PDA

View Full Version : CO2 tank visual inspection - Rip off?

trilinearmipmap
09-24-2008, 08:31 PM
OK for years I got my CO2 tank refilled at the same place, it always cost about $30.00 for a 10 pound CO2 tank, probably a bit high because I live in a small town. Every so many years it needs a pressure test, I forget if it's every 5 years or so.

Last time I got the tank refilled the guy said "I had to vis it" ie. do a visual inspection, he claims this is necessary every year, it sounded like a bunch of B.S. to me but I thought I would check here. Charged 30 bucks for the CO2 and another 30 bucks for "visual inspection". They are the only CO2 place in town. I'm just wondering if there is anyone else had this happen to them and if the regulations for inspection/pressure testing of CO2 tanks are posted anywhere on the internet.

christyf5
09-24-2008, 08:42 PM
Weird. I pay anywhere between $18 and $22 for a fill and I have never had to pay for a "visual inspection" in the 5 years I've had my tank. I just had to have the hydro test done last week and that was only $15 (which I was shocked at, I thought it would be closer to $50). My CO2 guy does give it a hard look every time I take the tank in as its sort of rusty on the bottom and generally ain't pretty (I think its about 50 years old) but it passed the test and got the stamp and thats good enough for me until I can find another one.

fencer
09-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Visual inspection should cost you nothing. Hydrotesting yes. For 30.00 I would ask for a report on the connditon of the cylinder and a certificate. Was it posted on the wall as a charge. I would also ask to see his qualifications. Other than that i would complain to the owner of the company and ask what's going on and then take to consumer protection branch. In alberta it would be ABSA

Delphinus
09-24-2008, 10:46 PM
Sounds fishy to me..

Aquattro
09-24-2008, 11:05 PM
Fill costs me about 16, hydro test after 5 years was about 15, never heard of a Vis it. Sounds like BS to me.

mark
09-24-2008, 11:08 PM
I'm lucky, I just drop my 10 pounder off at the loading dock, go inside and kick over 13 bucks, walk out and there's a shiny full one sitting there. No paying for checks or inspections.

Other than welding shops have you tried a fire extinguisher place or a beverage distributor?

Know Rupert is at the end the of road but seems high.

atcguy
09-24-2008, 11:32 PM
your tank should be visual inspected once a year and hydro every 5.. I go to a place in richmond and walk in the back fork over a ten dollar bill and they fill mine.. once they took a look inside as the tank was completly out.,

marie
09-24-2008, 11:33 PM
I'm lucky, I just drop my 10 pounder off at the loading dock, go inside and kick over 13 bucks, walk out and there's a shiny full one sitting there. No paying for checks or inspections.

Other than welding shops have you tried a fire extinguisher place or a beverage distributor?

Know Rupert is at the end the of road but seems high.

Try $110, thats what it cost me the last time I had the fire extinguisher guy take my 10lb bottle and get it filled.

*edit* and before everyone starts questioning my sanity I won't be letting him fill it again. I would rather take it out of town myself to get it filled, at least then I get the pleasure of riding the ferries :rolleyes:

Johnny Reefer
09-24-2008, 11:39 PM
I don't think the annual visual inspection is BS, but to be charged $30 for it? Sounds like a rip-off based on what others are saying.

Aquattro
09-25-2008, 12:10 AM
I don't think the annual visual inspection is BS, but to be charged $30 for it? Sounds like a rip-off based on what others are saying.

Well, I've been filling mine for 6+ years, nobody has visually inspected it, at least haven't told me they did or charged me.

Johnny Reefer
09-25-2008, 04:03 AM
Ya, I was thinking on an industrial level. A privately owned bottle probably doesn't require it. I mean, who that owns a fire extinguisher for their home gets it inspected annually, or is even required to?

mark
09-25-2008, 04:15 AM
Ya, I was thinking on an industrial level. A privately owned bottle probably doesn't require it. I mean, who that owns a fire extinguisher for their home gets it inspected annually, or is even required to?

If you were discharging it and getting it refill every 6 months. What's a visual anyways, screwing off the valve and looking inside, screwing the valve back on, 30 bucks?

trilinearmipmap
09-25-2008, 04:28 AM
OK so the consensus is this guy is a scam artist.

It is the fire extinguisher shop by the way and the only place in town I know of that can fill CO2 tanks.

I will look into a beverage distributor or else going to Terrace to fill the tank.

dsaundry
09-25-2008, 04:35 AM
It may be a high price but the law in B.C. is that all pressurized refillable containers will have to go through an inspection. This includes propane cylinders and co2 etc, it also includes compressor tanks. The time frame for these tests is determined by the ""Yuk"" government. I dont know if it is a $30.00 fee for your container, try phoning worksafe B.C for the link to the site that monitors this...I agree that most of it is crap, but I have also seen what a pressurized cylinder can do when it lets go....

Johnny Reefer
09-25-2008, 04:57 AM
If you were discharging it and getting it refill every 6 months. ....
Not sure what this is in reference to. The fire extinguisher? I think a refill would basically take care of a fire extinguisher annual. I think most home extinguishers just sit there, and sit there, and sit there.....Hopefully it would work when needed.

... What's a visual anyways, screwing off the valve and looking inside, screwing the valve back on, ....
I believe so. For SCBAs anyway. But if I could beat the fire extinguisher thing to death a bit more....I'm pretty sure it's not done for those in that manner. At work we are required to have our extinguishers inspected annually. The contractor does this on site. They are not screwing any tops off and looking inside. They just basically give the exterior a once over...check the gauge (or weight in the case of CO2 ext)...and attach a new tag. I've witnessed it. It's nothing special. We basically do the same thing once a month as part of our routine checks.

wolf_bluejay
09-26-2008, 07:29 AM
This is true, but only on cylinders that over a specific psi. Hence, a lot of chemical fire extinguishers don't require a vis, but CO2 does.
Considering where this guy is, you might be able to find a local scuba shop, or anyone that can legally do a vis. Any one that fills high pressure tanks will usually have someone on site that can do it. The guy that is changing 30 bucks is probably not even doing it, but rather sending it off to one of the other gas company. I know the fire departments hand off the vis(and hydro's) to dive shops, or welding suppliers all the time. The guy doing the vis doesn't have to be the same guy to fill it.

And a hydro test shouldn't be above about $30. They just overfill the tank, and measure how much it expands.

It may be a high price but the law in B.C. is that all pressurized refillable containers will have to go through an inspection. This includes propane cylinders and co2 etc, it also includes compressor tanks. The time frame for these tests is determined by the ""Yuk"" government. I dont know if it is a $30.00 fee for your container, try phoning worksafe B.C for the link to the site that monitors this...I agree that most of it is crap, but I have also seen what a pressurized cylinder can do when it lets go....