PDA

View Full Version : can't decide on flow/returns

spikehs
04-16-2003, 06:08 AM
I am having trouble deciding on how I should set up my returns for the new tank with each side drilled I plan on hooking up an SCWD to it somehow to get some nice current going, i thought of that AND having to more returns come over the back of the tank. As for rock there will be 1 pile in each of the back corners. I want to have lots of flow in it as this was a MAJOR problem with my previous tank...I want to try to get ~1000gph.....any suggestions :question: :question:

Jack
04-16-2003, 08:14 AM
You've probably mentioned this before... but what size tank and the dimensions of it?

spikehs
04-16-2003, 06:14 PM
50gal - 36x18x18

Delphinus
04-16-2003, 06:50 PM
Are we talking about the sump return, or a closed loop? I can't remember if you've said this already, so ... um .. sorry if I'm asking yet another question that's already been answered once before .... but, are you considering a closed loop at all?

The reason I ask this, I'm not really big on a lot of sump turnover any more. Obviously there is a minimum threshold. But the more the water rushes through the sump, the more you need to look at more dams and baffles and whatnot to prevent bubbles from reaching the pump intake, and becoming a microbubble nuisance in the main display.

To me, the ideal situation is a sump turnover that is "just enough" or a little more than minimal, and then making up the rest of the water movement through other means -- powerheads, closed loops or semi-closed loops (ie pump intake hidden inside the overflow).

spikehs
04-16-2003, 07:24 PM
well, definately not against a closed loop, but i really didn't want to (if possible) of any powerheads in the tank....So i supposed I could have the 2 holes on a closed loop then have the scwd hooked up to the returns....I would really like to have the scwd hooked up to the 2 side holes, but not sure if thats possible if i make that a closded loop.

Jack
04-16-2003, 09:01 PM
Oh right! You have that starphire 50 gal.. now I remember :rolleyes:

Have you ever seen the post on RC about the closed loop using a SCWD?

http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com/tank/closedloop.html

It looks like it produces some awesome current and would work quite nice on a tank that size. I've thought about using it on my 120 with a bigger Mag pump but I forget what the SCWD's are maxed out at (gph).

Biotech
04-18-2003, 01:15 PM
Jack, I checked the manual - "the unit is approved for use with pump applications not to exceed 1400 gph and a max of 5psi". I hooked mine to a MAK4 - so far so good - has been running for approx 3 months

Delphinus
04-18-2003, 03:43 PM
How fast does it change direction of flow on a MAK4?

Biotech
04-18-2003, 03:53 PM
I would say about 30 sec at max flow.

getoutofmyway
04-18-2003, 06:05 PM
Is the switching very loud or nice and quiet??

DJ88
04-18-2003, 06:54 PM
Spike,

I'll add in a few bits here..

From experience I can back up what Tony has said about flow in the sump. Go for hte minimum or a decen't flow rate through the sump. Say about 700-900 GPH. Then add in some sort of closed loop.

I am setting up a new system and will only have a small return pump but have a MAK4 on a losed loop system. I am also looking into a SCWD on say a MAG9 or 3MD for that alone to create some more random flow patterns.

For my returns I went shopping down south and purchased Loc line tubing. It allows me to angle the flow in any direction/angle I chose.

Take a peek online for that stuff. It is excellent for this application.

spikehs
04-18-2003, 07:51 PM
thanks, do you know where i can get some of this lock line stuff?

DJ88
04-18-2003, 08:02 PM
http://www.loc-line.com/

I bought mine from Champion Lighting.

http://www.championlighting.com/

Delphinus
04-19-2003, 12:32 AM
That Loc-Line stuff sure looks neat. Different nozzles and stuff too. Hmmm, more toys to buy. :biggrin:

Biotech
04-19-2003, 12:46 AM
The switching of the SCWD is very quiet
Spike - Wendell - Ocean Aquatics - carries Loc-Line. Wendell is in BC -

spikehs
04-19-2003, 12:59 AM
thanks, i'll have to give him a call.....if i want to get ~1000gph should i go 50% from the sump and %50 closed loop? or what would be best? thanks.