PDA

View Full Version : Harlequin shrimp

pastout
09-14-2008, 02:49 AM
well i just bought a pair of harelquin shrimp from j and l and was wondeirng if the person who droped them off for store credit was on can reef and if they were which type of starfish they used to prefer for food. thanks . but if not anyone else input would be apreciated

bassman
09-14-2008, 02:55 AM
I used to feed mine chocolate chip starfish. Loved them.

pastout
09-14-2008, 03:24 AM
right now they have a sand sifter but id rather them eating red sea stars fromia would they work?

noirsphynx
09-14-2008, 04:04 AM
I have no experience with them but am interested in them and from what I understand they are partial to choco. chip stars.

fkshiu
09-14-2008, 04:53 AM
I think they'll eat almost any star but most people feed them cheaper ones since tossing in linkias can quite very expensive, very fast.

The most ingenius method I've heard of feeding harlequins is to buy a handful of choco chips and toss all but one into your sump. Toss the last one into the display with the harlequins who should incapacitate it before it starts to munch on any corals. Wait until the harlequins have eaten off an arm before you rescue it and put it in the sump. Replace it with another star and so on. This way the stars have enough time to heal between torture sessions - leaving you with your daily horror show and the harlequins a never ending supply of food.

Drock169
09-14-2008, 04:58 AM
They were davids at the store, I dont think hes on canreef, hes been feeding his pair the same as mine, white sand stars, cheapest starfish that I've found that they'll eat

Chaloupa
09-14-2008, 05:00 AM
You can also remove the chocolate chip star from the sump, chop off an arm or two and feed it directly to the shrimp, throw star back in sump. Mine eats from my tongs so no star legs have a chance to wander off....and I don't have to put the entire thing in there!

pastout
09-14-2008, 06:27 AM
ya thats what they said his name was david. how often do you feed yours and how much? (i have them in my gfs nano right now and not in my display tank yet) thanks for all the help so far

mark
09-14-2008, 01:48 PM
and I thought thawing and feeding the tank mysis took time.

How often to you have to feed the shrimp a leg?

Drock169
09-16-2008, 03:54 AM
I feed 1 white sand star every two weeks. It feeds the pair and then I wait a week until they come out again at night to hunt for another star.

pastout
09-16-2008, 04:33 AM
ya there in my gfs nano right now i fed them for the first time today wow i was impressed with how strong the female is