PDA

View Full Version : My First Tank

Lofus
04-14-2003, 04:43 PM
After seeing a relatives tank in Vancouver, I decided to start my own tank. The specs are:

72 gal bowfront with 100lbs of live rock and a 3" sand bed (I'm still adding the sand). I'm using a Berlin classic skimmer in a 25 gal sump (wet/dry with the bio balls removed). The main pump is a little giant 3mdqxdc and circulation is enhanced by 3 maxi-jet 1200's.

The tank has been running with just live rock for two weeks and Amonia, nitrite and nitrate are all 0. Not sure if it is cycling or has finished.

The little giant pump is really loud so I'm looking for ideas on how to quiet it.

Great to find this site and see so many others in the hobby in Calgary.

[/img]

Delphinus
04-14-2003, 04:46 PM
Welcome to Canreef. :cool: :mrgreen:

Bob I
04-14-2003, 04:51 PM
Welcome to the board Lofus (If that is your real name), and remember the only thing two reefers agree on is that the third one is doing it all wrong. :arrow: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Buccaneer
04-14-2003, 05:10 PM
If that is your real name

Dont worry Lofus .... " recipe " IS his real name :evil:

Cheers

Lofus
04-14-2003, 05:50 PM
Thanks for all the input. What are the good LFS' in town. I've been to Big Al's but that is about it.

Where is the best place to get livestock? I've been looking at J&L Aquatics but am a little nervous mail ordering fish sight unseen.

Thanks,

Jim

Delphinus
04-14-2003, 06:02 PM
For MO J&L is OK, as is www.saltwaterconnection.com in Winnipeg. For dry goods there is also www.mops.ca out of Ottawa. www.seacare.org is also a good place to get stuff (livestock) from.

LFS ... there is Big Al's, Wai's, Pisces, Riverfront, Oceans, Golds, and ... and ... I'm sure I'm missing a bunch here. It's kind of a touchy topic, but each has their own strengths and weaknesses, good days and bad days.

Quinn
04-14-2003, 06:14 PM
if you're in the mood for a road trip you will want to check out aquarium illusions in edmonton.

Lofus
04-14-2003, 09:15 PM
This is a copy of what I had posted to Reefs.org:

I've set up a 10 gal quarentine tank for adding fish and it is nearing the end of its cycle.

This is going to be a FOWLR and I was thinking of adding the following fish. I would really appreciate any comments. This is the first aquarium I've ever set up so I need all the help I can get.

the fish are:

1 - Ocellaris Clownfish
1 - Purple Tang or 1 - Regal Tang
5 - Green Chromis or 5 - Lyretail Anthias (or a mix)
1 - Lawnmower Blenny
1 - Ribbon Eel

for inverts

1 - Red Marble Star
2-3 - Peppermint Shrimp
2 - Cleaner Shrimp
20 - Astrea Snails
45 - Blue Legged Hermit Crabs.

If I get any corals growing from the LR I will decide if I want to keep them but the lights are 2 48" 10,000K full spectrum and one 48" 40W 03 Actinic so I don't expect to get any growing. Once I get the hang of this I will upgrade the lights to MH and start on some corals but that is probably a year or so down the road.

The consensus is I should drop the eel but the rest seem ok. What would you guys recommend for order of adding the fish? I am planning on putting the snails and crabs in ASAP to tackle the hair algae I have started growing on the LR.

Quinn
04-14-2003, 10:02 PM
confirming that a ribbon eel (provided you can even find one) is a bad choice - they have an annoying habit of starving to death in captivity.

this is a quarantine tank, so i'm assuming the inhabitants will be moved to the 72 gal later? a 10 gal is far too small for a tang of any type, which tend to get very large (even a 72 gal may be small for a tang, regal especially). have you considered a dwarf angel instead?

otherwise i personally would say that sounds ok.

Lofus
04-14-2003, 10:39 PM
The QT is 10 gal, the main tank where all the fish will end up is 72 gal.

I've planned a 4 week quarantine period for all fish entering the main tank.

Quinn
04-14-2003, 10:57 PM
that is a good plan. watch that the tang doesn't get overly stressed spending four weeks in a 10 gal or your quarantining may be for naught.

Bob I
04-15-2003, 01:29 AM

Cheers

You are too funny for words. My initials are R.C, and my last name is Ipema. Do we have a problem with that :question: :question:

Bob I
04-15-2003, 01:46 AM
This is a copy of what I had posted to Reefs.org:

I've set up a 10 gal quarentine tank for adding fish and it is nearing the end of its cycle.

This is going to be a FOWLR and I was thinking of adding the following fish. I would really appreciate any comments. This is the first aquarium I've ever set up so I need all the help I can get.

the fish are:

1 - Ocellaris Clownfish
1 - Purple Tang or 1 - Regal Tang
5 - Green Chromis or 5 - Lyretail Anthias (or a mix)
1 - Lawnmower Blenny
1 - Ribbon Eel

I personally am not fond of a quarantine tank, and in your case I can only see problems, especially with tangs and Anthias. The tank is far too small for them. An alternate idea might be to add fish directly to the main tank after the cycle is complete (with 100lbs of LR there will not be much of a cycle.)
I would however go slowly, as a just cycled tank won't support many fish. I would start out with the Chromis, and the Clown. Then well down the road when you have learned more I would reconsider the Anthias, and the Tang. I would probably substitute a Bicolor Blenny for the Lawnmower, as they seem tricky. Lastly forget the Eel

Those are my ideas anyway. :biggrin:

EmilyB
04-15-2003, 02:04 AM
Lofus, if you are adding a tang, most suggest to add it last.

However, I don't really see anything on your stocking list, that IMO most tangs would bother. Plus, then you may be in big trouble.....QT or not...

You will have to watch your QT water parameters really closely in such a small QT tank, because tangs need to eat a LOT to build up their natural immunities.

I always found a chromis made good company for a fish held in QT, they seem to be less stressed with a companion.

That all said, it's probably not really exactly what I would do in every case..... :redface: but I have been very lucky.....be sure you get a plump tang that is eating like a hog.

Dresden
04-15-2003, 02:54 AM
WIth a tank that size a Yellow or even Kole tang might be better fitted and better temper.

Buccaneer
04-15-2003, 04:38 AM

Cheers

You are too funny for words. My initials are R.C, and my last name is Ipema. Do we have a problem with that :question: :question:

I know ... I am hilarious :rolleyes:

Just seeing if you like " if that is your real name " statement thrown back at ya ... the recipe part was just for $h!t$ and giggles

You dont think my real name is Rasta do you ? ... actually I am from the Caribbean originally so that is where it is from :smile:

Cheers

TANGOMAN
04-15-2003, 03:06 PM
Welcome to the world of endless expense. Equally endless enjoyment, provided things are goin' good. I have little experience with your prospective fish. I have read that Regal Tangs are "planktivores"? Others with experience may be helpful with feeding/nutritional requirements. Those nutritional requirements are critical for life in captivity.
I am a big supporter of quarantine practices. Many aren't. They both have benefits and drawbacks. A 10g is small IMO for a quarantine tank. Rapid fluctuations with so little water. Fluctuations are the last thing a stressed fish needs. 33g's are available from Gold's Aquarium for I think $30.00.
This site is a valuable asset. There are a lot of knowledgable folks glad to help. As mentioned, patience is a must. So to is the ability to overcome the fear that accompanies asking what one might perceive as "a stupid question". Don't worry, I've already asked all the stupid questions.

ps when ya' find the good stores in town, let us know. You'll be king !

kari
04-16-2003, 04:47 AM
The little giant pump is really loud so I'm looking for ideas on how to quiet it.
[/img]

Where and how is the pump mounted? Sometimes a little experimenting can make even a "Little Giant" relatively quiet. You can try things like;
isolated pump location on say a concrete floor or rubber dampers between pump plate and mounting surface. They always seem a little quieter when the pump is bolted down rather then held in place by plumbing and gravity only.

kari

Lofus
04-16-2003, 03:33 PM
Due to space limitations the pump is mounted on the side of the tank stand. I am planning on some rubber washers between the pump and wood. I also think a couple of cross braces will help.

I would like to close the back of the stand in but the heat the pump gives off will cook the tank. I keep the house at 21 C and with no heater the pump maintains 27 C water temp.

TANGOMAN
04-16-2003, 04:04 PM
Uh-oh...did you say no heater ? :eek: . I'm confused. "The heat the pump gives off will cool the tank..." :confused:
I would advise against enclosing the stand for "acoustical" reasons. Evaporation and humidity in there will make it a sweaty mess. My 60g corner stand is enclosed with the exception of two, 4" holes. It was a mess until I installed an exhaust fan in one of the holes. I then put flexible dryer vent hose in the other hole which pulls warm air from the canopy. I still splurged on a heater... :cool:

Delphinus
04-16-2003, 05:26 PM
Doug, clean that dirty spot off your computer screen, he said "cook" not "cool". :razz: :wink:

Lofus
04-16-2003, 07:05 PM
I am more concerned about keeping the tank cool then hot. Short of enclosing the back and adding an exhaust fan (more noise) I was thinking of a baffles type muffler to knock the sound out but still allow air movement.

I may still be forced into adding some foam to the cabinet doors though.

Delphinus
04-16-2003, 08:28 PM
Actually, I'm glad you mentioned that. I'd be having the same concern if it was my tank. If your tank is 27 when its 21 in the house, what's going to happen when it's >30 outside? Do you have A/C? I know it doesn't get >30 all THAT often, but it does happen. I'd be keeping a half a thought process on this in the next little while, you have a few months before it's a real threat but it's nice to have a contingency plan if it does happen. My house gets crazy hot in the summer so this is something I have to deal with every summer. I typically deal with the heat with extra fans blowing on my sump, does a bangup job but it increases the evaporation like crazy so you need to be on top of the top-up. The only issue with fans is that you really DO want a heater because if you get too much evap you can actually pull your tank temp down too low. So you definitely want some kind of balancing act there. Just my $0.02, hopefully not a really huge deal but like I said it's something I think I'd be thinking about if it were my tank.

cheers

kari
04-17-2003, 04:08 AM
I agree with Tony on spending small dollars (relative to your investment) on a heater for more stable temp. When the heater is not needed and not running, great, no power consumption.
Speaking of summer heat coming, has anybody found a good deal on a chiller$$$$$$ :question:

Regarding pump noise part-2, the baffle idea will have very limited success based on my past similar problems and opinions from various pump sales people. I still recommend spending some time with various mounting ideas of the pump before constructing baffles. Sometimes an enclosure with act like a skeaker box. Believe it or not, a Little Giant noise machine can be defeated :biggrin:

Oh, don't bother trying egg cartons :sad:

kari

kari
04-17-2003, 04:25 AM
Due to space limitations the pump is mounted on the side of the tank stand.

Could the pump not be mounted on the floor instead of on the side of stand :question:
Not sure what the floor is (eg. conc or wood) but maybe mount the pump on something not attached to tank stand or cabinet.

Note: If you hold the pump in your hand while its running, it is very quiet. Maybe hire somebody to hold the pump indefinately :eek:

Can you please leave a note later as I am very curious of the method used when you find the answer.

Kari

Lofus
04-17-2003, 04:18 PM
I think you are right Kari in that the pump is relatively quiet but the tank stand is amplifying the noise. I'll let you know the success of the washers and bracing. I might put some of those heavy felt underpads between the stand and pump as well.

I'll skip the baffles and get a clip-on fan. I have a heater already for the QT.