PDA

View Full Version : Canreef 6 Month Nano Tank Contest....

JDigital
09-23-2008, 12:03 AM
I came across a contest on another forum (nano-reef.com) and thought that it was a great idea, however I found the thread after the contest had already started and was unable to join. This prompted me to make this thread and see if you canreefers would be interested in putting together our own little Canadian version. :mrgreen:

Let me know guys! :biggrin:

EDIT:

Current contestants are:

5.5G:

scholar:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45280

Chaloupa:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45542

10G:

JDigital: ***
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45253

rocketlily: ***
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45294

michika:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45221

phillybean:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45222

ElGuappo:***
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45219

Stab_Master_Arson:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45226

Midknight:

Der_Iron_Chef:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45343

Scythanith:**

sphelps:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45285

GreenSpottedPuffer:**
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45560

noirsphynx:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45566

Ryan_Lap:

I will continue to update this list as new people join.

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CLOSELY

2008 Nano Contest

2 categories
-5.5g AGA
-10g AGA

Prizes awarded for:
- Best 5.5
- Best 10
- Most innovative

RULES:
Spending limits:
-5.5g AGA= $250 CDN
-10g AGA= $300 CDN

Not covered in budget (i.e. considered "free")
- Contest Display Tank
- Building supplies (eggcrate, stand/canopy materials, plumbing)
- Sand
- Live Rock
- Water and salt
- Food
- Supplements
- Accessories less than $15 (mag floats, tongs, thermometers, etc)

GENERAL GUIDELINES:
-All used equipment utilized in contest will be deducted from your budget at 75% of the lowest advertised price from J&L Aquatics.
For equipment purchased online, only deduct the actual price of the equipment from the budget, don't deduct shipping costs.
-All live stock can come from anywhere, sponsors, LFS, whatever. If you use something from a current tank, you deduct it's fair market value.
If you purchase livestock online, you deduct the actual price paid for the livestock from the budget, but don't count shipping costs.
-Tank can be purchased locally and will not count against budget. (Sump tank will count against your budget, should you choose to incorporate one)
-You can mod all you want as long as you start with a STOCK tank and deduct costs from your budget.
-Budget is done on the honor system since we all know what its all worth.
-There is an entry fee of $20.00, which must be received by 10/15 to lock you into the contest. These fees will be used for the prizes at the end of the contest.
-Contest begins Oct 15, 2008 and ends April 15, 2009.

In short, you've got 6 months to make a sweet tank on a limited budget. Lighting fixtures, filters, skimmers, and livestock all count towards budget, so manage wisely.

Everyone who wants to enter post on here and post a pic of your tank with something in it (teddy bear, soda can, LR, g/f, wife whatever) by Oct 15.
Start a tank thread for your contest tank by Oct 15, so we can see it's progression as it goes along. It wouldn't hurt to put a link to your contest tank thread in your sig, but I don't know that we should require it. You don't have to start your tank thread immediately, as long as you do it by Oct 15.
On the 15th of every month, post a FTS of your tank on your thread.
When we reach the end of the contest, Myself (or Christy) will start a thread showing all of the tanks and their specs, with an attached poll for ALL of Canreef to vote on the winners.
The winners will receive a gift certificate to the Canreef sponsor of their choice, taken from the entry fees.
Basically, we'll take all the $$ contributed for the entry fee and divide it up into 3 equal portions for the winning gift certificates. We're still kinda waiting to see how many people enter to determine the final entry fee.

michika and I will be running the contest, so if you have any questions or concerns that cannot be addressed on this thread, PM one of us.

On a final note, the goal of this contest is to HAVE FUN and just see how many CREATIVE IDEAS we can all come up with and inspire each other with.

Christy has offered to help setup a special subsection for the contest tank journals, but I'm going to have her wait until we get enough people. I'd like a minimum of 15 members (between the 2 categories) for this contest to happen.

I've done the best I can to alter this contest for fit into our forum here on Canreef, but the fact is that not everyone will be happy with the contest rules as they've been established. If you don't think that you can participate under the established guidelines, then your time and $$ is probably best spent on a tank that you truly will enjoy and keep in the long run.
We want to keep this a positive and enjoyable experience for everyone, so...

READY, SET, GO!!!

ADDENDUM A:
Calculating "cost" for livestock that was free, received in trade, or purchased at wholesale prices, etc.
-Items received free-- an amount will be deducted from your budget equivalent to what that livestock would commonly be sold for in Livestock Classified Forum of Canreef.com. Please PM michika a pic, along with common name, and she will give you a "price".
If you don't feel this is satisfactory, you would probably be better off not competing in this contest. :)
-Items rec'd in trade- Same as above.
-Items purchased at wholesale prices-Same as above.
-Items on which you scored a "good deal"- If you can provide proof of the price you got, cost will be figured at the actual price you paid. If it was a transaction with a private individual, have them hand-write you a receipt, scan it, and post it on your thread.

Addendum A.1

If you purchase something at a steal of a deal from a Canreef.com vendors you do not have to deal with 'fair market value' etc. Example: Sponsor X regularly has 50% off or buy one get one specials that are available to Canreef.com members, so if you pay $10 and get 2 pieces that normally would cost $20, you only pay the $10. This is in hopes that some vendors will want to have specials aimed specifically at this contest.

michika
09-23-2008, 12:17 AM
I really think this is cool!

Chaloupa
09-23-2008, 12:44 AM
I've been watching the same thread and think that it is such a cool idea! I may be in if we do it!

michika
09-23-2008, 12:47 AM
How would you factor in trading? E.g I buy some awesome zoas, then 3 months in trade with someone else for a piece of SPS, etc.

JDigital
09-23-2008, 12:49 AM
I hope we can get enough interested people. For anyone interested, perhaps post what tank size you would prefer to do, and that way we can determine if we even need both categories.

JDigital
09-23-2008, 12:51 AM
How would you factor in trading? E.g I buy some awesome zoas, then 3 months in trade with someone else for a piece of SPS, etc.

Taken from NR. :) Im sure we could change this around if need be. (I probably haven't been around long enough to know what everything goes for in the B&S area, so would be nice to have a 2nd member with some background knowledge to help out organizing)

ADDENDUM A:
Calculating "cost" for livestock that was free, rec'd in trade, or purchased at wholesale prices, etc.
-Items rec'd free-- an amount will be deducted from your budget equivalent to what that livestock would commonly be sold for in Livestock Classified Forum of NR.com. Please PM me a pic, along with common name, and I will give you a "price". I have sold and bought quite a bit on the NR Classified Forum over the last two years, and I think I have a pretty good feel for what stuff sells for on here.
If you don't feel this is satisfactory, you would probably be better off not competing in this contest.
-Items rec'd in trade- Same as above.
-Items purchased at wholesale prices-Same as above.
-Items on which you scored a good deal- If you can provide proof of the price you got, cost will be figured at the actual price you paid. If it was a transaction w/a private individual, have them hand-write you a receipt, scan it, and post it on your thread.

michika
09-23-2008, 01:04 AM
I can help out if it we can get some interest and some mod. support.

Stab_Master_Arson
09-23-2008, 02:44 AM
ahhh, what about 30g "nanos". In some circles those are still considered nanos. :biggrin:

michika
09-23-2008, 03:08 AM
I like the idea of 30g too. I'd be more inclined to participate in a 30g build.

JDigital
09-23-2008, 03:22 AM
ahhh, what about 30g "nanos". In some circles those are still considered nanos. :biggrin:

This contest is starting from scratch... not a tank you currently have running.. ;)

The idea is to keep it at a low budget, 30G would get too expensive..

rocketlily
09-23-2008, 03:35 AM
I would like to join in on this. I also think the 20 - 30 gal is too easy. I think the 5.5 or the 10 gal would be more of a challenge.

christyf5
09-23-2008, 03:35 AM
I can help out if it we can get some interest and some mod. support.

I'm in, what do you need?:biggrin:

Edit: I mean "I'm in" as in I'll help. I'd love to participate but my husband will kill me if I set up another tank :razz:

JDigital
09-23-2008, 03:39 AM
I'm in, what do you need?:biggrin:

Edit: I mean "I'm in" as in I'll help. I'd love to participate but my husband will kill me if I set up another tank :razz:

Just tell him its a small one this time... :lol: If we get enough people interested, it would be great to have a mod willing to organize threads, maybe create a sub-sub section for the contest build threads instead of adding 10-20 new threads to the already busy tank journal subsection. etc...

We will have to see how many are interested though.

christyf5
09-23-2008, 03:43 AM
Just tell him its a small one this time... :lol: If we get enough people interested, it would be great to have a mod willing to organize threads, maybe create a sub-sub section for the contest build threads instead of adding 10-20 new threads to the already busy tank journal subsection. etc...

We will have to see how many are interested though.

I can do the forum/organization thing, just let me know when you have everyone organized and I can start a forum with threads and such.

michika
09-23-2008, 03:52 AM

I guess you will be living vicariously through someone!

Alright so shall we set the limit at say 20g display or 20g total volume?

Next up I suppose we need a head count on participants

JDigital
09-23-2008, 04:00 AM
I guess you will be living vicariously through someone!

Alright so shall we set the limit at say 20g display or 20g total volume?

Next up I suppose we need a head count on participants

If there is an overwhelming number of people who don't want to go as small as I originally posted, we will have to come up with something else. I'd really like to keep it at 5.5G & 10G Stock AGA tank (I personally don't have room for another 20G lol) . Remember this is for FUN and meant to be done on a budget.. :wink:

michika
09-23-2008, 04:02 AM
My google-fu is super weak tonight, I need some image links please to the AGA tanks.

JDigital
09-23-2008, 04:05 AM
My google-fu is super weak tonight, I need some image links please to the AGA tanks.

All Glass Aquarium. :mrgreen:

http://www.danoreef.com/images/5.5_aga_tank.JPG.gif

BTW, here is the link to the Original Nano Reef thread... has links to everyones tank builds, etc so you have a better idea what I'm trying to go for with our version. :)

Chaloupa
09-23-2008, 04:19 AM
I gotta say my little 2.5g was totally fun, a challenge and it was really pretty...I like the idea of a 5g...it is supposed to be on the cheap side to do, and hard to maintain. I don't have room either for a 10g build...but a 2.5-5.g or so would be easy!

JDigital
09-23-2008, 04:24 AM
I gotta say my little 2.5g was totally fun, a challenge and it was really pretty...I like the idea of a 5g...it is supposed to be on the cheap side to do, and hard to maintain. I don't have room either for a 10g build...but a 2.5-5.g or so would be easy!

Shall I mark you down for a 5.5G then? :wink:

Chaloupa
09-23-2008, 04:36 AM
If that ends up being the size...then it's something I would be "interested" in...if there was enough competition....but not if there are a bunch of different sized tanks...it's not the same

lorenz0
09-23-2008, 04:37 AM
count me in, jdigital just told me about this

i will do a 5.5gal, 10gal will be to easy

once there is a go i will run out and pick up the tank

JDigital
09-23-2008, 04:40 AM
If that ends up being the size...then it's something I would be "interested" in...if there was enough competition....but not if there are a bunch of different sized tanks...it's not the same

There will only be 2 categories... 5.5 & 10.

I will add members to the two categories on the first page... I will give ppl a week to see this thread and decide which category to compete with, names for now with just be to keep track of those interested.

hockey nut
09-23-2008, 04:44 AM
I'd be interested. I have an Oceanic 14gal nano and a Current USA 24gal pod system already running. I like the low budget thing. Even though they are small tanks they still are money pits. How would you regulate it? I.E. Everyone get the same size tank and lighting and then the rest is up to the reefer?

Anyhow sounds cool to me.

Cheers

JDigital
09-23-2008, 04:47 AM
I'd be interested. I have an Oceanic 14gal nano and a Current USA 24gal pod system already running. I like the low budget thing. Even though they are small tanks they still are money pits. How would you regulate it? I.E. Everyone get the same size tank and lighting and then the rest is up to the reefer?

Anyhow sounds cool to me.

Cheers

Depending which category you want to build... either compete with the 5.5s or the 10... after that lighting, livestock, all DIY costs etc come out of the spending limit for each category. It is up to the member to keep track and post what they spend in their build threads... (I also just double checked my original post, and its fairly clear I think how its regulated regarding costs and stuff. Please take a couple mins to read it thoroughly. :) )

See the link i posted above to the original Nano Reef "rules" thread.

Red Coral Aquariums
09-23-2008, 05:05 AM
Count Red Coral in to sponsor one of the prizes.
Kevin

rocketlily
09-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Please add me to the 10 gal. I'm looking forward to this:biggrin:

michika
09-23-2008, 02:11 PM
[QUOTE=JDigital;347106]All Glass Aquarium. :mrgreen:QUOTE]

:redface: my own stupid hurts sometimes...:redface:

I'll do the biggest option available. Assuming that is 10g, does that mean total volume, or just display volume?

What do you want me to do to help with the organizational side of things?

phillybean
09-23-2008, 02:33 PM
I'm in for the 10 gallon. Just don't tell my wife it's for a contest...

JDigital
09-23-2008, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=JDigital;347106]All Glass Aquarium. :mrgreen:QUOTE]

:redface: my own stupid hurts sometimes...:redface:

I'll do the biggest option available. Assuming that is 10g, does that mean total volume, or just display volume?

What do you want me to do to help with the organizational side of things?

10G display, if you want to run a sump you are more than welcome to, just remember that the cost of the sump tank (or whatever you use) does come out of the budget (plumbing is exempt as per first page, which I will change around for the CR version).

michika
09-23-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm in for a 10g then.

JDigital
09-23-2008, 05:25 PM
First page has been updated to cover Canreef specifics. Contest will start Oct 15,2008. Currently the entry fee is $20CDN, the more people we get the lower this can go. Payments can be sent to michika,via paypal (unless you have arranged otherwise with myself or her), upto and on Oct 15, 2008.

Chaloupa
09-23-2008, 05:29 PM
so...equipment that was purchased used....at a wicked deal is J&L cost x.75%?

JDigital
09-23-2008, 05:37 PM
so...equipment that was purchased used....at a wicked deal is J&L cost x.75%?

whether purchased used or if it's something we have laying around the house.. If it's used, yes, J&L x .75%.

christyf5
09-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Forum is ready to go. JDigital can you PM me to let me know how you want things setup, what you need from me etc?

This is going to be so awesome :biggrin:

phillybean
09-23-2008, 05:46 PM
Could I run it inline with my 75 gallon? Shared sump basically...

JDigital
09-23-2008, 06:04 PM
Forum is ready to go. JDigital can you PM me to let me know how you want things setup, what you need from me etc?

This is going to be so awesome :biggrin:

PM'd! :D

Could I run it inline with my 75 gallon? Shared sump basically...

No, you can't plumb the contest tank into a larger system, I'm sorry.

Oceanic
09-23-2008, 06:06 PM
I think this is a great idea. I look forward to seeing the tanks invlolved! :biggrin:

scuglass
09-23-2008, 07:25 PM
This is a great Idea! Hopefully I can scrounge up some cash for this.

ElGuappo
09-23-2008, 07:46 PM
im in where can i find rules/guidelines. what is the start up date the 15? or is that entry deadline.

lorenz0
09-23-2008, 07:57 PM
almost bought my 5.5gal today. this should be alot of fun

JDigital
09-23-2008, 07:59 PM
im in where can i find rules/guidelines. what is the start up date the 15? or is that entry deadline.

I've updated the first post with all the rules/guidelines as of now... I am expecting a flood of questions regarding coral/livestock prices etc etc, which will be covered.

Start date & Entry deadline is Oct 15. Tank thread must be started by then too.

ElGuappo
09-23-2008, 08:26 PM

i will need to mail a check to some one for the 20 pm me if your one of these 2 people. also i have not decided wich size i want to go with but leaning towards 10

Chowder
09-23-2008, 08:26 PM
Can the tank be plumbed into a existing tank to cut down on costs for a sump and filtration(ie skimmer, to create flow from or heating)?

Chris

ElGuappo
09-23-2008, 08:34 PM
what about lighting does that fall under the free canopy ?

JDigital
09-23-2008, 08:39 PM
i will need to mail a check to some one for the 20 pm me if your one of these 2 people. also i have not decided wich size i want to go with but leaning towards 10

We will hold off on payment for a week or so until we are sure that there will be enough participants.... :smilecol:

Unless you guys don't care? I figured the more people the better. :mrgreen:

Can the tank be plumbed into a existing tank to cut down on costs for a sump and filtration(ie skimmer, to create flow from or heating)?

Chris

I touched on this on the last page. Contest tanks can not be plumbed to any existing sump. The whole idea of this contest is to have fun and work with a budget and to come up with interesting ideas. Plumbing the contest tank into a sump with a BK skimmer or Deltec CA Reactor kinda defeats the purpose, not to mention any "used" equipment (existing sump tank, skimmers, reactors, pumps etc) has to be deducted from your budget, most of our sumps probably would wipe out the entire budget cost. :lol:

So, No plumbing into existing sumps. Thanks!

what about lighting does that fall under the free canopy ?

Nope.. that comes out of your budget... Manage wisely ;)

rocketlily
09-23-2008, 08:56 PM
One question, If we have a used piece of equipment and J & L sells it new for $34.95, 75% of the price would be $26.21. In checking the buy/sell forum, I can buy this same piece of equipment for $15.00.

Which price do we use?

ElGuappo
09-23-2008, 09:01 PM
ok so this time i am going to tank my time on this post and try to post more than one question.

are things such as these free?
heater
replacement bulbs?
Plastic canopy w/ light? stock.
better bulbs? for stock light? (guessing NO)

can i use an exhisting 10G with LR / LS? (guessing has to be dry first?)

do the tanks have to remain dry until the 15th or can we add rock sand and water heater filters now?

JDigital
09-23-2008, 09:10 PM
One question, If we have a used piece of equipment and J & L sells it new for $34.95, 75% of the price would be $26.21. In checking the buy/sell forum, I can buy this same piece of equipment for $15.00.

Which price do we use?

You'd have to use the J&L @ 75%. :) If you buy the used piece of gear (whether in your scenario or not) try and get the seller to hand write a reciept for you for proof of price (as mentioned in ADDENDUM A in the first post).

JDigital
09-23-2008, 09:36 PM
ok so this time i am going to tank my time on this post and try to post more than one question.

are things such as these free?
heater
Plastic canopy w/ light? stock.
better bulbs? for stock light? (guessing NO)

can i use an exhisting 10G with LR / LS? (guessing has to be dry first?)

do the tanks have to remain dry until the 15th or can we add rock sand and water heater filters now?

You can use the tank you have, but you are correct, you have to start dry, and it has to remain dry till the start date. (this give everyone an equal playing field) This isn't to say that you HAVE to have water in it on the start date, if you are DIYer, and spend 3 weeks rigging up some crazy overflow or something and add water one week before the first "checkpoint" (1st FTS must be posted by Nov 15th with water) That's fine too... Just remember you have 6 months (Oct 15/08-Apr15/09) for your tank to grow out.

Items considered "Free":

- Contest Tank (Stock AGA 5.5G or 10G) Free (sump tanks come out of budget)
- building supplies (eggcrate, stand/canopy materials, plumbing, scrap acrylic)
- Sand
- Live Rock
- Water and Salt
- Food
- Supplements

This $15 rule is to allow folks to buy the equipment that makes reef keeping enjoyable without having to deduct it from the budget-- things like a thermometer, glass cleaners, hydrometer, etc, etc, etc. Its not designed so you can wheel and deal and cut corners to get stuff under $15. (not implying anyone is going to do that... Just stating.)

In my mind I think your lighting, filtration (depending what you use), and livestock will be the bulk of most people's budgets and that is the goal since those three things all directly influence each other more than the kind of heater you have in there. We want people to get creative and demonstrate their ability to build a beautiful reef on a limited budget.

Things that come out of your budget:
- Lighting, Bulbs, reflectors, ballasts.. etc
- Livestock / Corals
- Filters/Skimmers/Powerheads
- Sump tanks (should you choose to incorporate one)

Do try and keep receipts for proof of prices in the event that winners are questioned about their budget. Also, its not required, but would be nice to include a tally in your tank journals of what you have spent.

An example of what I mean

THE LIST
Tank-------------------------------------------free
Delphin 25w ultra compact heater-------------------21.99--(LFS and that's what I paid)
18" Nove xtreme --T5 fixture-----------------------62.99
Subcurrent filter system----------------------------26.19
Coralife digi thermometer ( 6.99 ) -------------------free

If you have any questions feel free to ask.. Better to ask now and be safe, than to not ask and risk being DQ'd at the end. (I am trying to follow N-Rs model as best as possible and am constantly reffering to their thread).

Nevin
09-23-2008, 10:54 PM
One month to get water in the tank doesn't allow much time for diy on the hardware. Would it be permissible to use other equipment (eg. lights) temporarily that won't be part of the final build?

Thanks,
Nevin

JDigital
09-24-2008, 12:30 AM
One month to get water in the tank doesn't allow much time for diy on the hardware. Would it be permissible to use other equipment (eg. lights) temporarily that won't be part of the final build?

Thanks,
Nevin

I'm not sure I know what you are asking regarding the lights:question:

I think one month is fair for DIY work... there is some exciting DIY work from the NR version, and I am following their guidelines as they have worked out most of the bugs...

EDIT: Anyone who wants to participate and does not yet see their name on the first post of this thread, please PM me, and let me know which category you want to be in.

michika
09-24-2008, 12:51 AM
Since the tank is free is it cool if I just use some left over glass I have kicking around to make my own?

Stab_Master_Arson
09-24-2008, 01:20 AM
Are people willing to go higher than 10 gallons? maybe 1 5, 10, 20 or something.

Secondly, there are some bias in the rules. Those who have a lot of extra equipment lying around which can be deducted for 75 percent. There really shouldn't be any reduction in equipment. If people choose to go with used, it should still be valued at new pricing.

another, instead of setting medians for cheap livestock, why not just set a median for ALL livestock. Some people have to pay higher prices than others, depending where they live. So if John Doe can get a 3 head hammer for 20, Jane doe has to pay 50, why not just pic a cheap place like www.liveaquaria.com to use as a price guide for ALL livestock. A place like LA has almost every thing we can find here, so it is pretty complete. This way, everybody can add the same livestock for the exact same price deduction from their budget. Some people might have to to spend 600 bucks for their livestock, but it is valued at 300 while others can spend a dollar fiddy (if they can) on the same livestock from their "sources" and it will be valued as the same. SO saving money might benefit your wallet, but it won't give you any sort of advantage. People that have to pay more can go over their limit, so they can stalk an adequate tank and not be on ma disadvantage. regardless, socking costs will be evenly represented.

Stab_Master_Arson
09-24-2008, 01:30 AM
Another thing to note is the "freedie" items. Some people own this stuff already. Even though it's not included n the budget, it does make it more costly and difficult for people to compete. Saying this, a person with the freebies might have to spend 300, but a person without it will have to spend 500 plus making a larger economic burden on the people that have to buy the extra items which might force them to skimp on their livestock. Wouldn't it be better to include the freebies in the budget. That way, people can be frugal and increase their budget for livestock if they save mney elsewhere. This will add more financial planning into creating the system.

Stab_Master_Arson
09-24-2008, 01:32 AM
I guess a perfect example would be live rock. If people can make their rock stretch and save 4 pounds, they have enough extra to spend on livestock. This will make aquascaping more difficult and people talents will have to be exercised.

Stab_Master_Arson
09-24-2008, 01:47 AM
BTW guys.

Count me in

10 gallon

michika
09-24-2008, 01:58 AM
I guess a perfect example would be live rock. If people can make their rock stretch and save 4 pounds, they have enough extra to spend on livestock. This will make aquascaping more difficult and people talents will have to be exercised.

Items considered "Free":

- Contest Tank (Stock AGA 5.5G or 10G) Free (sump tanks come out of budget)
- building supplies (eggcrate, stand/canopy materials, plumbing, scrap acrylic)
- Sand
- Live Rock
- Water and Salt
- Food
- Supplements

JDigital
09-24-2008, 02:04 AM
1. Tank sizes are not changing. It's going to be close enough to get enough ppl for the two categories as it is, let alone to add a 3rd one.

2. Pricing, Used equipment is discounted at 25% off... which is 75% of the new cost. I personally don't have alot of used gear laying around, so there isn't really any bias in the rules on my part. This rule is in place for people buying used equipment and those who already have it. 25% is a fair discount to take off of used equipment IMO.

As for livestock, I will leave open for discussion for now, and speak with michika as well. :)

****Please remember****
I've done the best I can to alter this contest to fit into our forum here on Canreef, but the fact is that not everyone will be happy with the contest rules as they've been established. If you don't think that you can participate under the established guidelines, then your time and $$ is probably best spent on a tank that you truly will enjoy and keep in the long run.

michika
09-24-2008, 02:08 AM
We need to elaborate on what 'supplements' are; food supplements, or dosing supplements, or both.

JDigital
09-24-2008, 02:15 AM
We need to elaborate on what 'supplements' are; food supplements, or dosing supplements, or both.

Both. :x-mas:

ElGuappo
09-24-2008, 02:16 AM
if using supps for coral growth than i feel IMO it should count as part of the 300.

what about things like cyclopeese? i use as fish food on occasion good coral food to though. i guess they would fall under food as its not chemicaly produced as a growth enhancement?

JDigital
09-24-2008, 02:27 AM
if using supps for coral growth than i feel IMO it should count as part of the 300.

what about things like cyclopeese? i use as fish food on occasion good coral food to though. i guess they would fall under food as its not chemicaly produced as a growth enhancement?

Hmm good point... :neutral:

Stab_Master_Arson
09-24-2008, 02:38 AM
Do we have to wait until the 15th to fill our tank/cycle. I assume yes we do.

JDigital
09-24-2008, 02:42 AM
Do we have to wait until the 15th to fill our tank/cycle. I assume yes we do.

Yup.. Tank must stay dry till the 15th.

I have PM'd Christy to get her to setup a Contest sub-section for all the Contest journals, in the Tank Journal section. You must have a thread with a photo of the stock AGA 5.5G or 10G tank with something in it (pop can, cat, wife, etc) on the entry day, Oct 15 (along with the $20 entry fee), however I can't accept entry fees for a few days while I wait for PP to recognize my bank account information.

Stab_Master_Arson
09-24-2008, 02:43 AM
and as far as biocubes go, how will the tank and lighting/filter be differenciated in free/budget?

EDIT:
Nevermind

"Stock AGA aquarium"

scuglass
09-24-2008, 02:56 AM
You said it has to stay dry till the 15th.... does that mean we can start construction on DIY work before then?

rocketlily
09-24-2008, 03:02 AM
Michika's pm box is full. Is there anywhere else we can send the pictures of livestock to be priced?

michika
09-24-2008, 03:05 AM
sorry, my bad. I just emptied it a bit. Send away, or email cscully (a)(t) ualberta.ca

silverplanet
09-24-2008, 03:22 AM
I loved the thread on NR and I am following it. I already have my idea for a tank. Count me in for a 5.5g please

Jason

Nevin
09-24-2008, 03:24 AM
To clarify my question:

I was just wondering whether I can throw an old PC light on it for a while until I finish building the final light system. Or would I have to deduct the temporary light from my budget?

Thanks,
Nevin

JDigital
09-24-2008, 03:29 AM
I loved the thread on NR and I am following it. I already have my idea for a tank. Count me in for a 5.5g please

Jason

Excellent!! Good to have another 5.5G! :mrgreen: :turn-l:

JDigital
09-24-2008, 03:31 AM
To clarify my question:

I was just wondering whether I can throw an old PC light on it for a while until I finish building the final light system. Or would I have to deduct the temporary light from my budget?

Thanks,
Nevin

Ohh ok! yea, that is fine.

BTW: Does this mean you are in? Should I add ur name?

Nevin
09-24-2008, 04:25 AM
I hope I can build something--looks like fun! Closer to the start date I'll figure out if I have time or not.

Thanks,
Nevin

Stab_Master_Arson
09-24-2008, 07:36 AM
I don't think this has been brought up but many people live in condos here and as they will tell you, it gets randomly hot inside and tank temperatures can fluctuate (even in December). Are we allowed to run chillers in our tanks in temps get out of control? my chiller cost about 400 dollars, so it is way out of the 300 dollar limit.

michika
09-24-2008, 01:45 PM
In regards to livestock, I am looking at just making a basic list for frags & mini colonies.
If we just set some generalized prices it will probably make the contest simpler in terms of accounting, and hopefully it won't detract from the fun of the contest. So what does everyone think of the proposed type of prices?
REMEMBER THIS ISN'T FINAL!
e.g.
-$5 small colony of regular zoas, under 15 heads
-$10 small colony of special rare zoas, or regular zoos that are 15-50 heads.
-$10 small SPS frag, under 2"
-$15 SPS frag from 2"-5"
-$20 SPS from 5"-15"
-$30 small clam, under 3.5"
-$15 small softie, e.g. leather, xenia
-$15 small LPS, e.g. hammer
- ? specialty items, aussie acans, suncorals, dendros, etc.

Fish and clean up crew prices should probably be taken from J&L, and if the item isn't on their website then maybe take a look at what Live Aquaria is posting for a price.

phillybean
09-24-2008, 02:30 PM
My problem is going to be with live stock, however since it is based over 6 months, I'm sure I'll be able to have a full tank by then.

rocketlily
09-24-2008, 02:32 PM
These prices look very fair to me. Where would mushrooms and rics fall.

don.ald
09-24-2008, 02:35 PM
do the set-ups need to be a specific theme?
what are the prizes?
what criteria will the judges use to determine the winner--?

noirsphynx
09-24-2008, 02:52 PM

I'd be interested in this price too as I have some baby rics, about the size of a pencil eraser and I also have a small individual mushroom.

I might be in for the 10g.

motokorth
09-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Love the idea, good luck to all those who are participating. Can't wait to see the finished results.

michika
09-24-2008, 03:44 PM

In their own category. I just started with a general list. I will make additions to what I've started already; so rics, mushrooms, what else?

I will also look at getting some firm rules out about trading items; e.g. your zoas go crazy and you want to scale it back a bit.

I believe its a group judging, like how we do the photo contests. We all get to vote in a poll.

JDigital
09-24-2008, 03:49 PM
do the set-ups need to be a specific theme?
what are the prizes?
what criteria will the judges use to determine the winner--?

- Theme's: Tanks don't need to be theme specific, but you are more than welcome to create a theme tank.
- Prizes are Gift Certificates that are divided 3 ways equally from the entry fees. (Best 5.5, Best 10, Most Innovative) I am working with a local vendor for an extra prize, that will be donated in support, but at this time, it's still undetermined.
- Judges will be ALL members of Canreef.com, criteria is what each person see fit when casting their vote.

noirsphynx
09-24-2008, 04:10 PM
Will the coral prices be listed in the rules eventually? It'd be easier than sifting through the thread :smile:

michika
09-24-2008, 04:24 PM
Will the coral prices be listed in the rules eventually? It'd be easier than sifting through the thread :smile:

Yes, I will try to have prices made into a sticky.

noirsphynx
09-24-2008, 04:35 PM
I wanted to throw this option out there for those in Edmonton or coming to Edmonton. If anyone else with baby rics wants to trade for one of mine I have three, I'm keeping two but would love to trade for another nicely colored baby ric. Mine are flourescent orange with a bright green mouth.

JDigital
09-24-2008, 04:40 PM
Yes, I will try to have prices made into a sticky.

Christy has the Contest Tank journal section up, if you want to make a thread in there with a list of all the prices and get her to sticky it for quick reference, that would be great.

JDigital
09-24-2008, 04:56 PM
You said it has to stay dry till the 15th.... does that mean we can start construction on DIY work before then?

Yea, there really isn't any guideline for that.. As long as you have decided to join, you can start on whatever DIY work you want. (Make sure you have a photo of your STOCK tank w/ some sort of item in it before modding the tank tho!)

The Canreef Nano Tank Contest subsection is open.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=146

Your build thread with a pic of the stock tank (w/ something in it ie: shoe, pop can, case of beer, etc) must be started by Oct 15.

ElGuappo
09-24-2008, 05:16 PM
when the forum for this gets set up maybe we could have acouple of stickey threads such as tank journals and LS to be priced. just an idea to try and keep things together. if pics of fish are posted with value then only one person would have to submit each fish.

we do hoever pay full price on new ls do we not? look for values on "old" migrated from another tank fish? just wondering if i decide to use my hectors goby what it would be worth? if i can find the little bugger.

Edit: sorry issed the most recent posts somehow. i see someelse was thinking tho

JDigital
09-24-2008, 05:55 PM
when the forum for this gets set up maybe we could have acouple of stickey threads such as tank journals and LS to be priced. just an idea to try and keep things together. if pics of fish are posted with value then only one person would have to submit each fish.

we do hoever pay full price on new ls do we not? look for values on "old" migrated from another tank fish? just wondering if i decide to use my hectors goby what it would be worth? if i can find the little bugger.

Edit: sorry issed the most recent posts somehow. i see someelse was thinking tho

I've posted in ur tank journal regarding the Hector Goby and pricing.

tgoeujon
09-24-2008, 06:11 PM
id love to enter but the smallest tank i have empty is a 12 gallon so unless that will qualify i guess ill just have to come up with something for next time. if it will work let me know and ill give it a try

phillybean
09-24-2008, 06:12 PM
I read on one of the replies about needing to have water in it by Nov 15th for the first check point. Is this with LR and SW or can be be a fresh water test?

What are the checkpoints?

Oct 1st - Tank Picture before MODs
Oct 15th - Payment
Nov 15th - FTS with water
Dec 15th or ??? - ???

Diana
09-24-2008, 06:34 PM
Hey guys.... I have to tell you that I've had my eye out for a Nano buildoff for a while (I dont really frequent nano-reef.com). I was a part of Reef.org's 2005 Nano Buildoff (It was my first saltwater tank wooo!), and came in 3rd in the contest:

http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=971660

It was a lot of fun! I was thinking about joining this one until I read this thread... hehe. All this talk about budget and calculating spending and everything just seems far too complicated. Honestly I've come to learn in this hobby that you can spend thousands of dollars on equipment and coral and still come out with a tank that looks like poop, and some people can spend next to nothing and make a masterpiece. I think the general budget guideline is a great idea, and making people record their spending is also a good idea, but to go so far as to calculate the value of pieces of equipment down to the penny is a moot point (and wayyy too much math involved for me). I think if someone wants to spend $1000 on a 5 gallon then they can go ahead, but I can't honestly see being able to make a nano tank really spectacular just because you spent more money on it. Its all about being creative and talented!

Anywhoo just my 2 cents. If I had more time this semester I might be all for it! Have fun guys! I can already think of a million things I would do with a 5 gallon.... :D

-Diana

ElGuappo
09-24-2008, 06:47 PM
what about the possibility of flat rate item? regardless of brand things like heaters and filters should have a flat rate according to model.

Ie
Heater
50W $25
75W 30

Aqua Clear HOB
30 or < $25
50 $35

korialia
nano $20
1 $25

Skimmers
rio nano $30
Lees S $20
Lees m $25

And so on and so forth, just to take the guess work out of these manditory items

tgoeujon
09-24-2008, 07:58 PM
so due to lack of response im guesing a 12 gallon wouldnt qualify. oh well:sad:

Stab_Master_Arson
09-24-2008, 08:18 PM
In regards to livestock, I am looking at just making a basic list for frags & mini colonies.
If we just set some generalized prices it will probably make the contest simpler in terms of accounting, and hopefully it won't detract from the fun of the contest. So what does everyone think of the proposed type of prices?
REMEMBER THIS ISN'T FINAL!
e.g.
-$5 small colony of regular zoas, under 15 heads
-$10 small colony of special rare zoas, or regular zoos that are 15-50 heads.
-$10 small SPS frag, under 2"
-$15 SPS frag from 2"-5"
-$20 SPS from 5"-15"
-$30 small clam, under 3.5"
-$15 small softie, e.g. leather, xenia
-$15 small LPS, e.g. hammer
- ? specialty items, aussie acans, suncorals, dendros, etc.

Fish and clean up crew prices should probably be taken from J&L, and if the item isn't on their website then maybe take a look at what Live Aquaria is posting for a price.

These prices bring way more opportunity to what I was planning!

I was also thinking of fragging some corals. Like hammers or frogspawn.
Thanks

Stab_Master_Arson
09-24-2008, 08:20 PM
id love to enter but the smallest tank i have empty is a 12 gallon so unless that will qualify i guess ill just have to come up with something for next time. if it will work let me know and ill give it a try

You could always just buy a 10g. they are like 25 bucks. To think that you would be spending 400 plus on other items/livestock anyways, it is kind of a waste not to enter because you have to buy a cheap tank.

ElGuappo
09-24-2008, 08:32 PM
i am thinking the frag prices may be low. Clams? this is a 300 dollar limit. what you going to spent 250 on lights and 50 on a clam? i thought the whole point of this was that it was to see what could be done on a fixed budget. with coral prices like these there is really no point in entering (makes possiblities far too endless). i thought this was a grow out tank. frags should be a min of 20 a Peice. what about those who are going with little coral? this kills them as they wont get a deal like that on LS. for those who are considering a species tank?

Im thinking 20 for a 5head reg zoas 35 for a 5 head rare zoa and so on. this again limits coral and gets back to THE NATURE OF THE BEAST which i thought was to see who could "Grow out" a tank in 6 monthes.

Just my opinion.

Stab_Master_Arson
09-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Frags will probably be where it is at. You can always gamble, get a chinese pendant from ebay, buy randolm zoa frags and hope they cover the rock work in 6 months :biggrin:

BTW, where the heck do I send my 20 bucks? I don't have paypal so I might have to send a money order. If not, I can probably do a CC transaction if the money collectors have a business or merchant account.

scuglass
09-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Everyone seems to be going a little too hard core lol.... The rules are stated. The idea is to keep it fun and based off the NR build contest.

Whats next.. are people gonna want to convert the 250 and 300 to canadian $ :P

Less thinking about ways to change it and more thinking about how your gonna be different :D

ElGuappo
09-24-2008, 09:06 PM
All i am trying to say that those who have Rare corals to frag can frag 15-20polyp zoa frag that would cost 300 on the market for the others and they could get it for 10? even if i spent the 300 on the market and could get them for 10 in the contest what does this have to do with a spending limit?. its begining to have nothing to do 300 out of pocket anymore!!

I may be complaining a little too much but i just dont feel that the frag prices are just. i had my entire tank mapped out based on fraging my coral and paying an "appropriate market value for them" cheap things mushrooms, very average zoas, etc ( and purchasing some and providing recepts) in order to spend more money on LS.

Maybe im out of line here but this $300 tank is slowly turning into a $700 tank.

Sorry i know its alot to take in but i am just thinking of keeping the playing field even.

tgoeujon
09-24-2008, 09:16 PM
whens the deadline to enter? i looked through all my misc. crap and ive got both a 5.5 and a 10, so theres a good chance ill be in. out of curiosity where does a person find a small enough halide for that though (without having to build it myself ).

scuglass
09-24-2008, 09:36 PM
customnano.com I think has some... but they are like 170 or something insane.

JDigital
09-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Everyone seems to be going a little too hard core lol.... The rules are stated. The idea is to keep it fun and based off the NR build contest.

Whats next.. are people gonna want to convert the 250 and 300 to canadian $ :P

Less thinking about ways to change it and more thinking about how your gonna be different :D

I've been out all day (picked up my 10G tank) and doing some running around, and get home and I had to laugh at all the comments on this and that and prices, etc... scuglass nailed it on the head (except for the $250-300 comment... that is in CDN dollars.. ;) )

It's pretty simple, the guidelines have been laid out, and it has been mentioned "If you don't feel you can participate with the rules/guidelines that have been laid out for the contest, your time and money is probably best spent on a tank you will enjoy and keep in the long run" (That comment is not being made to turn people away from entering, but I think it takes care of all the questioning)

This contest is suppose to be fun and to see what type of creative idea's you guys can come up with, not a challenge to see if you can "beat the system" and get everything for free.. LOL Yes, lighting is going to be tough with the budget, as I experienced this afternoon while out looking, but people always talk about how expensive this hobby is, and they are correct for the most part. This contest is going to show that you can create a kick-ass nano reef on a fixed budget.

ElGuappo, I didn't quote ur last msg, but you are right... Coral's need to be priced at the "fair market value" based either from the LS Buy/Sell section on Canreef, or J&L as they are the cheapest in Canada (except for maybe some of our frag vendors... :) )

This contest failed once over at NR before because of the same issues, and the guys organizing it over there this time, have come up with almost exactly what I have posted on the first post of this thread. I guess its a "Take it or Leave it" choice. :)

JDigital
09-24-2008, 09:56 PM
whens the deadline to enter? i looked through all my misc. crap and ive got both a 5.5 and a 10, so theres a good chance ill be in. out of curiosity where does a person find a small enough halide for that though (without having to build it myself ).

Oct 15, you must have a payment and a tank thread with a pic of your STOCK 5.5 or 10G AGA tank (with some crazy object of your choice inside it :mrgreen: )... No Nanocubes, no custom built frag tanks, etc... You can MOD the heck out of the tank, but you MUST start with a Stock one...

As for the MH comment... that's all out of my hands.. I found a great little unit at big al's today a 2x24W T5-HO Nova Extreme unit, couple inches to long, but for $89... it is prolly more than enough light for a 10G. :wink:

Also, to the person who asked about the "checkpoints".. lol

Oct 15 - Payment & Tank thread with a photo of your STOCK tank (with something in it ie: pet, pop can, etc.. this prove's the photo is recent. :) plus its cool to see what everyone decides to put in for the photo.. :D )

15th of Every month - FTS of your tank on that day.

April 15th, 2009 - Final FTS of your tank emailed to me. (This will be the photo used in the voting thread to determine our winners).

tgoeujon
09-24-2008, 09:59 PM
how much lighting would actually be required in a 5.5 or 10 gallon to keep sps
corals

phillybean
09-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Well said JD.

Being creative is where the fun comes in.

michika
09-24-2008, 10:55 PM
You and I have the same question...

I was thinking maybe 3-4 T5 bulbs, or 1 MH with a good reflector. I saw PFO reflectors come in 20" lengths, if MHs are for you. So that might work if you are doing a 10g. There are also some cool patterns out there for reflectors if you truly want to DIY it and make your own reflector?

JDigital
09-24-2008, 11:11 PM
Well, some bad news potentially... I may not be able to stay in the contest, I just re-injured my lower back (original injury occurred earlier this year). If I miss work, which I most likely will, which means no cash flow coming in (hourly wage job) I don't think I will have the funds to compete, let alone SETUP the tank (ie: lifting, moving, etc).

I'll keep you guys posted. :cry:

tgoeujon
09-24-2008, 11:13 PM
to bad! hope you heal quickly

michika
09-24-2008, 11:17 PM
:( Feel better! I sympathize with your lower back injury so much, they suck terribly.

JDigital
09-24-2008, 11:54 PM
:( Feel better! I sympathize with your lower back injury so much, they suck terribly.

ya.. i am actually STUCK on the couch... it hurts to much to move... :eek:

JDigital
09-25-2008, 03:06 AM
NOTICE:

I can now accept Entry fee's via Paypal. If you are going to pay via paypal, you can send your entry to j.digital@shaw.ca. If you do not have a paypal account please PM me and we will work out a different way for you to get your Entry in. Money Order would be the next best option.

Thanks Guys!

Der_Iron_Chef
09-25-2008, 03:46 AM
OH BABY....I'm so in. This will provide the perfect "pick-me-up" to counter the "selling-my-larger-aquarium" blues.

I'll do a 10G AGA and get you the money soon.

~Drew

rocketlily
09-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Could we please get a sticky on the contest forum with the rules and prices for used corals. Would help to save time when looking for something specific.

Thanks

JDigital
09-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Could we please get a sticky on the contest forum with the rules and prices for used corals. Would help to save time when looking for something specific.

Thanks

I don't think we are going to have that used price list... Mostly because of ElGuappo's post on the page before this one... We will use the "fair market value" as posted in the Addendum A on the first page.. I will make a copy post in the Contest Tank Section though. :) If you can not determine a "fair market price" (J&L or Canreef LS Buy/Sell) PM myself or michika and we will do our best to give you a fair price to deduct.

scuglass
09-25-2008, 05:45 PM
I was skimming NR and besides the fact that some people already have implemented designs i was thinking about :2gunfire: ...

I was looking at calculations.... if i have a heater or whatever lying around the house and the price is less than 15 does that qualify as free? or is it only stuff that makes life easier like thermometers/random diy pieces around the house ect. ?

JDigital
09-25-2008, 06:09 PM
I was skimming NR and besides the fact that some people already have implemented designs i was thinking about :2gunfire: ...

I was looking at calculations.... if i have a heater or whatever lying around the house and the price is less than 15 does that qualify as free? or is it only stuff that makes life easier like thermometers/random diy pieces around the house ect. ?

There is also a guy doing (I think) exactly what I had planned... I'm not sure tho yet..

I actually PM'd someone regarding that type of thing, and he said that $15 rule is something they would have changed. Heaters, are well, pretty much a required piece of equipment in a tank, so it should have to come out of your budget, things like thermometers, glass cleaner (scrub brush or mag float) are the $15 and under type of items that fall under this rule.

scuglass
09-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Ps. Ill let you know if i choose the 10 or the 5.5 when I pick it up. I will decide at the store haha.

ElGuappo
09-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Heater for free may be a good idea?

JDigital
09-26-2008, 05:34 AM
Heater for free may be a good idea?

No, you can't buy them for less than $21-22 on J&L and they are even more in most LFS/Petstores.... They stay as an item to deduct off the budget.

scholar
09-26-2008, 11:21 AM
I would like to join if some one could send me a address for some cash then the cheque will be on its way. Im going for the 5.5
http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr186/scholar23/august080.jpg
http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr186/scholar23/august079.jpg

JDigital
09-26-2008, 03:46 PM
PM'd and added to the 5.5 list. :mrgreen:

don.ald
09-26-2008, 03:50 PM
[QUOTE=scholar;347952]I would like to join if some one could send me a address for some cash then the cheque will be on its way. Im going for the 5.5
that little pooch is going to be put-out when he gets replaced with salties!!:cry:

michika
09-27-2008, 02:23 PM
Little dog looks like it needs a hug and a treat! What a sweety for sitting for photos.

Welcome to Canreef Scholar. How did you hear about our little contest? Thanks for joining!

JDigital
09-27-2008, 04:37 PM
I've got a few entry fee's in.... If you are mailing cheques, make sure to get them out soon, as they need to be received by the 15th. Thanks! :D

Chaloupa
09-28-2008, 06:59 AM
Hey! I need to change my tank size....I will be doing a 10g rather than 5.5 as I already have a 10g....and it just works better for me....let me know if this is a problem?!

midgetwaiter
09-28-2008, 07:44 AM
Just to be clear on something, is it okay to use a 10g size tank from another manufacturer? I have a 10g I'd like to use but it doesn't have trim and has rounded front corners. Same dimensions though.

JDigital
10-01-2008, 06:14 AM
updated the participate list.

let me know if your name should be on it. :smile:

Please note***

Looks like Paypal transfer are incurring an $0.88 cent fee for the transaction... where as the people who have done email interac, or mailed me checks, don't incur the $0.88...

On the first page I will add *'s next to the ones who've paid.

** = Paypal $20.00 - 0.88 = $19.12
*** = Check, Email Interac, Money Order = $20.00 - Zero transfer fees = $20.00

You guys will be able to calculate the total "Prize money" after everyone has paid and I update with the final corresponding information. :)

JDigital
10-02-2008, 12:46 AM
The other 5.5F participants have dropped out or switched to 10G... leaving scholar on his own..

rocketlily
10-04-2008, 02:17 AM
If a person was to buy a piece of equipment from another person for free, and got a free receipt, would it count as free or would we still have to use J&L's prices?

ElGuappo
10-04-2008, 02:38 AM
i am claiming free corals (xenia, clove)for $5. remember "fair market value".

JDigital
10-04-2008, 02:59 AM
If a person was to buy a piece of equipment from another person for free, and got a free receipt, would it count as free or would we still have to use J&L's prices?

Still got to account for it.. :)

rocketlily
10-04-2008, 03:55 AM
Still got to account for it.. :)

Not sure what you mean. Do we count it as $0.00? I have searched J&L, Ocean Aquatics and Big Al's and I cannot find this equipment listed. I think it originally came from Walmart.

JDigital
10-04-2008, 04:04 AM
Not sure what you mean. Do we count it as $0.00? I have searched J&L, Ocean Aquatics and Big Al's and I cannot find this equipment listed. I think it originally came from Walmart.

What is it?

I meant you need to deduct of "fair market value"... There is no free livestock or corals. You might get them for free or frag em, you still gotta take the market cost off your budget. :)

rocketlily
10-04-2008, 04:19 AM
I'm talking about a HOB filter, not livestock.

JDigital
10-04-2008, 04:23 AM
I'm talking about a HOB filter, not livestock.

Oh ok.. well filtration is part of the budget, so deduct what you think is the market value. :)

GreenSpottedPuffer
10-04-2008, 04:40 AM
So we have until the 15th to join? Is everyone actually starting on the 15th as far as stocking and whatnot or have people already started?

Im down for the 5.5G if I can still join. I think this is a really fun idea!

Let me know what I need to do next...Where do I pay the $20

JDigital
10-04-2008, 04:47 AM
You have till the 15th to sign up and pay..

PM me about payment. :)

midgetwaiter
10-04-2008, 06:37 AM
Just to be clear on something, is it okay to use a 10g size tank from another manufacturer? I have a 10g I'd like to use but it doesn't have trim and has rounded front corners. Same dimensions though.

Anyone?

JDigital
10-06-2008, 02:42 AM
Update for ALL participants:

Regarding Entry Fee's:

The list below is how it stands right now. Still need a few people to contact me about payment.

If you are using paypal you can send to j.digital@shaw.ca (If you send via paypal, send me a quick PM on here with your name so I know who's who in the zoo.. :D)

5.5G:

scholar: (Awaiting Check in Mail)

Chaloupa: ** (Paypal - Complete)

10G:

JDigital: *** (Transfer Account to Paypal - Processing Oct 5)

rocketlily: *** (Email Money Transfer - Oct 1)

michika:

ElGuappo:*** (Cash - Oct 5)

Stab_Master_Arson: (Awaiting Check in Mail)

Midknight:
TT

Der_Iron_Chef: (Email Money Transfer)

Scythanith:** (Paypal - Complete)

sphelps: (Awaiting Check in Mail)

GreenSpottedPuffer:** (Paypal - Complete)

noirsphynx: (Email Money Transfer - Oct 5)

Thanks Everyone! :biggrin:

noirsphynx
10-06-2008, 02:50 AM
[QUOTE=JDigital;350167]Update for ALL participants:

Regarding Entry Fee's:

The list below is how it stands right now. Still need a few people to contact me about payment.

If you are using paypal you can send to j.digital@shaw.caQUOTE]

Can I use this email addy for an email money transfer too?

JDigital
10-06-2008, 03:01 AM
[QUOTE=JDigital;350167]Update for ALL participants:

Regarding Entry Fee's:

If you are using paypal you can send to j.digital@shaw.caQUOTE]

Can I use this email addy for an email money transfer too?

Yup.. and I will add you to the list.. 10G right?

Chaloupa
10-06-2008, 03:13 AM
Just used Paypal to pay ya! Thanks!

AndyL
10-12-2008, 04:19 PM
Ok, So Lets say some of us haven't been following this thread... 2 questions:

Would a 70's vintage AGA 10g be acceptable? (Stainless trim & slate bottom)

If one was wanting to enter but is 100% sure water wont be in by wednesday (Luckily JDigital is about a 2 minute drive away - so fees aren't too much of an issue). Would this be an issue?

Der_Iron_Chef
10-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Just sent $20 via email money transfer.

ElGuappo
10-12-2008, 04:37 PM
water doesnt have to be in until Nov 15

Ryan_Lap
10-12-2008, 08:14 PM
water doesnt have to be in until Nov 15

Thank God! :biggrin:

JDigital
10-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Ok, So Lets say some of us haven't been following this thread... 2 questions:

Would a 70's vintage AGA 10g be acceptable? (Stainless trim & slate bottom)

If one was wanting to enter but is 100% sure water wont be in by wednesday (Luckily JDigital is about a 2 minute drive away - so fees aren't too much of an issue). Would this be an issue?

PM me a pic of the tank.. as for the water part, you don't HAVE to have water till Nov15, Oct 15 is just when everyone is allowed to add and start cycling/etc.. :)

Chef, Thanks I'll get it deposited. Ryan, got your payment on paypal too, thanks!

sphelps
10-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Update for ALL participants:

Regarding Entry Fee's:

sphelps: (Awaiting Check in Mail)

I sent an email transfer September 30 and you did accept it, please correct.

AndyL
10-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Read through everything...

So am I to understand - there's no max volume rule? Was playing with an idear last night; realized if I run it in a 5.5, it could be calculated out with a whole system volume of closer to 20g (it's not, but if one added all the capacities together...).

Der_Iron_Chef
10-13-2008, 05:45 PM
I don't think there's a max volume limit. I contemplated having a 10G with a 33G sump....

AndyL
10-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Just going to throw it out there and cover bases; don't want to end up with some nitpicks at the end. As I've seen some of the N-R contests deteriorate into at the end...

ElGuappo
10-13-2008, 06:20 PM
no total volume imit but sumps must be deducted. display volume 10ish.

Der_Iron_Chef
10-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Deducted? Or dedicated? Or both? :)

ElGuappo
10-13-2008, 06:24 PM

All of the above..:mrgreen:

JDigital
10-13-2008, 06:46 PM
I sent an email transfer September 30 and you did accept it, please correct.

Corrected.

JDigital
10-13-2008, 06:47 PM

Deducted from cost... Dedicated to the contest Tank (aka Contest Tank can not be plumbed into an existing sump.)

AndyL
10-14-2008, 02:39 AM
Not covered in budget (i.e. considered "free")
- Building supplies (eggcrate, stand/canopy materials, plumbing)

Now it's time to get technical :mrgreen: Yeah I'm gonna drive ya nuts...

So does this mean all plumbing odds & ends are free and not to come from budget?

Case in point - Bulkheads; do I order my uniseals now; or can I assume my 7.99 bulkheads aren't going to count against budget?

Is anything found in the plumbing aisles at home depot / rona fair game for non-budget? :lol:

JDigital
10-14-2008, 03:33 AM
Now it's time to get technical :mrgreen: Yeah I'm gonna drive ya nuts...

So does this mean all plumbing odds & ends are free and not to come from budget?

Case in point - Bulkheads; do I order my uniseals now; or can I assume my 7.99 bulkheads aren't going to count against budget?

Is anything found in the plumbing aisles at home depot / rona fair game for non-budget? :lol:

Plumbing is plumbing.. :) I used a regular bulkhead, and gate valve, and loclines..

Plumbing is free.

Der_Iron_Chef
10-14-2008, 03:41 AM
Plumbing is plumbing.. :) I used a regular bulkhead, and gate valve, and loclines..

Plumbing is free.

Speaking of which....where did you get your gate valve? I'm looking for a single 1/2" gate valve.

AndyL
10-14-2008, 03:47 AM
Western pump down by frank scissons... Except I don't think they carry 1/2" anything...

So ANYTHING I find in the plumbing aisle at rona/home depot is free... Cool :mrgreen:

JDigital
10-14-2008, 04:25 AM
Speaking of which....where did you get your gate valve? I'm looking for a single 1/2" gate valve.

I got mine at Red Coral... but its a 1" with 3/4" reducers in either end. 1" was the smallest they had.