PDA

View Full Version : Anemone Questions

BigA
09-22-2008, 03:26 AM
Hi everyone

I just bought a new anemone on saturday

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l336/AaronOlson_photo/032.jpg

and I think it is a Sebae. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, it is in a tank with 2 Ocellaris Clownfish. I know that I've only had the anemone for a couple of days, but I was wondering what other people out here have done to get their clowns to host? I know that clowns don't always host, but I hope mine do. Any tips or tricks? Should I just wait for a while still? 1 of them seems curious about the anemone and swims over to it and kinda hovers around for a couple seconds, and then it swims away. Anyone think I will have any luck?

Thanks in advance.

Delphinus
09-22-2008, 03:31 AM
'tis indeed a Sebae. Heteractis crispa. In time it will become more of a caramel colour.

As for clowns, mostly just wait, they'll usually figure it out on their own sooner or later. Some people try putting pictures of clownfish inside anemones up to the glass in an effort to drop them a big hint, and some people swear this works, ... but whether it's coicidence or not I can't say. Worth a try if you want to speed things along.

Basically, clowns are dumb. They should likely eventually figure it out, but there's no guarantee that they don't find a powerhead more comfortable or a coral or a clam. In our aquariums there tend not to be predators so they get away with it.

noirsphynx
09-22-2008, 04:50 AM
[QUOTE=BigA;346808]Hi everyone

I just bought a new anemone on saturdayQUOTE]

I think I know where you bought that cause I was eyeing it up:biggrin: very nice! Seeing it again just makes me wish I had of grabbed it, lol.

marie
09-22-2008, 05:11 AM
Mine looked just like that when I got it last year

Now it looks like this
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/anemone045.jpg

It would easily be 12-14" if it was fully spread out and thats not including the tentacles

whatcaneyedo
09-22-2008, 08:20 AM
It looks like my sebae did when I first got it as well. My tomatoe clown hosted to it right away, It was love at first sight. Look really hard and you can see her in there lol.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/whatcaneyedo/pic034.jpg

BigA
09-22-2008, 04:03 PM
[QUOTE=BigA;346808]Hi everyone

I just bought a new anemone on saturdayQUOTE]

I think I know where you bought that cause I was eyeing it up:biggrin: very nice! Seeing it again just makes me wish I had of grabbed it, lol.

Well, if you were in the same place, there were 2 more of them in one of the bottom coral tanks at closing on saturday......:wink:

BigA
09-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Mine looked just like that when I got it last year.

It would easily be 12-14" if it was fully spread out and thats not including the tentacles

It looks like my sebae did when I first got it as well. My tomatoe clown hosted to it right away, It was love at first sight. Look really hard and you can see her in there lol.

So what did you guys do to get them looking that good? Was it hard to get the zooxanthellae back to that brownish point? Daily supplimental feedings?

marie
09-22-2008, 04:15 PM
So what did you guys do to get them looking that good? Was it hard to get the zooxanthellae back to that brownish point? Daily supplimental feedings?

Time was the biggest factor.In the begininning I fed mysis shrimp twice a week with the occasional feedings of raw clam, chunks of prawn and fish (whatever fishy thing I was having for dinner, before it was cooked of course :mrgreen: )

Now I skip the mysis feedings and just feed it chunks of my fishy dinners (fed maybe twice a month?)

whatcaneyedo
09-22-2008, 05:29 PM
At the time I was only running regular florescents (I was new and ignorant) but I fed the anemone krill or silversides every couple of days. Under that lighting it took a long time to color up and it only turned a light pink. Once I switched to metal halide it really darkened up to what you see in the picture. Like Marie said it took a long time to darken and looking back I think I was just lucky that it didnt die in my tank.

BigA
09-23-2008, 04:10 AM
I have another question. Now the anemone has closed up a little, not all the way, and is expelling a white slimy substance. Does anyone know what that is? Is it a normal occurance?

BigA
09-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Well, I think it was just expelling some waste. This morning it is opened up nice and big again.