PDA

View Full Version : Lighting for a 30g with SPS.

Stab_Master_Arson
09-22-2008, 06:27 AM
I have decided to take the plunge into sps before Christmas. I have a few questions though. I DO NOT want to skimp on the lighting and I am looking at some Hamilton or PFO canopies from J&L. Since I live in a condo, The max size tank I would feel safe keeping is a 50, I have a 30 right now but I may want to upgrade. I want sufficient light, but a canopy that can be placed on a larger tank down the road. What wattage would you guys suggest? I have a 30incch long tank that is 18 inches deep. I was eyeing some of those 96wx2 pc and 400w x 2 mh fixtures...is this too much? My knowledge on MH lighting is limited. I also keep a bunch of softies like leathers, zoos, button polyps, hammers, torches, etc and i do not want them to be fried. Any help would be appreciated.

fencer
09-22-2008, 07:09 AM
I run 250w MH on a 33g tank with sps frags. That 96w PC is not enough. T5 might also be another solution

wickedfrags
09-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Does this system have a sump? Also, I would decide if you ever want to have a 4' tank before you buy your lighting as this is not an inexpensive purchase.

I would consider a high output T5 set-up for the system. While halides are great, the heat they produce on such a small system may be a little stressful for SPS, specially in the absence of a sump.

Stab_Master_Arson
09-23-2008, 02:34 AM
Does this system have a sump? Also, I would decide if you ever want to have a 4' tank before you buy your lighting as this is not an inexpensive purchase.

No, unfortunately I don't have a sump. I have thought about making a 10gallon one in the past,, but it has never happened. What would the advantage be as far as lighting? More water to absorb heat?

Secondly, I have seen foot long pendants hanging over large tanks. They don't take up the entire length of the tank. Would that be possible with a 30 inch canopy?

I would consider a high output T5 set-up for the system. While halides are great, the heat they produce on such a small system may be a little stressful for SPS, specially in the absence of a sump.
Never really considered T5's. Aren't they just like Pc's though with a little added horsepower? Something for me to look in to.

Stab_Master_Arson
09-23-2008, 02:36 AM
I run 250w MH on a 33g tank with sps frags. That 96w PC is not enough. T5 might also be another solution

You don't have problems with heat? does the canopy rest on the tank, or is it elevated? DO you find it agitates any softies or lps (if you have any)?

Marlin65
09-23-2008, 02:59 AM
250w DE on a 25 Gal and I had to run a chiller fans would not cut it on my tank.
Mostly SPS and there is such a thing as too much light at least on my tank.:wink:

Stab_Master_Arson
09-23-2008, 03:04 AM
hmm. I was hoping to put my chiller away soon... I guess to could elevate the light. I just don't want to buy something sub-par, I have done so in the past. I really want to do MH, but if it gets too hot I may have to consider alternatives.

cdhollan
09-23-2008, 04:03 AM
I have a 30 gallon, 30 inches long, and 18 inches deep as well. I am running a 250 MH DE Phoenix 14k. I got pc actinics too but i am switching those out for T5 KZ Fijii Purples. i also do not have a sump. My tank is in my basement and i do not have any problems with heat. I only have a few SPS corals but they are all doing well and growing and have nice color. i got my fixture off of ebay and just switched out the bulbs, because i had a very hard time finding a fixture to fit a 30 in long tank.

PoonTang
09-23-2008, 04:20 AM
If you go with a single 250w MH pendant then you have the option of setting the height to help your corals and also to regulate your heat a little. Also you can upgrade in the future to a larger tank and just add 1 or 2 more pendants.

michika
09-23-2008, 01:55 PM
At 18" deep I would recommend 250w. I've done 400w on tanks about that depth or shallower, and in the end it took longer for SPS to acclimate to the light, and was more expensive to run. It was also quite warm both for the tank and the room itself.

A good quality reflector will take you further then a less good reflector with the same bulb & ballast set up. At 30" wide (I am assuming) you could get away with one bulb and a good reflector, e.g. luminarc mini + bulb & ballast of your choice. However you mentioned wanting to go with an all in one set up, and I don't know enough about them to comment.

wickedfrags
09-23-2008, 02:21 PM
On such a small system, the overflow to the sump would assist with pulling the warmest layer of water off the surface, specially important if you select a MH fixture (also removes the unsightly layer of surface film). It would also assist in cooling to a degree while the water travels to the sump. More water also helps.

I foot long pendant would cover 24"s nicely, put may produce a spotlight effect if placed to close to the water. This is by all means possible, expect lover light areas on the sides of the tanks.

The difference between compact florescents and HO T5 is shocking. A 24" HO T5 fixture would cover the tank nicely (both front to back and side to side) and would likely add less heat to the system. Go to a LFS and check them out if you can. I would never give up my 400W halides, but since I own a HO 8 bulb T5 unit (over my grow-out tank), well IMO it is worth considering.

No, unfortunately I don't have a sump. I have thought about making a 10gallon one in the past,, but it has never happened. What would the advantage be as far as lighting? More water to absorb heat?

Secondly, I have seen foot long pendants hanging over large tanks. They don't take up the entire length of the tank. Would that be possible with a 30 inch canopy?

Never really considered T5's. Aren't they just like Pc's though with a little added horsepower? Something for me to look in to.

kwirky
09-23-2008, 07:17 PM
for your tank's dimensions I think T5 would give better lighting than MH will. And the PFO pendant is a little too focused to cover your tank across the full 30 inches. A 24" tek light or the likes (make sure it's HO and individual reflectors) would outperform a MH, especially watt for watt.

sanjay has data on the PFO reflectors and the spread's too narrow for the entire width of your tank, and overkill if you were using 2.

now as for something you can reuse on a larger tank, a sunlight supply lumenmax 3 might be a good choice. It'll do a better job than the PFO of covering your 30" wide tank, and when you upgrade the tank, you just add more lumenmax's. The lumenmax is for a 2'x2' area but you might be able to stretch it enough for your tank. You'll have some light over-reach front-back I'm assuming.

Stab_Master_Arson
09-24-2008, 07:46 AM
Thanks for all of your input guys. I did some thinking on the wattage, heat etc and my focus as turned to this item I found at J&L

Coralife AquaLight Pro Metal Halide HQI Clamp-On Pendant - 1 x 150W (http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/MH-CPENA20/Coralife+AquaLight+Pro+Metal+Halide+HQI+Clamp-On+Pendant+-+1+x+150W.html)

It's height is somewhat adjustable, clamps on easy and you can add more if you chose. i could buy 3 of these bad boys for the price of a 250w MH & PC canopy by Hamilton or PFO.

One more question remains though.. Is the intensity and effectiveness of multiple lamps be different (better/not better) than one big lamp?

wickedfrags
09-24-2008, 11:33 AM
I have seen these in action at the LFS. Not sure I would recommend them...this light is very small, maybe only 8" across and would really only act as a spotlight on a 30" tank. Would be good for a refugium that required metal halide. Have you considered this one?

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/sl-t5tl2404/Sunlight+Supply+24%22+Tek+Light+T5+Fixture+-+4-Bulb%2C+4+x+24W.html

If this is not for you, I would consider trying to gind a single 250W or 400W pendant used - they are often at least 4-8 inches wider and would provide you much better coverage.

What are you planning for actinics if you go with a single pendant? Gotta love the actincs.

Thanks for all of your input guys. I did some thinking on the wattage, heat etc and my focus as turned to this item I found at J&L

Coralife AquaLight Pro Metal Halide HQI Clamp-On Pendant - 1 x 150W (http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/MH-CPENA20/Coralife+AquaLight+Pro+Metal+Halide+HQI+Clamp-On+Pendant+-+1+x+150W.html)

It's height is somewhat adjustable, clamps on easy and you can add more if you chose. i could buy 3 of these bad boys for the price of a 250w MH & PC canopy by Hamilton or PFO.

One more question remains though.. Is the intensity and effectiveness of multiple lamps be different (better/not better) than one big lamp?

Stab_Master_Arson
09-26-2008, 10:03 AM
I have seen these in action at the LFS. Not sure I would recommend them...this light is very small, maybe only 8" across and would really only act as a spotlight on a 30" tank. Would be good for a refugium that required metal halide. Have you considered this one?

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/sl-t5tl2404/Sunlight+Supply+24%22+Tek+Light+T5+Fixture+-+4-Bulb%2C+4+x+24W.html

If this is not for you, I would consider trying to gind a single 250W or 400W pendant used - they are often at least 4-8 inches wider and would provide you much better coverage.

What are you planning for actinics if you go with a single pendant? Gotta love the actincs.

Alright wickedfrags, I think you sold me. 96 watts just didn't seem like much light but from what I have been reading, the efficiency and "PAR" makes a light. I might go with the 36" one instead though

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/sl-t5tl3604/Sunlight+Supply+36%22+Tek+Light+T5+Fixture+-+4-Bulb%2C+4+x+39W.html

It will add a little extra power and leave overhang so I can rest it across my tank rim, and do away with the cheap plastic canopy 65w pc is on. I will have to see when I go to J&L on Saturday.

What kind of SPS do you think this will support? Monti etc?