PDA

View Full Version : New Tank

wally-2004
09-23-2008, 05:33 AM
I am new to salt water tanks and I am starting out with a 24 Gal nano Cube.
Does anyone have any advise on what to do or not to do?
When can I start adding fish and other stock?

I added my live sand about 4 lbs of Live rock, got my salt in and added the water treatment and the bacteria booster.

Snappy
09-23-2008, 05:39 AM
Your tank will need to cycle which will take a while. You can add in a hardy fish like a damsel or clown to help with the process but that's about it for now. Keep an eye on your amonia levels.

Keri
09-23-2008, 05:49 AM
I would add more live rock :) You're going to need about 24lbs of it total and it's more interesting to watch than a bare tank while it cycles :)
It's usually a safe bet to give it a couple weeks or a month before adding anything in the way of fish or corals but you can add some CUC (clean up crew lik snails and crabs) once your cycle is finished.

Do you have a test kit to monitor your water parameters? That will help tell you when you are ready to add fish and corals.

Best advice to live by in this hobby: be patient! It's hard but it's better than a tank crash!

There are lots of folks here to help you at Canreef, welcome! :) :lol:

Red Coral Aquariums
09-23-2008, 06:02 AM
My suggestion would be to add 10 to 15 lbs more of Live Rock and let that initiate and run your cycle.
Do not use fish to cycle your tank. ( this is where I write a paragraph of detailed torture a fish is put through during a cycle; but I will refrain).
Get the LFS that you sponsor to weekly test your water to let you know where you are at on the cycle.
Also feel free to ask questions.
Kevin

Doug
09-23-2008, 12:53 PM
When can I start adding fish and other stock?

I added my live sand about 4 lbs of Live rock, got my salt in and added the water treatment and the bacteria booster.

Welcome to Canreef. :smile: Will move to the main reefing forum for better answers for you.

wickedfrags
09-23-2008, 02:07 PM
Congrats on the new tank and taking the plunge into saltwater, there are many things to learn but it can be very rewarding.

First, plan on only adding reverse osmosis/deionized (RO/DI) water to your tank. If you can not justify buying an RO/DI unit (should you not already own one) buy some from a local store. Algae problems stem from poor water quality, if you use RO/DI water, you have significantly less chances of developing nuisance algae problems. Algae problems and water quality is why many people quit saltwater.

Second, learn about the relationship between alkalinity, calcium and magnessium. I would recommend learning about how a product like Bionic 2-part addative would benefit your system.

Third, take your time, do not plan on adding anything (fish or corals) for atleast a month. While this may seem tough, it is in the best interests of your future inhabitants. It will also give you a little more time to research. And oh ya, the brown algae you will get on the sand, glass and maybe the rocks, perfectly normal and it will go away on it's own in time! Cheers.