PDA

View Full Version : Found a crab. ID?

likwid
09-16-2008, 04:30 AM
Hey guys,

Just found this crab in my new live rock. He is pretty huge, over an inch wide. I'm guessing he is a bad crab, so is anyone able to ID it from this picture and give me tips on how to catch him?

Thanks

sunce_22
09-16-2008, 05:15 AM
I had one of those in my tank and he started attacking and killing my snails! looked almost identical! get him out asap if you can

Kostas
09-16-2008, 05:31 AM
I too had once found one of those crabs in my tank.
Mine would only come out at night time.
I caught it one night and took it to my local pet store - they just took it and threw it in their shark tank, they said they can get rather big and shouldn’t keep that hitchhiker crab in my tank.

likwid
09-16-2008, 01:10 PM
Yikes! On the bright side though he seems to be eating the hair algae on that rock :P

Alright, what's the easiest way to catch him? As soon as he senses movement he goes into the rock.

DanG
09-16-2008, 01:38 PM
tilt a cocktail galss on the sand bed, a little less than 45 degrees, then drop some food in there and turn the lights out. They should be able to get in, but not out. You may have to fish out the hermit's that get trapped in there too.

likwid
09-16-2008, 01:43 PM
tilt a cocktail galss on the sand bed, a little less than 45 degrees, then drop some food in there and turn the lights out. They should be able to get in, but not out. You may have to fish out the hermit's that get trapped in there too.

Luckily the tank is cycling so there are no other critters in there that I know of. What food do I put in the glass that will actually stay inside and not float out?

MikeP
09-16-2008, 03:46 PM
I had one of those crabs too. I caught him with a jar propped up against the rockwork with a couple algae wafers in it for bait. He's been living in my sump for over a year now.

Good luck.

scuglass
09-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Yah I have one sitting in my sump too... His name is Terminator, hes huge. Move him to the sump.

likwid
09-16-2008, 04:56 PM
I don't have a sump, what should I do with him, flush him?

Also, I don't have any algae wafers, is there anything else I can use as bait in the glass? All I have are flakes and frozen mysis.

ElGuappo
09-16-2008, 05:00 PM
i use mysis and planjton to bait my traps. if you are heading to calgary in the future i have a wicked litttle crab trap that i bought. i think red coral has more. i have never gotten the glass or bottle tricks to work for me. dont flush him if you can find someone nearby to take him.

are you the guy in the bridge looking for people to stop by and look at your set up? if so i may jump on the bike this weekend and head down. (weather Permiting)

likwid
09-16-2008, 05:23 PM
i use mysis and planjton to bait my traps. if you are heading to calgary in the future i have a wicked litttle crab trap that i bought. i think red coral has more. i have never gotten the glass or bottle tricks to work for me. dont flush him if you can find someone nearby to take him.

are you the guy in the bridge looking for people to stop by and look at your set up? if so i may jump on the bike this weekend and head down. (weather Permiting)

Ya if I put mysis in the cup it will definitely float out. Are there any household meats/foods I can use?

Nope, I think that may be Surgeonfish who would like to show off his tank.

MikeP
09-16-2008, 07:29 PM
If you have PE mysis it's big enough to tie to a little piece of LR rubble with an elastic. You should be able to get algae wafers at any pet store that carry's fish, I think wal-mart even has them. Don't flush him if you can avoid it, he just hitched a ride and didn't plan on ending up in your tank.