PDA

View Full Version : WTB: base/dead rock in alberta

Quinn
04-13-2003, 03:05 AM
still debating the tufa versus base rock thing, but i suppose since i can afford it, i may as well play it safe. if you've got some rock lying around, let me know what you want for it (free in exchange for future considerations would be cool). :biggrin:

EmilyB
04-13-2003, 03:06 AM
Some of us won't live that long..... :lol: :mrgreen: :razz:

Quinn
04-13-2003, 03:13 AM
Some of us won't live that long..... :lol: :mrgreen: :razz:

ah don't be so hard on yourself. think of it this way, the sooner i get rock into my tank, the sooner i can get livestock!

AJ_77
04-13-2003, 03:18 AM
Maybe you could write the future considerations into your will...

:lol:

Buccaneer
04-13-2003, 05:33 AM
Since Tufa when covered in coraline is supposed to look just like live rock then what exactly does base rock look like ? ...

Cheers

AJ_77
04-13-2003, 05:49 AM
Reef rock:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=cs-rrock

Buccaneer
04-13-2003, 05:52 AM
I should have been clearer ... sort of a rhetorical question really ... if that base rock is supposed to look like my live rock in my tank now when it is covered in coraline then how bad could Tufa really be ( I did see that pic before on J&L's site :) )

Cheers

AJ_77
04-13-2003, 05:58 AM
Fair enough - but there were so many people in another thread that couldn't find that page, it was getting ridiculous...

I guess a person would have to try the tufa and see what becomes of it over time - looks like teevee will be our guinea pig.

I think the arguments against its use put forward by StirCrazy were persuasive enough, even without my bias against less-than-natural materials, even if they are close. I'd hate to be kicking myself in the @ss down the road if I had to dig out my base rock and put something better in.

Quinn
04-13-2003, 06:01 AM
yeah it's a real toss-up. i'm kinda at the point that if i can get base rock for cheap, i'll use it, otherwise i'll go with tufa. i'm not concerned about the look of tufa, because it will quickly get covered in coraline, but i am concerned about the minerals in it spurring algae outbreaks. jon uses it with no troubles, but kari was thinking today that ross used tufa and had problems...

Buccaneer
04-13-2003, 06:06 AM
Fair enough - but there were so many people in another thread that couldn't find that page, it was getting ridiculous...

Hey hey hey ... I resemble that remark :smile: ... I wuz one of those that could not find it too LOL

I guess a person would have to try the tufa and see what becomes of it over time - looks like teevee will be our guinea pig.

Oh he might be leaning the other way too ... maybe ... maybe not :razz:

I think the arguments against its use put forward by StirCrazy were persuasive enough, even without my bias against less-than-natural materials, even if they are close. I'd hate to be kicking myself in the @ss down the road if I had to dig out my base rock and put something better in.

I guess if it was snow white there should be no trouble but it is a risk either way ... heck if J&L will give us a break on shipping then maybe teevee and I should order some ? ... wadda ya say bud ? ... wimped out on ya on the kanai and got it local but fear of tearing my reef down is making me think that base rock is the more logical solution

EDIT ... actually it would qualify as dry goods and entitled to free shipping right ?

Cheers

AJ_77
04-13-2003, 06:09 AM
If I think of all the tanks I've seen up close that have had substitute rock, none of them looked nearly as good as tanks with real rock. Not to knock anyone's methods (check out my glass house), but the more I see and learn the more I think that quality live rock is indispensible.

And for base rock, the closest to the real thing we can find - also indispensible.

JMO, but when you've seen enough DIY rock tanks with serious ugly problems, or even borderline ugly, you tend to get nervous. Try to emulate the best tanks you've ever seen...

(AS to free shipping from J&L, check the fine print: "*Does not apply to salt, chiller, aquarium, sump, or sand orders." They might include Reef Rock with sand...)
:confused:

Bob I
04-13-2003, 03:55 PM
but kari was thinking today that ross used tufa and had problems...

I hate to speak for someone else, but since I am fairly close to Ross' problems, I will state here and now that Ross did not use Tufa Rock. Ross uses rocks he made himself following a recipe readily available online. As to using unnatural rock, I think Alan is a bit unfair. I have some Calcium Carbonate rock in my tanks. I have never yet encountered any problems. In reality, I got a couple of the pieces from Alan, and you cannot tell it from storebought LR now. :eating:

Quinn
04-13-2003, 06:14 PM
bob thanks for clarifying that and posting an image of a giant white thing eating a smilie. :smile:

once again, i am stuck between tufa and base rock. so far no one seems to have any base rock to sell and the JL stuff is expensive compared to tufa, which is available in calgary or can be shipped from eastern BC by the people who actually mine it.

i have only read one case of tufa being in a tank overrun with algae, and there's no guarantee the tufa was actually a cause. there are many tufa success stories out there, however. jon (canadianman) also has a lot of tufa in his tank...

http://members.shaw.ca/reefs/canadian_man/index.htm

i am about to begin exam week but once i'm done with that i will probably make my final decision, i will keep everyone posted.

Bob I
04-13-2003, 07:20 PM
i am about to begin exam week but once i'm done with that i will probably make my final decision, i will keep everyone posted.

I am sure we are all holding our collective breaths waiting for the announcement. :microwav:

Quinn
04-13-2003, 08:28 PM
i know you people are behind me 100%!

Bob I
04-13-2003, 08:32 PM

I would be if I cared. :evil:

AJ_77
04-13-2003, 08:51 PM

I would be if I cared. :evil:
Bob, did someone hijack your computer?!? Only a cranky old fart would say something like that!

Because we all you you're one of these: :lilangel:

Bob I
04-13-2003, 09:09 PM
Bob, did someone hijack your computer?!? Only a cranky old fart would say something like that!

Not at all. The point is that questions were asked, opinions were given. It is now up to Quinn to make his decision, one he has to live with. It is of no consequence whether we are behind him or not. After all he is the maker of his own fate, and the reality is one that I have to live with. I don't care OK :question:

Quinn
04-13-2003, 10:52 PM
actually i was referring to my exams, but either way...

Bob I
04-13-2003, 10:57 PM
actually i was referring to my exams, but either way...

Well I hope you studied. If so, you will pass. :eek: