PDA

View Full Version : what lighting should I get

twokays
09-21-2008, 08:30 AM
I haven't done salt water for 30 years and everything is advanced now. I recently converted my 72gal bow front from fresh to marine and would like to aquire lighting that will handle a live coral set-up and keep my options open for a wide range of choices. The bow front is 4' wide but the top is only 12" depth at the ends though 18" in the middle. I would like a factory lighting as this is not a basement set-up but a living room location. Product suggestions?

Melonbob
09-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Budget - 48" Current USA Nova Extreme Pro
- 48" Catalina Solar t5

Mid Road - 48" Tek t5, 6 bulb
48" Aquactinics tx5

High End - 48" Aquactinics Solar flare
48" PFO Solaris I5

This is only an opinion, but t5 lighting is the best choice, especially for smaller tanks, less heat issues, less frequent bulb changes, and easier to mix bulbs for a custom look. The PFO solaris is very expensive, but it's LED lighting and never has bulbs to change.

Doug
09-21-2008, 01:50 PM
I haven't done salt water for 30 years and everything is advanced now. I recently converted my 72gal bow front from fresh to marine and would like to aquire lighting that will handle a live coral set-up and keep my options open for a wide range of choices. The bow front is 4' wide but the top is only 12" depth at the ends though 18" in the middle. I would like a factory lighting as this is not a basement set-up but a living room location. Product suggestions?

Hi and welcome to Canreef. I will move this to the main reefing forum for you for a better response.

jslaney
09-21-2008, 02:12 PM
Funnily enough I am in the exact same situation.

What I have decided to do is partially because I had some existing equipment and the fact that I am cheap.

Single Coralife Compact floresent in the front with a single clip on metal halide on the back.

The Compact floresent could easily be converted or replaced with T5s which seem to be in favour at the moment.

The metal halide is essential due to the really cool mottled lighting effect it gives you.

That being said I will not be having an sps dominated tank. Maybe just a few higher up near the metal halide.

Interested in other peoples ideas.

Jon

michika
09-21-2008, 02:45 PM
What you need for lighting depends exactly on what you are going to keep, hard corals, SPS & LPS, soft corals, or clams.

Your lighting options in general are Metal Halide, T5, Power Compacts, and LEDs. I think thats a complete list.

Metal Halide, or T5 can keep most anything. Power Compacts are more for low light requiring species, and I don't know enough about LEDs to comment.

Google some names and check out a few product reviews so at least when you've chosen your fixture, that you know what you are getting yourself into.

fishytime
09-21-2008, 03:22 PM
You forgot solar Catherine:mrgreen: (please dont body check me):wink:

michika
09-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Lol! I'll hold off...this time! Solar is supposed to be fantastic if you can do it.

Red Coral Aquariums
09-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Here is some options for T5 lighting to look at. Also there is metal hallide lighting if you want to go there. T5 6 bulb is a good way to go with your 18 " tank height for growing just about anything. Here is a link to our t5's for sale.
http://www.sunlightsupply.com/product.cfm?sid=86B80905085D5F161A45C48F635A9C05&p=966&cs=products.cfm%3Fsid%3D86B80905085D5F161A45C48F63 5A9C05%26c%3D34%26kys%3D%26pgi%3D2

Thanks
Kevin

Trigger Man
09-22-2008, 03:36 AM
I've been running the Tek T5's with SPS, LPS, anenomes, and more, and have found that they have produced great results for years for me. Cost is reasonable, and they don't let off to much heat which is a bonus. Bulb variety is excellent as well.

kwirky
09-23-2008, 07:39 PM
I second the tek lights for your tank. It's not very long, front to back, thus making metal halide an inefficient choice. With HO T5's you'll also be able to fine tune your colour and brightness with bulb choice and location. Stay away from power compact. It may be cheaper to start up but the bulb replacement will bite you in the rear.

If you go with T5, make sure it's a system that has individual reflectors for each bulb.

Melonbob
09-23-2008, 08:18 PM
Not trying to bash individual reflectors, because they are definately the best setup for t5 lights, however, an individual reflector unit like the nova extreme will also do nicely for a wide variety of corals. Go individual if you can afford it though