PDA

View Full Version : drip controller for kalk

spikehs
04-14-2003, 06:10 AM
I have started to does kalk, but i find it hard trying to adjust the drip rate with a knot and airvalve control.....does anyone know where i could find something better to adjust the drip rate? Thanks.

Sean

Canadian Man
04-14-2003, 02:34 PM
the airvalves works the best sean but it's still not good. I found you have to adjust it every day.

I do have a reactor for sale and that would solve your problems :lol: :razz:

spikehs
04-14-2003, 03:14 PM
calcium or kalk?

Canadian Man
04-14-2003, 03:19 PM
calcium

kari
04-17-2003, 03:24 AM
How about that Rona 1/4" irrigation line valve? Cheap and seems OK in my thoughts. Only problem is that calcium will build up in the valve and cause reduced flow and need for adjustment once in a while( eventually clean or replace valve.)
It will work better than an air line valve but still painful.

kari

kari
04-17-2003, 03:36 AM
I guess I should have read Jonathon's reply before I started blabbering.
Once I used a Rubbermaid container over the sump which I pearced with a hot needle for the outlet. Two or three tries to get the drip rate right. Calcium buildup was less of a problem and very easy to clean but still present. I tossed the valve idea.
Later I tossed the Kalk idea aswell.

kari

spikehs
04-17-2003, 04:04 AM
i think i'll have to stick with the kalk + 2part for a while, unless I get a really wicked summer office job.

kari
04-17-2003, 04:36 AM
I didn't mean Kalk was a bad method. It has many positive sides. I'm just not smart enough to deal with it or too lazy. I still use the old Rubbermaid thing once in a while and it works just fine (simple, fool proof for me, and cheap.)

kari

spikehs
04-17-2003, 05:17 AM
i just tested my levels today after driping about 1gal/day I started out at 450ppm, and was down to 350 plus i have a VERY light load calcium wise...I think this dosing kalk will be good cause it'll help keep my water level more stable (i always had a few probs with that)....I'll probably go with a calcium reactor eventually...but who knows when :question:

Delphinus
04-17-2003, 03:39 PM
Have you thought about using a float valve for topoff? If so you can just make your topoff water kalk. That's what I'm doing, I'm sure it's way less effective than a kalk stirrer but I believe it has some effect still. I wasn't happy with dripping kalk separately, it was more hassle than just making all the topoff kalk. It's hard to make tangible the effects of both kalk and a Ca reactor but I beleive I'm better off for it. I use a Kent float valve on my 75, it has clogged once in a year. On my 72g I use a humidifer float valve, much cheaper than a Kent valve (1/3 the price) but the orifice is far too small and with kalk it does clog about once per month. I clear the clog by taking a syringe and shooting water in the line, and then it starts the flow again. I never had clog issue with the humidifier valve before I was pushing kalk through them so I know it's the kalk. I was thinking of following Tangoman's suggestion and drilling the orifice out a little larger. The hole is very small (after all it's indended for household supply pressure). Anyways some food for thought: a float valve, either the $30 Kent valve, or the $10 humidifier float valve but with extra maintenance or a wee modification. HTH

Canadian Man
04-17-2003, 04:24 PM
Have you thought about using a float valve for topoff? If so you can just make your topoff water kalk. That's what I'm doing, I'm sure it's way less effective than a kalk stirrer but I believe it has some effect still. I wasn't happy with dripping kalk separately, it was more hassle than just making all the topoff kalk. It's hard to make tangible the effects of both kalk and a Ca reactor but I beleive I'm better off for it. I use a Kent float valve on my 75, it has clogged once in a year. On my 72g I use a humidifer float valve, much cheaper than a Kent valve (1/3 the price) but the orifice is far too small and with kalk it does clog about once per month. I clear the clog by taking a syringe and shooting water in the line, and then it starts the flow again. I never had clog issue with the humidifier valve before I was pushing kalk through them so I know it's the kalk. I was thinking of following Tangoman's suggestion and drilling the orifice out a little larger. The hole is very small (after all it's indended for household supply pressure). Anyways some food for thought: a float valve, either the $30 Kent valve, or the $10 humidifier float valve but with extra maintenance or a wee modification. HTH

Just a note on the valve with kalk. Back in the day when I used to use that Kalk stuff :lol: I drilled the hole out larger to help with the clogging and I found that it actually cloged faster with the opening being bigger and also the float valve had some troubles turning off because of the larger hole.

Delphinus
04-17-2003, 04:53 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the tip ... maybe I won't bother with the hole mod then.