PDA

View Full Version : Anemone V/s. Frogspawn?

ranz
04-13-2003, 10:20 PM
Hello oh wise reefers..

Should I be concerned about a rather large Bubble Tip Anemone about 9 inches in diameter roaming into soft corals? Bill the bubble tip has pushed himself up against my Frogspawn, Oh the Frogspawn is bigger then a football, last count of branches was at 13. Who will win the battle, anyone care to predict the outcome?

-Should I intervene? (move one to only have it move back?)

- Let nature take is course?
- BTA to LFS

For the newbe's
BTW - Bubble Tip Anemone
LFS - Local Fish Store

I have taken pictures but my camera is the pits, anyways pictures are at this address.
The pictures are quite large so I suggest only high-speed connections….

http://members.shaw.ca/ranz/home.htm

Randy

ranz
04-13-2003, 10:23 PM
sorry I posted the wrong address

try this it will take you directly to the pictures...

http://members.shaw.ca/ranz/Anemone.htm

Bob I
04-13-2003, 10:32 PM
I would be inclined to tough it out. I would think the strongest will win, and the other will move. I put my money on the BTA. I accidentally put some Xenia next to my LTA. I thought it was dead, but after nine days it is making a comeback. :arrow: :biggrin:

StirCrazy
04-13-2003, 10:37 PM
I would be inclined to tough it out. I would think the strongest will win, and the other will move.

The problem with this is the Frogspawn can't move so it will be killed.

I would relocate which ever of the two is easyest to move.

Steve

Bob I
04-13-2003, 10:52 PM
I would be inclined to tough it out. I would think the strongest will win, and the other will move.

The problem with this is the Frogspawn can't move so it will be killed.

I would relocate which ever of the two is easyest to move.

Steve

Forgot about that. Move the frogspawn, or try moving the BTA back. However they usually go where they like. :redface:

ranz
04-14-2003, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the input everyone, this is really a great place to get the info and advise from past experience....

Here is some of the problems with this situation, the Frogspawn is fastened down with a zap strap to a large rock. The BTA is so large that the leg part (foot) of the anemone is about 6 inches long, the footing of the anemone reaches way into the reef....
(IM SCARED TO TOUCH IT!)

The Frogspawn is like the showpiece in the tank and seem to be no worse for wear so far, key words "so far" I will monitor it closely.

Thanks everyone for the input...

:redface:

steve-s
04-14-2003, 01:58 PM
Best way to move an anemone without damaging it is with a power head.

Aim the power head towards the foot of the anemone and downward from the frogspawn. The anemone will move after a bit, they detest strong sustained current.

Not meaning to be a trouble maker, but are you sure that's a BTA?

Cheers
Steve

sumpfinfishe
04-14-2003, 02:48 PM
I have kept both anemones and frogspawn in my 27gl for over 6 years now. I would say that let nature do it's thing for now, however if one or the other is being stung then I would move the anemone. In nature there are forces of current and space that we as hobbiest just cannot provide in a home aquarium. With that said, if the anemone needs to be moved, simply place a rock on the downward slope side opposite to the side where you place a small powerhead to force it to creep onto the rock, now you can move the anemone attached to the rock so yuou don't have to pick it up. I have done this a few times with ease. Just be sure you don't go making blended anemone cocktails-be sure to monitor while performing this action as it should only take an hour at most.

So I guess I agree with everyone :mrgreen:
cheers, Rich