PDA

View Full Version : Several questions for Moderators

Bob I
04-13-2003, 04:20 PM
A few things have bothered me in recent weeks. One of them is that the board is being taken over with what appears to be children. If not in physical age, certainly in mentality.

These weenies leave no information in their profile. So question number one would be this; cannot people be forced to fill in more blanks in their profiles before posting?

Question number two is; cannot the moderators put a permanent ban on people whose posts are considered to be offensive? :question:

Aquattro
04-13-2003, 06:15 PM
I have to agree with Bob. There is no room for these weenies on the board.
I have PM'd a moderator about this and would like to see some action taken.

zulu_principle
04-14-2003, 01:05 AM
Well unfortunately I understand your position, i don't like the "weenies" myself.

But "being taken over with what appears to be children", come on, there have been a few posts in the last week, big deal.

If we have the expectation of being censored in this enviornment I would begin to have worries about what I post and I assume some of those individuals who are thinking of posting will as well.

There will always be bad eggs, but to subject the posters to submit all information to post will only invite those who wish to post as "weenies" to provide inaccurate or untruthful information.

My expectations as to the role of "highly compensated" moderator is to do just that moderate, not censor.

Just my two cents.

Wendell

rex
04-14-2003, 01:15 AM
hahahahaha

Quinn
04-14-2003, 01:26 AM
hahahahaha

need we really say more? :evil: to me it seems like someone is taking trolling to the next level.

Jack
04-14-2003, 01:38 AM
Yah, I saw that post but chose not to say anything but now that teevee has said something I'd better gang up :wink:

I do hate those posts. As you can see that's his 7th "constructive" post. In his profile it says he's a dentist, I think he left the laughing gas on :lol: Har Har, but I try to post good info, sorry if I don't, but there is so much to know in this hobby and I don't think anyone out there know's it all. That's why there's informative boards like this.

As Wendel said, don't worry about the few bad eggs :mrgreen:

naesco
04-14-2003, 03:02 AM
Press the ignore button.
I never react to tang threads!

StirCrazy
04-14-2003, 03:13 AM
Press the ignore button.
I never react to tang threads!

what ignore button?

am I missing something?

Steve

Troy F
04-14-2003, 03:16 AM
Question number two is; cannot the moderators put a permanent ban on people whose posts are considered to be offensive?

We'd have to ban you Bob and you're way to valuable. :wink:

Seriously, if the problem persists Rex or Brownskinner will be removed but near as I can tell, they're just bugging each other. I'm sure they'll grow tired of bugging a bunch of ol' fish geeks in no time at all.

Skimmerking
04-14-2003, 03:11 PM
OK, OK ,OK
Iut's time for bare knuckle boxing :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh well my B-day is coming up .and if any one wants to find me a good deal on some rock please call me ..1-204-728-0342

need to fill up a 280 gal :cry:

Doug
04-14-2003, 09:26 PM
Just what is a "highly compensated moderator"?

titus
04-15-2003, 05:21 AM
Hello,

Okay all new members must fill in their location, interests, and occupation in order to register.

Titus

Canadian Man
04-15-2003, 05:25 AM
thanks titus

zulu_principle
04-15-2003, 05:32 AM
You have moderators that don't provide that information.............

EmilyB
04-15-2003, 05:33 AM
:lol: :idea:

Doug
04-15-2003, 01:50 PM
You have moderators that don't provide that information.............

Gee, wonder who that would be. :confused:

AJ_77
04-15-2003, 03:04 PM
The Legend of Doug may not have spread to the West Coast yet...

:biggrin:

Delphinus
04-15-2003, 04:32 PM
Pardon my density, but is there an actual question here anymore? I kind of feel like the moderators are just being blankly criticized for being moderators.

If there is something specific to address, please bring it forward. PM one of us if you prefer.

I don't understand the comments going on about censorship and whatnot. What are we supposed to do? Recently we had to remove some of smileys because complaints were brought forth to us about their "offensiveness." So now we're censors. Nice. And now we're supposed to ban people based on their posts being "not very constructive." Give me a break! We can't do that. First of all we're not McCarthyists. Second of all ... think about it, if we had to slap the wrist of everyone who posted a whimsical or smart aleck post, pretty much everyone around here would be in trouble.

So we try to find a middle ground. We're just doing our best here, and if you have a suggestion for an improvement, by all means, let's hear it. Doesn't mean that we're obliged to follow it, but we are all open-minded folk here, we'll give reasonable suggestions, all reasonable consideration. Remember that this is a free service and it is administered by people who are volunteering their time (and resources). Cut us some slack sometime, we're just doing our best to keep this a cool place to hang out. We don't want you unhappy or angry, but man alive, the amount of crankiness and/or nastiness coming through in posts some days is just simply amazing. Why can't we all just get along? I thought we were all friends in here, sharing a common interest.

I also would like to remind all that we have a "Member Agreement." Read it over from time to time. If someone violates the terms of the agreement, we're going to take an action. Simple as that. Also, remember that we WILL measure our responses appropriately.

Also, at the end of the day, everyone should recognize and observe good netiquette. Do we need to bring in Miss Manners here??? LOL. :lol: Just kidding. I don't want to see good manners made a mandate by the rules. But remember, it's nicer place for everyone when everyone minds their manners. Just food for thought, okay?

Peace, and cheers....
:smile:

zulu_principle
04-15-2003, 04:45 PM
I give up, your in control and im just your humble board member.

No further posts on this subject to follow.

Wendell

Quinn
04-15-2003, 06:24 PM
First of all we're not McCarthyists.

nice one! i'll have to remember that for future use. :smile:

BC_Grl
04-15-2003, 08:51 PM
Tony, I can see your point. But this is beyond just friendly haha's. These people are also giving each other misinformation that others will see and may take to heart. Newbies could read it and think that what they have to say is accurate (god forbid anyone do such a stupid notion!)...

I come to think that this board has some class as well as fun. The knowledge on this board is insurmountable. Do we want them to leave because of a few young idiots? No!

I don't look at it as censorship, but as making the board fun for the whole, just a few "unnamed" individuals.