PDA

View Full Version : Lighting upgrade

marie
09-17-2008, 02:07 AM
So I changed my hamilton 250 DE hood to lumenmax reflectors with 250w mogul bulbs on my HQI ballasts

Does anyone know where I can get fish sunglasses? Too much light maybe?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/sept1408009.jpg

The lights aren't quite as bright as it shows in the pic but they are still prety bright :)

PoonTang
09-17-2008, 02:26 AM
Very nice tank Marie...mind if i bring over my scissors?

andestang
09-17-2008, 02:38 AM
:cool:....looks nice.

marie
09-17-2008, 02:40 AM
Very nice tank Marie...mind if i bring over my scissors?

You don't need scissors, I have frags laying all over the sand bed waiting for someone to come and take them home

PoonTang
09-17-2008, 02:52 AM
PM Sent :)

Aquattro
09-17-2008, 04:45 AM
Too much light maybe?

Nonsense!!

marie
09-17-2008, 04:47 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/sept1408011.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/sept1408010.jpg

fkshiu
09-17-2008, 05:08 AM
What bulbs are you using and do you have actinics?

marie
09-17-2008, 05:10 AM
What bulbs are you using and do you have actinics?

I'm using the 10k xms and right now I have no actinics. I'm actually really liking the colour, it's very white. Hopefully it won't change too drastically when the bulbs burn in

marie
09-18-2008, 10:06 PM
ooooops, I woke up this morning to a tank full of pastel corals, I tried to acclimate them slowly but I guess it wasn't slow enough :redface: .

lastlight
09-18-2008, 10:43 PM
what ballasts do you use marie?

marie
09-18-2008, 11:05 PM
I'm using the HQI ballasts that came with the hamilton hood

scuglass
09-19-2008, 05:45 PM
How long and what technique did you use to try and acclimatize them to the new lights?

atcguy
09-19-2008, 07:22 PM
hey just a thought I tried hamilton then Geinsman 14.5k then xm10k with my actinic vhos.. and now phoenix.. 14k 250 de I just replaced them as I like them so much.. Awesome light.. a bright white with a hint of blue.. Compared to the XM;s there is no comoparisn in my mind.. you should take a look at them. OA sells them and good price too at around 85 bucks I believe..

Just a thought. tanks looks great

marie
09-19-2008, 09:22 PM
hey just a thought I tried hamilton then Geinsman 14.5k then xm10k with my actinic vhos.. and now phoenix.. 14k 250 de I just replaced them as I like them so much.. Awesome light.. a bright white with a hint of blue.. Compared to the XM;s there is no comoparisn in my mind.. you should take a look at them. OA sells them and good price too at around 85 bucks I believe..

Just a thought. tanks looks great

I'm using the single ended xm bulbs on HQI (DE) ballasts, there is easily twice as much light as I was getting with double ended bulb. The colour isn't the problem in fact I quite like the colour, very white. The problem is not acclimating the poor corals properly to the brighter light

marie
09-19-2008, 09:29 PM
How long and what technique did you use to try and acclimatize them to the new lights?

I was manually turning them an hour on and an hour off. I think the problem arose because the lights are still on a timer that come on at 11am and I don't get home from work until 1:30-2:00 so they were getting 3 hrs of uninterupted light.

Now the lights are about 18" off the water and they are being shaded through dark window film. It's sorta like heavy cloud cover for a few days while they recuperate :lol:

Patrick1
09-19-2008, 10:51 PM
I read somewhere that Achilles tangs don't like MH so if you don't mind bagging him up I will PM you my address so you can ship it.

Lance
09-19-2008, 11:05 PM
I read somewhere that Achilles tangs don't like MH so if you don't mind bagging him up I will PM you my address so you can ship it.

Nice Try! Not a chance Patrick1. I live just down the street from Marie and am currently setting up a 225 that Dufus would like very much.:mrgreen:
To tell you the truth I think Marie would rather give up one of her arms than that Achilles.

marie
09-19-2008, 11:23 PM
Nice Try! Not a chance Patrick1. I live just down the street from Marie and am currently setting up a 225 that Dufus would like very much.:mrgreen:
To tell you the truth I think Marie would rather give up one of her arms than that Achilles.

Blood, sweat and tears went into keeping that fish alive, I would rather give up both my kids :razz:

And there is an 8ft by 3ft tank in my future so Doofus won't need your 225g Lance :mrgreen:

Patrick1
09-19-2008, 11:30 PM
I am not sure why but I find the Achilles to be such an amazing fish. Also being this thread was about your MH it looks nice. Comming from MH to being a hard core T5 guy, I am kicking around the idea of adding a little MH Back to give my system/electrical bill a little more POP I miss the shimmer.

Lance
09-19-2008, 11:38 PM
Blood, sweat and tears went into keeping that fish alive, I would rather give up both my kids :razz:

And there is an 8ft by 3ft tank in my future so Doofus won't need your 225g Lance :mrgreen:

360 gals. WOW. If I get a mask & snorkel for Molly, can she join Doofus in your big new tank? You would be the only member on Canreef with a dogfish. I'll even throw in a lifetime supply of underwater kibble.

marie
09-20-2008, 12:02 AM
360 gals. WOW. If I get a mask & snorkel for Molly, can she join Doofus in your big new tank? You would be the only member on Canreef with a dogfish. I'll even throw in a lifetime supply of underwater kibble.

I wouldn't put it past Molly to vocalize underwater without drowning

...so no:lol:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-20-2008, 12:05 AM
Coming up next week with Felicia & Irene to visit Marie's tank, I mean Marie:lol::twised:

If either of you (Marie or Lance) need me to pick up anything to transport up, let me know asap.

Remember, I'm traveling with a baby so space will be limited, so no 8' x 3' tanks.

Anthony

Doug
09-20-2008, 12:08 AM
Marie, When I put my reef back in my 90g, I wired up Mike,s Lumenarc reflectors, as compared with my simpler normal reflectors. Using the same 12K Reeflux bulbs and the same duel Galaxy ballast, all 250w.

I have noticed a lot more intensity with the reflectors. Wish I could measure it. Running shorter or staggered lighting periods, plus have them fairly high. My acro,s are responding well but a purple cap had lightened considerably and of all things, two different milli colonies are showing some signs of light stress. Yet a green cap, higher than the purple looks much better.

A smaller milli colony fragged from one of them but on the bottom of the tank has extemely nice colors in comparison.

Of course a bunch of different colored mushrooms ae just loving it.

Weird, is all I can say. :lol:

Chaloupa
09-20-2008, 01:01 AM
WOW Marie...that looks great! http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/smiley.gif

I just upgraded my lighting and it's amazing the color you get! And yeah, I understand the sunglasses..this is comparing my old lighting to my new lighting....I watched really really closely for any color change in any of the corals too...but my light was put fairly high up. Hopefully yours have a full recovery! I gotta get over there one day to see your tank.

marie
09-20-2008, 01:29 AM
Marie, When I put my reef back in my 90g, I wired up Mike,s Lumenarc reflectors, as compared with my simpler normal reflectors. Using the same 12K Reeflux bulbs and the same duel Galaxy ballast, all 250w.

I have noticed a lot more intensity with the reflectors. Wish I could measure it. Running shorter or staggered lighting periods, plus have them fairly high. My acro,s are responding well but a purple cap had lightened considerably and of all things, two different milli colonies are showing some signs of light stress. Yet a green cap, higher than the purple looks much better.

A smaller milli colony fragged from one of them but on the bottom of the tank has extemely nice colors in comparison.

Of course a bunch of different colored mushrooms ae just loving it.

Weird, is all I can say. :lol:

Strangly enough the bleaching in my tank was kind of random as well

Here's a pic as the tank is now under cloudy conditions.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/bleached016.jpg

One of Snappy's poor frags
before
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/frags007.jpg

after
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/bleached005.jpg

Lance
09-20-2008, 01:53 AM
Coming up next week with Felicia & Irene to visit Marie's tank, I mean Marie:lol::twised:

If either of you (Marie or Lance) need me to pick up anything to transport up, let me know asap.

Remember, I'm traveling with a baby so space will be limited, so no 8' x 3' tanks.

Anthony

Thanks Anthony, for the offer, but I'm good right now. While you're here, if you have the time I'd like to meet you and your family. (Maybe coffee or something)

marie
09-20-2008, 03:50 AM

Anthony

Hey Anthony I could use a few packets of Nori...maybe even 4 or 5 of them? That shouldn't take up too much room :razz: