Fire shrimp
Coral banded shrimp
Peppermint shrimp
Pistol
ETC

I was thinking on getting a cleaner or sexy let me know whaty you think

marie
09-22-2008, 04:16 AM
I've had cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp in all my reef tanks. They are pretty much reef safe (I have heard of peppermint shrimp eating zoas but its never happened to me and I have had lots over the years).

The big problem with them and you may find it too annoying to put up with, they like to steal food right out of corals mouths and they can dig down pretty deep to get it

Rippin
09-22-2008, 04:25 AM
The big problem with them and you may find it too annoying to put up with, they like to steal food right out of corals mouths and they can dig down pretty deep to get it

And this is the exact reason why I don't think I'll ever have any shrimp (especially sexy shrimp) in my tanks again :sad:

Trigs
09-22-2008, 04:46 AM
yah im thinking of picking up 1 of both, then if they dont work out, in the sump/fuge they go!

noirsphynx
09-22-2008, 04:55 AM
I have 4 sexy's in my nano and a peppermint. I love the sexy's, no problems with them but the darn peppermint is horrible for stealing food from my corals. I find the sexy's pretty much sit tight and wait for food to come to them unlike the peppermint.

hillbillyreefer
09-22-2008, 05:12 AM
Peppermints are hell on aiptasia. They are also terrible for stealing food from corals. I used to feed mine first then feed the corals. My cleaner shrimp is also a thief but not as aggressive as the pep.

Keri
09-22-2008, 05:32 AM
My sexies like to jump around and close polyps which bugged me in the nano because it was more obvious but in the 65g they don't tend to do this as much, mostly hanging out in my birds'nest (which doesn't seem to mind) and rarely stealing food.

My gold CBB (in another tank) is a thief! but I only have a couple of corals in there so it's not such a big deal.

Other than the theft, niether of them directly harm the corals

One thing to consider would be that a lot of cool looking fish don't mind making a meal of a shrimp

DanG
09-22-2008, 09:47 PM
I've got 2 big fire shrimp and a peppermint shrimp in my tank, they've all been model citizens.

mseepman
09-22-2008, 09:56 PM
I'm adding a pistol shrimp (and goby) to my nano tank today and I've had a Coral Banded in my main tank for over a year without any issues.

ElGuappo
09-22-2008, 10:29 PM
I've got 2 big fire shrimp and a peppermint shrimp in my tank, they've all been model citizens.

my fire shrimp were awsome aswell. also i have never seen my camelbacks do anthing to worry about.

Oscar
09-22-2008, 10:47 PM
I'm adding a pistol shrimp (and goby) to my nano tank today and I've had a Coral Banded in my main tank for over a year without any issues.

Looking forward to photos of shrimp and goby.

Lance
09-22-2008, 11:02 PM
I had two cleaner shrimp that would aggressively steal food from corals.. I gave one away and the remaining shrimp is now much less likely to harass corals. It is a model citizen now. They are much more timid when housed singly.

ponokareefer
09-23-2008, 12:12 AM
I've had, at one time or another, sexy shrimp, cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp, peppermint shrimp, fire shrimp, and coral banded shrimp. I agree with other people that some of the shrimp will sometimes steal food. Also, I rarely ever saw the coral banded shrimp in the daytime. I think I still have one in my 125 gallon, but unless I look in the middle of the night, I don't see it. The pistol shrimp will take/bury corals in the sand if they are near its burrow. My sexy shrimp never go further than a few inches from my tube anemone's, so I haven't had to worry about them. I found that the cleaner shrimp are out and about during the day the most of all the shrimp I have kept.

dsaundry
09-23-2008, 12:50 AM
Got a pistol shrimp and goby,,cleaner shrimp and pepermints..no probs
:biggrin:

Patrick1
09-23-2008, 03:09 PM
I keep Fire Shrimp, Cleaners, Peppermint, and Harlequin Shrimp. None have caused me any headaches. I feed my Cleaners and Fires some Krill of their own before I feed my corals. Keeping them fat and happy keeps me happy and my corals.