PDA

View Full Version : How to contain these corals...?

hummer
09-24-2008, 02:41 PM
I bought a pulsing xenia, green star polyp and Kenya Tree when I first started my 90G 5 months ago. The xenia has split from 1 branch to 5 branches. Green star polyp has grown about 3" in diameter on a very large rock. Kenya Tree has tripled in size (about 4" tall) and has been dropping branches everywhere. I didn't think about them growing out of control at the time. Is there anything people do to control them from spreading?

Thanks!

gbeef
09-24-2008, 03:10 PM
Start trimming..scraping. depending the size of your tank the xenia and GSP can take over fast. In the past ive always kept all these items sperate from my main rock work and placed them in the sand bed.

I think the xenia is going to be a challenge.

good luck.

MikeP
09-24-2008, 03:24 PM
I did the same as gbeef. I have some gsp but I isolated it to one rock. I did the same with my kenya tree but eventually got tired of picking up the branches and got rid of it. As far as the xenia goes it will always move up towards the light. You can try moving it to the highest point in your tank so it cant go anywhere or isolate it on the bottom if your tank isn't too deep or you have stong lighting.

HTH

slakker
09-24-2008, 03:32 PM
I peel them off and bring them back for trade. I also notice the Xenias like to climb, so I place a them near rocks that have a plateau on them, so that they tend to climb to the peak and isolate themselves there.

don.ald
09-24-2008, 03:38 PM
when the Xenias split i place a frag plug just above the base. it will climb onto the plug as it goes for the light and then i give it away.

cdhollan
09-24-2008, 05:01 PM
I have had the same problem with all three of those. The GSP overgrows other corals and eventually kills them. And the kenya are notorious for sending branches all over the tank and starting new colonies. I honestly just rip them off now. Same with the GSP take a razor blade and peel them off so you can frag them, and watever doesnt peel off nice i just scrape till its gone. Be careful these corals can over take your tank in a blink of an eye.

hummer
09-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll try to see if i can isolate any of them. I don't have a sand bed so would the GSP grow onto the bottom of the glass?