PDA

View Full Version : watchman goby and pistol shrimp

cwickham
09-24-2008, 09:31 PM
just wondering if anyone has a technique to make them pair.

i heard that you could buy them together and keep them in a breeding trap for a few weeks and the likely hood of the pairing will increase allot?

anyone tryed anything like this and had success?

thanks
craig

Whatigot
09-24-2008, 09:52 PM
yes actually with varying success....
I think you get your chances a little higher for them to become symbiotic by dripping them into your tank together and taking them home from your lfs in the same bag but I have bought "pairs" at the store, only to come home and have them have nothing to do with one another, I have added a blackray shrimp goby to a tank and have it immediately find the pistol burrow and be inseperable from there...

Your best bet though is to go to the lfs and buy a pair that are already hanging out, you might have to watch the tank for a little while, but if you really want a symbiotic pair, it's the best way but hardly a guarantee.

cwickham
09-25-2008, 01:12 AM
thats what i will do... how much do these guys go for.. i havent really priced them out too much yet

BMW Rider
09-25-2008, 01:14 AM
I had a pink spot goby for a few years when I moved it to my new reef tank. Later I got a shrimp to pair up with it and they were a couple right away. Lasted until the goby died. So then I bought a watchmen goby and added it. It too paired up immediately with the shrimp and they are still both doing fine digging and hiding in the sand. I did nothing special either time, just put the newcomer in and let instincts take over.

Ian
09-25-2008, 03:57 AM
mine paired up as soon as I added the shrimp. I did nothing special after putting them in the tank together.