PDA

View Full Version : the dreaded worms

psuedo
09-24-2008, 03:07 AM
The last tank that I had became so infested with flatworms that I decided to shut it down because it was just too much.

So I started putting together a tank and then added the rock after the regular curing period. Then I started to add my corals one at a time same with the fish. Everything was going great as I was dipping everything I added. Then I added some macro to my tank and I washed that as well. Then I look into my tank tonight and I find 4 flatworms, so I quickly pull them out and destroy them. How the heck did they get in with me being so frickin careful? The only thing I didn't dip was the nassarius snail, some hermits and 2 boxer crabs.

Luckily enough I have a six line wrasse who helped me when I was pulling the worms out of the tank and he ate one. I hope he can get any that are left over.

Stupid worms

briansmyth
09-24-2008, 03:28 AM
I am familiar with a reefer who had all kinds of flatworms in his tank - and he treated the tank to get rid of them. Unfortunately, the die off of so many flatworms all at once caused his tank to go toxic and he lost more than half of his fish and his corals. So, there is some kind of lesson here about controlling flatworms.

Delphinus
09-24-2008, 03:37 AM
Go with a canary wrasse (sometimes called yellow coris wrasse - although it's not a Coris genus at all - nowhere near as big). Gorgeous fish, bright yellow, and will decimate any flatworm population you may have. Look up "Halichoeres chrysus."

Not sure if I'd keep one with a sixline though. Sixlines can turn mean and aggressive as they get older - and are more than capable of inflicting a lot of damage on their perceived enemies.

Marlin65
09-24-2008, 03:37 AM
They go through a cycles from having only a few to having thousands.
No one is real sure but like everything else it is blamed on high nutrient to have them multiply.
They reproduce by fusion.

Marlin65
09-24-2008, 03:39 AM
Go with a canary wrasse (sometimes called yellow coris wrasse - although it's not a Coris genus at all - nowhere near as big). Gorgeous fish, bright yellow, and will decimate any flatworm population you may have.

Not sure if I'd keep one with a sixline though. Sixlines can turn mean and aggressive as they get older - and are more than capable of inflicting a lot of damage on their perceived enemies.

They are both known to eat flatworms. I know my yellow eats whatever it spots.:smile:

Marlin65
09-24-2008, 03:43 AM
I am familiar with a reefer who had all kinds of flatworms in his tank - and he treated the tank to get rid of them. Unfortunately, the die off of so many flatworms all at once caused his tank to go toxic and he lost more than half of his fish and his corals. So, there is some kind of lesson here about controlling flatworms.

You need to siphon as many out as you can before you treat and after as they are very toxic. You will also kill off your pods and who knows what else.
No treatment kills off just one thing.

psuedo
09-24-2008, 04:35 AM
I am hoping that I killed the only flatworms that were in the tank today as I only saw them today after I dumped in my 2 boxer crabs. I won't feed for a few days to help control nutrient level.

I am just gonna keep my fingers crossed and hope that they won't come back. My sixline wrasse always looks for things to eat so hopefully he is stealth in this tank