PDA

View Full Version : Green star polyps out of control

Slick Fork
09-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Hi there,

As the title says, I've got some green star polyps that are going out of control. I thought they looked neat when I first started out, now I don't mind them but I don't particularly care for them anymore and they're taking over everything. They just recently attacked and killed a small birdsnest frag so I need some ideas on how to control this plague without nuking the entire tank. I tried boiling water but they just laughed at me :(

Thanks

Phanman
09-12-2008, 07:24 PM
can you isolate the rock they are on?

slakker
09-12-2008, 07:57 PM
I've been able to peel mine off in sheets... and sell/trade them as frags!

MikeP
09-12-2008, 08:01 PM
You can peel them off or isolate the rock they're on. I had a small patch that wouldn't peel off and moving the rock wasn't an option, so I ended up covering it with some reef puddy.

HTH

marie
09-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Take all the GSP covered rock into your lfs and trade for new live rock and other less invasive corals :mrgreen:

whatcaneyedo
09-12-2008, 09:19 PM
I agree with the others. Remove the infested rocks and sell them to some poor sap... I mean beginner. I've tried peeling, scraping, brushing and yelling but they just keep growing so I'm going to remove the rocks they're on and either cook them in my sump or trade/sell them to someone else.

Trigger Man
09-12-2008, 09:56 PM
I must be one of the only poor sap out there that loves GSP. I hope I know what I got myself into when I picked up a bunch a little while back.

slakker
09-12-2008, 10:09 PM
I really like mine too... I like how they wave in the current. Also I get to trade/sell for other stuff, so it's contributing to the fund!

mark
09-12-2008, 10:21 PM
Like mine as well but wish I would have been more careful where I first placed it.

Slick Fork
09-13-2008, 12:32 AM
I liked them when they were a small, manageable size. Now that they turned into a monster on me I want them banished! So it looks like I'll be re-aquascaping a little. Anyone in the Red Deer area want to trade anything for some GSP rocks?

yannicksjh
09-13-2008, 12:57 AM
Looks like we all have the same problem. I liked it at first, now its got to go. I already got rid of the big piece of live rock it came on, but now i have to remove it from the rocks it jumped to. @ small area's about 3"X3" but i know what that will turn into in month. I had a large clown anemone go over one of them thinkking it was going to sting/suffercate it to death, but NOTHING happen to it. Guest you guys are remending that i should take care of it now!

whatcaneyedo
09-13-2008, 04:16 AM
At least they're not as invasive as anthelia and xenia... if you keep them on an island of their own you shouldnt have any problems. Dont get me wrong I do like them, I just dont like them encroaching in on and stinging my SPS! I've also been able to buy a MH bulb or two from the money I've made selling frags of them locally.

mark
09-13-2008, 04:49 AM
At least they're not as invasive as anthelia and xenia... if you keep them on an island of their own you shouldnt have any problems. Dont get me wrong I do like them, I just dont like them encroaching in on and stinging my SPS! I've also been able to buy a MH bulb or two from the money I've made selling frags of them locally.

Never thought GSP would bother anything but have started to notice some die off on my monti plate were the GSP has grown between the plates (had been okay together for something close to a year).

Xenia I've found doesn't so much sting as grows over but at least I find is easier to remove than the GSP.

GSP can be a pain.

FitoPharmer
09-13-2008, 08:40 AM
i find with very hard to kill corals, even with brushing and scraping can be removed by using kalkwasser in a paste, but it pretty much nukes whatever it touches. i had the same problem accept with 20 or 30 little mushroom leather frags, cut them off, and they grow right back. maybe 2.

yannicksjh
09-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Its funny when you want to get rid of something , you can't and in some circumstances you can't keep other stuff alive. Recently lost some SPS for some unknown reason.

FitoPharmer
09-13-2008, 11:40 AM
Recently lost some SPS for some unknown reason.
this is why my tank has a sneeze guard :lol::

yannicksjh
09-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Where do i get one of those at? Are they expensive? LOL

bigmac
09-16-2008, 01:08 AM
I'm currently trying to force my GSP to grow on the back wall of the tank (easy to trim if it gets out of control). I have at least 3 to 4 inches between the glass and my live rock, so I'm not worried about it taking over anything.

I've had some success so far with it as I have two separate pieces now growing on the glass, but it's a slow process.

Anyone else tried this? Any successful suggestions?

fishytime
09-16-2008, 02:05 AM
Recently weeded out a bunch of my gsp. One part of the last rock I sold started growing on the bottom pane of glass where one of my PHs scoured the sand away and I kept it. It might end up in need of mowing some time but I like my GSP lawn Ive got going. I got rid of the big colonies not because I dont like how it looks but to make room for for more cherry pieces of coral ....like acans and killer zoas( if I can ever find some locally).

marie
09-16-2008, 02:16 AM
I'm currently trying to force my GSP to grow on the back wall of the tank (easy to trim if it gets out of control). I have at least 3 to 4 inches between the glass and my live rock, so I'm not worried about it taking over anything.

I've had some success so far with it as I have two separate pieces now growing on the glass, but it's a slow process.

I did that, it wasn't on purpose and it wasn't a slow process but it looked pretty good until it got to the point it was so heavy it started peeling off the glass. Thats when I met Anthony, I gave the whole lot to him :mrgreen:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/c1e45688.jpg

gbeef
09-16-2008, 03:49 AM
GSP is a tricky one if not watch it can consume your whole tank same with xenia..... at least you can mat peel the stuff off.

FitoPharmer
09-17-2008, 01:22 AM

i find it grows alot better on Coraline algae covered glass or at least where spots of Coraline are for it to get started.