PDA

View Full Version : cleaner shrimp

Samw
04-14-2003, 07:37 PM
I have a small cleaner shrimp for sale $12 or trade for a small coral banded shrimp.

Trevor Robertson
04-14-2003, 09:23 PM
I know that I am not the most experianced on the board but I have to tell you that I had a coral banded shrimp that attacked and KILLED 3 of my fish, including a rather large yellow tang in my last tank. It was very smart would hid behind a rock and jump on to the fish and bring it down! :evil:

Just my 2 cents

AJ_77
04-14-2003, 09:44 PM
I know that I am not the most experianced on the board but I have to tell you that I had a coral banded shrimp that attacked and KILLED 3 of my fish, including a rather large yellow tang in my last tank. It was very smart would hid behind a rock and jump on to the fish and bring it down! :evil:

Just my 2 cents
Dude - that is quite a story! How big was this CBS? Did it look like this:

http://members.shaw.ca/reefs/cbs_small.jpg

Because this one never took a serious grab at any fish, even in a 15 gallon nano. Just the odd swing... but he seemed to have enough to eat, and I did feed him.

Quinn
04-14-2003, 10:05 PM
i've heard plenty of stories about coral banded shrimp. however i expect if you keep them in an aquarium with suitable tankmates they're fine.

Beverly
04-14-2003, 10:59 PM
I have a small cleaner shrimp for sale $12 or trade for a small coral banded shrimp.

IMO, keep the cleaner shrimp and skip the coral banded. Have heard too many stories of these guys being fairly effective predators. One reefing friend finally caught his and banned it to his sump where it couldn't do any more damage to the fish in his reef.

Samw
04-14-2003, 11:24 PM
OK, I've been convinced not to get the coral banded shrimp. But since I have 3 cleaner shrimps, this one is still for sale.

Bob I
04-15-2003, 03:46 AM

Just my 2 cents

A normal sized CBS jump on a large Yellow Tang, and bring it down??? Come on. http://www.crazypics.de/smilies_boese/boese020.gif http://www.crazypics.de/smilies_boese/Bose_Smilies_2/boese068.gif

EmilyB
04-15-2003, 04:07 AM
Well, that monster CBS of yours Alan, took a few jabs at the damsel, enough to scare me. The damsel slept in the rock, so I think that may have saved him.

I was more worried about Puff, but he took to sleeping on top of the outlet from the Bakpak skimmer.

Then...... :eek:

Well, when I sent the CBS off to his new home, his claw got caught in the net and it easily came unassembled....... Awesome killing machine, it hurt to touch that claw. Anyway, I hope he will regenerate his claw when he sheds, but what I saw was enough to put me off them, I'd be real careful...... :eek:

AJ_77
04-15-2003, 05:26 AM
I read they throw (detach) their claws as a last defense - to alarm you enough to let them get away...

Crazy. Hope he finds a good home somewhere. At least I have pictures.
:cool:

Samw
04-15-2003, 07:40 AM

Oh, anyone want to get rid of their emerald crab? I'll trade the shrimp for a green emerald crab as well.

Trevor Robertson
04-15-2003, 02:05 PM
yes he was not over sized, same size that I have seen too many times in the LFS. I was just as shocked as all of you. PS looked just like that scary picture you put up. I nicknamed it my money sucker!

Good to hear you changed your mind. :smile:

Dorkel Marine 1
04-20-2003, 06:17 AM
If its still available I'll take your shrimp.

ps. My yellow polyps are not coming out. they seem ok otherwise but they are not coming out. its been a couple of days now. do you think inticing them with food would help. Or maybe i'm worrying needlessly.

George.

Samw
04-20-2003, 06:41 AM
If its still available I'll take your shrimp.

ps. My yellow polyps are not coming out. they seem ok otherwise but they are not coming out. its been a couple of days now. do you think inticing them with food would help. Or maybe i'm worrying needlessly.

George.

Sorry, the shrimp has been sold. As for the polyps, hard to say. They shouldn't be closed during the day.

DJ88
04-20-2003, 04:54 PM
Just wanted to chime in here... The last CBS I had, when it was in a tank with an Atlantic Blue Tang it would regularly clean that fish. In the same manner as the regular skunk cleaner would do. So it will depend on the shrimp. The only difficulty I had with this guy was that he was a very efficient worm hunter. As are all shrimp if you don't feed them till they burst.