PDA

View Full Version : cloudy surface?

One_Divided
03-06-2002, 03:09 AM
This is a problem I've never had to address before so I'm not sure the best way to get around it.. My water surface is sorta cloudy/ dusty looking.. I hear that it can block a lot of light. I'm not sure the best way to get rid of it.. this is a sumpless tank so there ya go.. Should I just get some current going up towards the water surface? I don't know how I would skim the surface? A net doesn't do much lol.

Silverfish
03-06-2002, 03:14 AM
Hey Adam, try taking the smallest powerhead you have, (MJ 400) and put it up at the top of your tank. You could even stick it to the glass turned 90 degrees with the nozzle pointing up slightly to give ya some extra surface action.

You could always throw a couple of airstones in there, or maybe one o them cool bubble wand things to break up the surface tension. JK tongue.gif

Mak
03-06-2002, 08:50 AM
Even with a powerhead faced towards the surface you will still get a build up. Instead of using a net [lol] use a bucket. Use by partially sticking bucket in water and allowing the crap to flow in, fill half bucket as if you fill to top some will spill back in. Used to do this in my freshwater tank :D .

Aquattro
03-06-2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Silverfish:

maybe one o them cool bubble wand things to break up the surface tension. JK tongue.gif <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My preference is those little gurgling pirate chests. tongue.gif

Adam, I would try partially submersing a sponge or some floss to soak it up. It looked like dust from your lighting project.

Canadian Man
03-06-2002, 01:11 PM
NO NO NO
what i do with my supless 90 g is i have an eheim surface extractor hooked up to an empyt canister filter and that get's rid of the surface scum beautifully. hagen now makes one too. i have tried all the aformentioned tricks and none of them work great. i even put a spraybar on my rio 2100 (690gph) at the surface and all the scum went to one side.
smile.gif

StirCrazy
03-06-2002, 08:41 PM
hey Adam if you want to try a surface skimmer I bought one like canadian was talking about and I have a spare hang on back aquaclear here you can use also. I am not using it as I bought it for my fresh water tank and a 250 magnum is just to powerfull for it and sucks in to much air, but you are welcome to try it with the aquaclear if you want.

Steve

AJ_77
03-06-2002, 09:54 PM
Hey One:

Off topic, BUT -- I like your website, esp the comment about your refugium:

"Punishment area for bad organisms"

Never thought of that! LOL

AJ