PDA

View Full Version : solution for xenia removal

purplepolypeater
09-21-2008, 02:48 AM
i have had a tiger cowry for about 4 months and every night it would trawl the glass feeding on algae. last week i found it parked on a patch of xenia. at that time i had 6 colonies about 2-3 inch thick 10 inch high on my sandbed to prevent wild growth. today i have run out of xenia. my snail is back on the glass. i have never heard of anything actually eating it. if you dont want xenia try one out. just thought id share as i seem to do ten times more reading than posting as i use my ps3 for surfing and dont have a keyboard.
im trailing off topic.

fkshiu
09-21-2008, 04:49 AM
The problem is that a tiger cowrie will eventually mow down desirables as well such as zoas and encrusting corals.

REDNECK_REEFER
09-21-2008, 05:47 AM
try chopping off the heads and selling them and then take a gob of tunze and cover up the foot.

purplepolypeater
09-21-2008, 08:37 AM
where did you hear they ate encrusting coral.
softies, zoos, condy nems, sponges. but ive never heard encrusting coral.
you mean montis? if they eat montis give me a link that states that please. zoos and softies i dont really want and usually people inquire but dont buy from me so...
Go get em tiger!

fkshiu
09-21-2008, 07:48 PM
I was being a bit sloppy when I wrote "encrusting corals". I specifically remembered a relatively recent thread where a tiger cowrie had chowed down on a non-softie coral. It turned out to be a plate coral:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40449

I also recall reading on Bob Fenner's site about a naughty cowrie. This time the victim was a donut coral (scolymia):

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/snailcompfaqs.htm

If you think about it, there's no reason why a tiger cowrie going along would differentiate between zoas, softies or any other fleshy matter (like the polyps of LPS). I wouldn't be surprised if given the chance a tiger cowrie would eat SPS including monti caps. It's just that most people keep their SPS higher up on rockwork where the cowrie can't get access.

It seems that as they grow, tiger cowries can become more omnivorous and become a risk to any type of coral at on near the sandbed.

scumchug
09-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Tiger cowries eat zoo's? I knew they were not reef safe, but didn't know why. Would that include button polyp's as well? I have a bunch growing on rocks that can't be removed and would like them gone. Will one of these work for me?