PDA

View Full Version : Anemone(s)

Treebeard
09-10-2008, 03:16 PM
When I went to bed last night I had one GBTA, and when I checked the tank this morning I had two.

What is the best method of removing one of them from the rock? I would like to put it into a 10 gallon with a puffer until I decide what to do with it.

http://www.wid.net/images/tank/Anenomes.jpg

Delphinus
09-10-2008, 03:42 PM
It can be tricky. Sometimes it's just best to leave them to wander onto a new rock and move the rock. You can encourage them to move by aiming a powerhead at them, they'll get irritated and walk off on their own.

Some people suggest using ice cubes to get them to let go. You have to use a plastic film though to avoid direct contact with the skin as they'll get necrosis if it gets too cold. I tried this method once and the anemone looked like crap afterwards and half its foot melted over the next couple days ... even with the plastic. So I myself don't recommend this practise (I'll never do it again). I only bring it up because the suggestion to use ice is still probably out there, it might work for some people but I think the risks outweigh the benefits ... not worth killing the anemone to get it off the rock.

If the foot is accessible, in that say you can get a finger maybe under it, then you can gently and slowly work your way under the foot. Or use a credit card or similar piece of plastic. Slow and steady is key - they (BTAs in particular) have an incredible strong adhesion to rock, you can rip the flesh if you're not gentle enough - and an injured foot is not good for an anemone.

But if the foot is wedged into a depression - which they like, so not too surprising when this happens - then you may find you'll have a heck of a time with this last idea. If you can't get your finger under any part of it then that idea is basically a no-go and your only hope is to encourage it to find a new spot - either by rearranging the rock it's on, or by pointing the powerhead at it.

PS. When I say point a powerhead at it - I'm meaning a small one. Too strong a powerhead stream pointed at an anemone can injure it. You want to irritate it into moving, not coerce; sort of thing.

Hope this helps!

Underwater
09-10-2008, 03:49 PM
When I went to bed last night I had one GBTA, and when I checked the tank this morning I had two.

What is the best method of removing one of them from the rock? I would like to put it into a 10 gallon with a puffer until I decide what to do with it.

Simple, you call me and I "remove" it for you....:razz:

Treebeard
09-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Thanks Tony. The one on the left is on a fairly smooth piece of rock, so I will try the credit card method. If left alone, will they remain close together after they split, or will one of them move off and establish his own "territory"?

ponokareefer
09-10-2008, 04:46 PM
I remove them by placeing rocks overtop of them, and they will crawl onto the new rock. You have to make sure to not squish the anemone, but have the rock close enough that it will crawl out on top of it.

a4twenty
09-10-2008, 06:21 PM
if he just split last night, i would wait a little while ( about a week ) till the anemone is fully healed before trying to move him, just to be sure.

Treebeard
09-10-2008, 06:35 PM
Sounds like very good advice!

if he just split last night, i would wait a little while ( about a week ) till the anemone is fully healed before trying to move him, just to be sure.