PDA

View Full Version : Ft/fs Sebae Anemone

TheRealBigAL
09-17-2008, 07:37 AM
I originaly got this anemone for my clowns to host in but they decided not to and hosted in my frogspawn. It is a very heathly anemone 3-4 inches eats a silverside every second day VERY STICKY. I would like to trade for brightly colored zoos or a nice peice of live rock. If you really wanna buy it $20. If no one has responded to this add by 3pm on wednesday I am taking in to JL for trade.

Thanx Allan

Whatigot
09-17-2008, 03:11 PM
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHA....

Stupid darwin clowns...lol
Too bad man, thats a really pretty anemone, guess it's not worth the risk to your mandarins if the clowns don't want to host in it.

Maybe someone here knows something you haven't tried to get them hosting??

super7
09-18-2008, 05:02 AM
what colour is the base, what colour zoos do you want?
Thanks Super7

Marlin65
09-18-2008, 05:58 AM
Sebae will host the following.
barrier reef, Two Band, Orange Fin, Clark's, Red Saddle back, White Band, White Bonnet, Red and Black, Oman, Percula, Pink Skunk, Saddelback, Orange Skunk, and the three band.
Do you have any of those if not chances are the will not host.
If you tell me what clowns you have I can tell you what anamone is best for them.

TheRealBigAL
09-18-2008, 06:45 AM
I appreciate you tryin to help but I obviously checked out what anemone my clowns would like before I bought it. They hosted in a frogspawn anyways.

THANKS TO SEAHORSE FANATIC FOR GIVING THE ANEMONE A GOOD HOME.

Marlin65
09-18-2008, 07:44 AM
Its better they host something else did you know anemones live to 300 + years in the wild.
In captivity 3-5 months best case for most. Sebae has an expected live span of only a year in captivity under pristine conditions.
Not wanting to sound negative or tell you what to do but knowledge in this hobby is important.
I think they should be left in the wild as if there are no anemone the clown fish will not survive only a mating pair makes it in the wild after laying eggs for their whole lives as few make it to maturity, and in the wild they need the anemone to survive as they are slow and easy pray. In captivity they don't need this as we take care of them.
My 2 cents

Whatigot
09-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Marlin, I gotta say that therealbigal takes more care in fewer tank inhabitants rather than overwhelming himself with many...
That is to say, the sebae when he had it was fed a silverside every 2 days by hand and literally had the run of his tank...

I would bet his library of books on clownfish husbandry exceeds even your own as he buys a new one every week or so and reads them until I can't even stand how much he has to say about clowns...

I know we're all just trying to help each other out, but I wouldn't question his knowledge on something like this just because his darwins wouldn't host on his sebae as planned when he puchased it.
you guys might actually have much to discuss on the subject, given your own mutual interest and commitment to the better care of these animals:mrgreen:

BTW, seahorse_fanatic has taken the anemone and so it has gone from one very good home to another.

mods....do as you will.

Marlin65
09-18-2008, 04:05 PM
I was not intending to question anyone or say that he did something wrong was only trying to be helpful. Most people think they are easy to keep and most people can't keep them alive for more than a year.
They just do not have a good track record in captivity and for an animal that can live up to a century I feel they should not be in the trade.
This is just my opinion and by no means were my comments meant to offend anyone. Sorry if it came across this way.
PS your PM box is full.

Whatigot
09-18-2008, 04:48 PM
just emptied it, and for the record, I had no idea that 'nems had bad tank track records...
so you definitely learned me:biggrin:
for the sake of discussion, are there cases you do know of where a nem has lived a longer fuller life in captivity than the time you mentioned above?

you see so many in the lfs, it's sort of dissapointing to learn this.

Marlin65
09-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Not saying it is not possible but if you check polls you will see that maybe one out of 36 makes it to five years, and that is with hobbyist that have five plus years experience.
Most don't live long as the don't ship well. The consume them self to survive and are hard to bring back after they have started to expire.
Some are better than others. If you can get a clone your odds become much better. They are recommended for people that run reefs as they require the same care as SPS. Most inexperienced hobbyist don't know enough about them but buy them for their clown fish. That is why people always tell you they need MH light to keep alive as they need lots of light and need stable SG as they are sensitive to that as well. Never keep one lower than 1.024-1.025 if you don't they can't absorb the trace elements they need.
They need to be fed heavily as well and that does not go well in most nutrient poor environments.
The hobby has come a long way over the years, but we are still not sure as to what they need to survive ( for long term) maybe in a few more years.
The biggest problem I see is that most are taken from the wild and clown fish in the wild need them to survive as they are poor swimmers and easy prey for other fish.

Marlin65
09-18-2008, 05:42 PM
Therealbigal I hope this does not affect your sale if it does I will pay you the $20 sorry to hijack your tread.:redface:

Whatigot
09-18-2008, 05:57 PM
nono.
therealbigal and I both went to anthonys last night and traded him for some great zoas.

He took my tang as well as als sebae.

I couldn't believe how much that anemone had grown since all bought it, almost 3 times bigger in a month...

I think that either way, that nem is now on easy street....

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-18-2008, 07:15 PM
It is now in my 210g reef under 250w DE MH lighting with a ER RS250 skimmer to keep it clean hooked up to a 75g sump. I have had a small sebae anemone (in my seahorse/refugium/frag tank) that is now over 2 years in capitivity. It has shrunken a little in size due to the fact that I have not been home for 3.5 months but we're moving back with the baby tonight & so all my fish/corals & tanks will get the attention they need.

I am really glad that on this forum, it is possible to have informed & heart-felt discussions/debates without too much drama or slamming.

Marlin, I live in Burnaby very close to you so if you ever want to come by for a visit, let me know. I'm sure we would enjoy a visit. Had a great time talking fish/corals with WhatIgot & TheRealBigAl last night. They even got a chance to feed pacific shrimp to my Snowflake & Porcupine Puffer with my long pokey stick while they were here. That's usually entertaining to visitors:biggrin:

Anthony

Marlin65
09-18-2008, 07:35 PM
Sounds great I am happy to see that he went to someone that is able to take care of him.:biggrin:

TheRealBigAL
09-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Okay marlin that was the last straw man. I saw your post last night and didnt respond because I wanted to drop it. By the last post you made you implied that I could not have taken care of the Anemone HAD I KEPT IT. YES I COULD HAVE KEPT THE ANEMONE & CARED FOR IT. I LOVE MY TANK AND EVERYTHING IN IT. I have a friend who has had an anemone for 6 years then took it out of his tank mailed it to his ex wife in calgary and the ANEMONE IS STILL GOIN STRONG. SO UNLESS YOU GOT SOMTHING POSTIVE TO SAY DONT SAY NOTHIN. :biggrin:

THIS BETTER BE THE LAST REPLY TO THIS THREAD MARLIN.

P.S. Cant wait to meet you on sunday!

Whatigot
09-18-2008, 09:11 PM
mods...
please close this.
anemone has found a good home.