PDA

View Full Version : New 65 Gallon.

md14
09-22-2008, 04:44 AM
Well I just purchased a 65 Gallon drilled tank.

Now I can officaly make the sw plunge..

Specs below:

Tank Dimensions
36"L x 18"W x 23"H

Overflow Chamber Dimensions
10"L x 5"W x 21"H

Overflow Hole Dimensions
2 1/4" To Sump
1 1/2" Return (inside chamber)

Now I've been trying to do as much reading as possible I could to figure out what sort of plumbing system I should run. Any suggestions? I'm looking for a quiet system dont want any of that sump gurgling etc.

So should I go Herbie/Durso etc? I realise with the Herbie I'm going to need 2 drains so I was thinking of instead of running my return through the overflow chamber I could just run it from the back of the tank leaving me with two drains instead of one.

Any help/tips/pointers would be appreciated with the plumbing aspect as I'm fairly new.

*Wheres the best place to go for plumbing equipment etc.*

Thanks!!

md14
09-24-2008, 04:10 AM
Anybody :)?

mark
09-24-2008, 04:43 AM
Herbies are silent and no gurgling, Durso and others draw air so they will gurgle a bit. Depending on flow might not be that bad.

If tank isn't tempered could always drill a third hole but not the end of the world to go over the top for the return if do go the Herbie route. Can even do up a little manifold. (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2003/short.htm)

Plumbing; HD/Rona has lots, plumbing supply shops carry that one fitting you need and HD/Rona doesn't. Hot-tub places have lots of stuff as well and don't forget the LFS though might by the most expensive of all but do have thinner walled bulkheads. Herbies work best with a gate valve and that might take some hunting to find locally.

There is truth in the measure twice cut once, dry fit, make alignment marks. Spaflex can help a lot and glues into standard PVC fittings. Use primer and glue and need to give the twist when putting together.

md14
09-24-2008, 05:03 AM
Hey thanks Mark..

I believe I am going to be going the Herbie method, just using my return line as the emergency line instead. I dont mind going over the top for a return. I never heard about the manifold, and after looking into it. It's something I'm very interested in :)

Thanks!