PDA

View Full Version : Acclimation to metal halide?

CHEAPREEF
04-15-2003, 04:57 AM
Hey guys, fianlly got my 40gal cube up and running last night. I changed from power compact (110 watts on a 20gal bin) to metal halide (175 watt 7" from water surface). How should i go about acclimating the coral frags to the light? Should i go with a filter to block some of the light for a while and slowly reduce the filter materal or should i go by length of time ect.. What's the best way to go about it? :cool: Thaks in advance.

Clinton

smokinreefer
04-15-2003, 05:06 AM
well i dont know how many corals you have, but personally, i would just put the corals low in the tank, and gradually move them up.

CHEAPREEF
04-15-2003, 05:22 AM
How gradual? Would a week on the sand bed be enough and then move up form there? I only have about 10 frags right now, and the water depth after the DSB is about 14". Thanks for the quick reply.

Clinton

Beverly
04-15-2003, 01:10 PM
I changed from power compact (110 watts on a 20gal bin) to metal halide (175 watt 7" from water surface). How should i go about acclimating the coral frags to the light?

Last week we got our halide too. The light previously on the 42 hex was a puny 20 watts or something as poor as that, though the tank is surrounded by three big windows which made up for the poor lighting.

All we did was remove the old light and put on the halide. Have noticed an increase in algae on the glass, but have had no problems with corals suffering from the extra light so quickly. Actually think they're growing now :smile:

StirCrazy
04-15-2003, 01:15 PM
the way I did it was sugested by Eric Bornman and if you have a timer that will alow you to do it, it works awsome.

have you lights on for one hour, off for one hour, on for one houre off for one hour.. ect fo the total lenght of your lighting period. do this for 4 to 7 days, then increase the on time by 15 min and decrease the off time for 15 min.. so it would be on for 1:15, off for 45 min, ect.. then in the next 4 to 7 days add another 15 to the on time and take 15 off the off time, so one for 1.5 hours off for .5 hours.. and then next week would be on for 1hour 45 min off for 15 min.

He actualy recomended against moving the corals around as this could cause them more stress by moving them ever few days. the other way to do it if your tank is set up for it, is to buy a bunch of steel window screen, cut 5 or 6 layers to put inbetween your tank and the light. every week remove one of the layers.

Hope this gives you some ideas

Steve

Canadian Man
04-15-2003, 03:37 PM
the way I did it was sugested by Eric Bornman and if you have a timer that will alow you to do it, it works awsome.

have you lights on for one hour, off for one hour, on for one houre off for one hour.. ect fo the total lenght of your lighting period. do this for 4 to 7 days, then increase the on time by 15 min and decrease the off time for 15 min.. so it would be on for 1:15, off for 45 min, ect.. then in the next 4 to 7 days add another 15 to the on time and take 15 off the off time, so one for 1.5 hours off for .5 hours.. and then next week would be on for 1hour 45 min off for 15 min.

He actualy recomended against moving the corals around as this could cause them more stress by moving them ever few days. the other way to do it if your tank is set up for it, is to buy a bunch of steel window screen, cut 5 or 6 layers to put inbetween your tank and the light. every week remove one of the layers.

Hope this gives you some ideas

Steve

I agree with steve. I did this when I added my Iwasaki's to my tank and it worked awsome! Makes alot more sense too.