PDA

View Full Version : sudden death???

sea gnome
04-13-2003, 02:37 AM
My coral was doing great yesterday am and when I next saw it 12 hrs later it looks dead, all the others are fine and chemistry isn't off. It is a turbinaria pellata (one of the cup corals). I don't have picture but it has had no stresses that I can see and has no polyp extension at all. In fact it has holes where polyps shoud be. Would the sailfin tang be a suspect, I have never seen it picking at it? :cry: :cry: Rachel

StirCrazy
04-13-2003, 02:42 AM
I highly doubt the sail fin (not just because he used to be in my tank either :smile: ) but I would look at other things.. did you have a rapid temp change ect.. could be a lot of things.. see if anything at all has changed in the last day or two.. and that might be a clue as to whare to start looking.

Steve

sea gnome
04-13-2003, 03:31 AM
Nothing has changed, I even got up in the middle of the night worried about a temp. spike. No new bulbs or inhabitants. Rachel

EmilyB
04-13-2003, 04:02 AM
I don't know Rachel, I've never had a turbinaria do well here, in my particular lighting/stocking etc.

I've sold off two cups and now one scroll, because I don't like the polyp extension, and feel they can do better elsewhere.

In one tank, I had less light and a cup coral was doing well, until a coral beauty began keeping the polyps retracted, as sort of a game, from what I could tell. :rolleyes:
:confused:

MitchM
04-13-2003, 11:57 AM
Can you provide any more information, Rachel? How long have you had it, what other inhabitants, do you do regular water changes?

Mitch

sea gnome
04-13-2003, 05:21 PM
I have had it for six months and it always has its polyps out except when I inadvertently touch it. I don't go in my tank much to reduce stress, I feed every second day. I did run out of liquid food a week ago but I havn't always been using it. I make my own food and dissove it before it goen in the tank. Water changes do every week. (5%). Nothing has changed except no polyp extention. The color is still the same, not bleached. Maybe it on vacation???

StirCrazy
04-13-2003, 05:29 PM
Oh, are you saying that the polyps are just sucked in? I thought you ment they were missing.. mine does that once and a while for up to 3 days.. not saying this is what yours is doing but maby..

I will look at mine and go oh no what now (this is the 3/4 dead one I got fro free with my rock) and it will be polypless. then 2 days later it is fine again..

the polyps are out now.. if they go back in I will get a pic so you can tell me if that is what yours is doing.

I would keep a eye on it over a couple days.. if it keeps its color and no fless starts pealing/rotting/ect.. then I would "guess" it is taking a break.

Steve

sea gnome
04-13-2003, 07:23 PM
I've got POLYPS again !!!!!! (and crabs too) but I usually don't tell people that as they tend to take it the wrong way! It must have been taking a break. Whew. Rachel

One_Divided
04-13-2003, 08:20 PM
Rachel, I have the same type of turb.. I've had it for almost 2 years.. Every couple of months it closes up for a few days and expells some zoox (brown goo). I think this is just a way for it to get rid of its waste.. I usually do a water change afterwards just in case though..