PDA

View Full Version : Clam help

andestang
09-21-2008, 09:57 PM
I noticed lately one of my Crocea's did seem happy, starting to have poor mantle extension. Noticed a couple a Aiptasia growing on it so I decided to give him a little TLC and scrub his shell. Well to my horror I found his foot had a hole in it with some small bristleworms inside:twised:So probably have eaten away at it. I don't have very many or even large ones in the system that I've seen. Did my best to get them out and now I'm going to research if there is anyway to safely cover over the damaged foot other than trying to keep it buried. I fear I may be to late :sad: Any help/suggestions appreciated.

Zoaelite
09-21-2008, 10:13 PM
Now when you say foot what do you mean? Clams have an area on the bottom that is open (A picture would really help here). Besides Bristleworms are detrivours and wouldn't attack and eat a healthy clam.
Levi

michika
09-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Hit up the clams direct forum if you can't figure it out here. Post a photo, and they should be able to help you out considerably.

That aside, how big is the clam in question?

a4twenty
09-22-2008, 12:39 AM
the aptasia are likely the cause of the poor mantle extension and the hole in the bottom where the foot / byssal thread comes out is normal. as the others have pointed out a picture would really help, just to be sure.