tanks with the new Figi Purple, and maybe a few different actinic options. I can show you what I have when you come to get your food. If you don't like the colours that your fixtures are producing now, take the opportunity to figure out what you do like, so that your replacement bulbs are more inline with your taste.

my2rotties
09-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the reply. I do not see any cooling fans on the ballasts at all, or hear anything when they are running. My tank is 30" deep, so if I wanted anything close to the bottom the light would have to travel down fairly far.

Some day in the future I would love some hard corals, but I am not ready for a calcium reactor and such. My 70g sump is being built to house one, but I want to stick with the softies for awhile. I have a sea anenome and have had him for months, and although I hear they are hard to keep, this one is very HUGE and healthy. Too bad my clownfish won't host him, instead they are hosting my open brain coral.

He said the lights had eight months use on them, but I might just replace everything after I cycle this thing and add life to the tank in the next few months.

my2rotties
09-25-2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks Catherine:biggrin:

The light has one switch to turn two of the six lights on one being the aquaclear and the other being the aquablue. The other switch turns on the remainder....I turn my lights on the 55g at 9am and off at 9pm. My cleaner wrasse and foxface go to bed at this time anyways. I live in the woods, and when the new tank lights are on while we are working on it, it lights the house up like daylight in the pitch darkness. I always joke about it being a good thing people don't think we have a grow op in this house. I am pleased that these lights will do, since MH give off so much heat and use a lot of energy.

We have power surges and outages here in Bragg Creek a lot, and are already planning for an emergency generator for the aquarium. I don't care if we freeze, or have no power, but watching my fish die would not be good. I saw that happen when the Ehiem quit last year when we first moved into this house with the old system.

Hurry up and make the food woman!!! You are killing me over here. I am dying to see your set up.

They should be fine for anything you want to keep!

1) Pick up some timers if you want, or just pick some times. I run my lights for 12 hours a day, I start with my T5s for 3 hours, then my MHs turn on for 6 hours, and then its just T5s again for another 3. I run my lights excessively and I know it. Synch up your lighting times with when you will most likely be watching the tank. If your up late, run them late, etc.

I'm not super familar with the Tek lights but I think you are saying you have two lighting options for each strip; one switch turns on two bulbs, and the other switch turns on the remaining 2 bulbs. Yes? No?

2) Leave the bulbs as they are for now, 8 months is fine for a little while. There are lots of nice bulb options that have come out recently. If you can try and see a few tanks with the new Figi Purple, and maybe a few different actinic options. I can show you what I have when you come to get your food. If you don't like the colours that your fixtures are producing now, take the opportunity to figure out what you do like, so that your replacement bulbs are more inline with your taste.

michika
09-25-2008, 05:30 PM
Hahaha, I am dying to get into our new house so I can start doing a bunch of things...8 days is all thats left though!

I'm researching generators right now too. Its something I want to have in the big tank, and I think they are a great investment overall. You are definitely thinking ahead!

The more I do with my T5s the more I like them. Our next tank might, depending on what Sanjay's report comes out with, be all T5s!