PDA

View Full Version : Slappy, Michika's 10g nano

michika
09-24-2008, 06:03 PM
I'm calling my tank Slappy, as in slapped together, and we were talking about beavers in class yesterday who slap their tails on the water. I am loopy from lack of sleep.

Anyways of my budget of $300 I currently have $300....I feel like I need some monopoly money to legitimize my having of $300 dollars that I really don't have.

So onto the important stuff!

- My tank measures 10"w 12"h and 20"l, and it is 10g.
- I have no idea what I'm going to keep in it
- I need to find a dry piece of shelf rock
- I require sleep, and my loopyness is giving me delusions of grandeur about Slappy the 10g tank, and what I can reasonably accomplish with it in the 6 months from now until the end of the contest.

Anyone want to share the costs of buying some PVC pipe? I don't think I can use a whole stick of 1/2" and want to conserve my budget.

JDigital
09-24-2008, 09:59 PM
If I decide to add a sump, I am up for splitting some 1/2" pvc.

Stab_Master_Arson
09-25-2008, 05:18 AM
Do you guys think a sump would be worth while considering the cost of a pump and overflow?

Der_Iron_Chef
09-25-2008, 06:12 AM
Do you guys think a sump would be worth while considering the cost of a pump and overflow?

Yes.

michika
09-25-2008, 01:36 PM
I have allowed for a sump. I am also hoping to put it in for about $10, excluding the pump.

michika
09-25-2008, 05:43 PM
I've decided I'm going to go with a predominately SPS tank. I think I want to try for a clam, and maybe a few zoas. My preference would be to go for T5s, but bulbs aren't made small enough for a 20" wide tank. So MHs it is!

Since I'm moving next week I am pretty sure my tank will be off to a slow start. I know for a fact that I won't have water in it for the 15th.

I am also looking to maybe offset some costs by sharing with others, e.g. plumbing, PVC glue, etc.

JDigital
09-25-2008, 05:49 PM
I know for a fact that I won't have water in it for the 15th.

As long as there is water for the 15th of Nov.. :wink:

michika
09-25-2008, 05:57 PM
I think it will be chugging along by the beginning of November. Early October is such a gong-show for me when it comes to time. The thing that really pushes me back is that it takes 2 weeks for silicone to properly dry.

I am super excited to try out a few new things in this little system.

ElGuappo
09-25-2008, 07:10 PM
As long as there is water for the 15th of Nov.. :wink:

this is good to know as i am moving at the end of oct.

michika
10-07-2008, 06:57 PM
I had such an awesome idea for this little tank, but now I am on the fence as to if I can or should participate. :(

JDigital
10-07-2008, 07:07 PM
I had such an awesome idea for this little tank, but now I am on the fence as to if I can or should participate. :(

Ahh... why the change of heart?

GreenSpottedPuffer
10-07-2008, 08:32 PM

Do it! Do it! Do it! I had my idea completely fall through! Just get a new one! That's what I am doing.

What lights did you plan on BTW? I have been looking into MH but with this budget, its hard! I am considering a DIY from a shop light if I can find a cheap ballast. Then just getting a cheap HQI bulb from ebay :D

Do it still!

michika
10-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Its come down to a cost/space thing at this point. I still REALLY want to participate, but I am stupidly busy as of late and for most of October.

I am going to go with MH if I do this tank, or T5 as a back up. I can get a ballast for cheap, I have an old lightbulb kicking around here that I can get for cheap from myself, and all that leaves is a reflector.

I will do some more brainstorming on my way to Edmonton tonight and maybe I can get it off the ground in time for the November date.

michika
10-10-2008, 04:51 AM
I'm out.

JDigital
10-10-2008, 06:39 AM
:cry: bummer..

rocketlily
10-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Sorry to hear.

michika
10-10-2008, 03:47 PM
I had some seriously cool ideas too, which makes it pretty sad.

Since I am not participating though, I am more then willing to help people drill their tanks, or anything else they need. I have a set of diamond tip hole saws.

If something turns around by November 15th though I would definitely try to hop in.

ElGuappo
10-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Too Bad i was looking forward to see what you had in store for the rest of us. :mrgreen:

Der_Iron_Chef
10-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Catherine, I would LOVE some help with drilling.

michika
10-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Send me a PM with the details and I will see what we can set up.

michika
10-22-2008, 06:07 PM
I am still bummed out that I can't participate in the contest. I am definitetly tempted though to go ahead and build a nano tank anyways... I really want to use some of the awesome ideas I came up with.

Chaloupa
10-22-2008, 06:14 PM
So go for it!:biggrin:

michika
10-22-2008, 08:03 PM
I am seriously debating it. Although I think I will just make a cube or something to encorporate SOME of my design ideas.

This contest is such an awesome idea, and I think its only going to help people by bringing out their creative sides. I just think, can you imagine what would happen if 10 reefers got together in one room and opted to build a tank together. Think of all the awesome ideas you could generate and execute!