PDA

View Full Version : Painting tank panels.

JDigital
09-12-2008, 06:49 PM
I am considering painting the rear and side panels of my 75 with a "vision" of what its gonna look like in my head. I'm thinking a Blue back panel, with black end panels (blue to brighten the tank, and black to direct the viewers eye inwards)..

Anyone painted their panels? Can you post some pics to give me an idea of what to expect?

Any Pros/Cons to doing this?

phillybean
09-12-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm not a big fan of blue myself, I think it will look weird with the different colors on the sides. I did see a really cool one on RC, that started a lighter blue on top, and when down to darker and finally black. Looked really sharp.

That said, if your not 100% sure pick up some vinyl at a local sign/tint and use that. Much easier to remove.

I painted the back of my 75 black. Make sure you clean the tank with a non-oil based cleaner. Make sure there is nothing on the back of the tank. When I did mine, I had just got it back from the glass shop which had some kind of oil based cleaner on. I also painted over a little speck of something I didn't see. First time I used the mag float it ripped off leaving a clear mark in the back :(

Pescador
09-12-2008, 11:32 PM
I use a sheet of pexi from Home Depot. Paint it however you like and tape it to the back with a few pieces of waterproof hockey shinpad tape.
You can remove it in seconds for cleaning or use a magnet cleaner without worry of scratching or ripping.
There was a recent post about better light reflection in the tank using pexi instead of paint.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=344916#post344916

JDigital
09-13-2008, 12:35 AM
I use a sheet of pexi from Home Depot. Paint it however you like and tape it to the back with a few pieces of waterproof hockey shinpad tape.
You can remove it in seconds for cleaning or use a magnet cleaner without worry of scratching or ripping.
There was a recent post about better light reflection in the tank using pexi instead of paint.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=344916#post344916

I posted my opinion on that topic..