PDA

View Full Version : Comments/suggestions for rearranging sump (pic included)

jasond
09-17-2008, 04:11 AM
Hi everyone, been a while since I have been on here, and my neglected tank needs somewhat of a makeover and I am looking for some help. I am thinking of rearranging my sump. Please tell me what you think of my current set up & idea to move things around.

Currently:

Far left compartment is the overflow from the tank, right now I have the TLF phosban in there due to lack of space

Next over to the right is my mini refugium, lit 12 hours overnight. Nothing special, couple inches of sand

Next to the right, just the Euroreef protein skimmer

Last one on the far right is my return Eheim 1250 (quite slow flow through the sump)

My thoughts:

Ditch the refugium, place the protein skimmer there, and one over to the right place the TLF reactor, phosban and add one for carbon, then over to the return pump.
Also thinking of adding a sock to my water coming in as without it my sump is a mess (and people seem to have success according to the poll).
I have quite low flow through the sump and am not seeing too much benefit from the refugium. Wouldn't mind trying zeovit, but real estate is limited.

Thoughts? Ideas? Anyone have success with a different arrangement?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

FitoPharmer
09-17-2008, 05:53 AM
these are my thoughts: first i stopped using phosban after realizing its really the rich mans bandaid. if you have a RO/DI buying salt and doing more water changes will always be cheaper and make a healthier environment for your tank. phosban is a great product don't get me wrong. personally tho i use only water changes and carbon now. unless you find water changes a real pain in the butt i would suggest that you get a filter sock, leave your reactor where it is, change your lighting for your fuge to normal power efficient bulbs, and thats about it other then maybe stop buying phosban and spend the money on salt. iv heard fuges with macro algae wont work very well in some instanced because of phosban, it removes the phosphate that the macro requires to grow and take up the trates as well.

jasond
09-17-2008, 04:30 PM
Thanks for your reply...Phosban a bandaid??? Absolutely! I have had pretty good luck with it though, even doing 10% water changes weekly I still find it works well. I may take your suggestion on the light, i am just using a mini coralife PC light as you can see, and not getting spectacular growth.....thanks again, any others?