PDA

View Full Version : What is a good reliable heater?

trilinearmipmap
04-12-2003, 01:20 AM
I have always relied on Ebo-Jagrs with good results in my FW tanks.

Lately on the discus boards there were many concerns about these heaters failing. The same sorts of concerns have shown up on the reef boards too.

Two of my 3 Ebo's (less than 1 year old, one is 2 months old) are not holding their set temperature. One "80 degree" tank is 75 degrees, the other "78 degree" tank is 71 degrees.

I have heard about the Won titanium heaters, I just want to know a good reliable brand of heater I can count on. A heater is the kind of thing you don't want to waste time thinking about, just set it and forget it.

Canadian Man
04-12-2003, 02:07 AM
I have always wanted a won TI heater myself but I don't know where to get them in canada.

sumpfinfishe
04-12-2003, 02:12 AM
I have had a Tronic 100watt heater in my 27gl now for three years with no problems.

I had an Ebo before that lasted three years and then it packed in.

cheers,sumpfinfishe

Bob I
04-12-2003, 02:38 AM
I have had a Tronic 100watt heater in my 27gl now for three years with no problems.

I had an Ebo before that lasted three years and then it packed in.

cheers,sumpfinfishe

I have an Ebo in my 50, and two Visitherms in my other tanks. None are three years old yet. I wonder if it would be wise to consider the Ebo as a disposable piece of equipment, and simply replace it. A heater is not that expensive, but very important. :arrow: :question:

Troy F
04-12-2003, 02:59 AM
Good point Bob. I had Ebos and after Darren and a number of others having problems with them. I went back to Tronic. Due to the electronics in them Ebos fail on while Tronic fail in the off position. I'll take my chance with a cooling tank before a over heated tank any day.

EmilyB
04-12-2003, 04:01 AM
After three bad Ebo's in four years, two leaking voltage (something many might not check for) and one exploder....I am slowly going to replace with the titaniums.

Here is some description, I'll probably negotiate with my US supplier for the lowest online US price, if they are not carried in Canada.

http://www.marinedepot.com/a_ht_wb.asp?CartId=

Aquattro
04-12-2003, 04:05 AM
I use a titanium heater in my tank and so far I'm very happy with it.

spikehs
04-12-2003, 04:53 AM
where did u get the titanium heater?

spikehs
04-12-2003, 04:59 AM
EmilyB,

I am looking for a heater as well, and just looked on ebay and there is a whole pile of those ones there, the person selling them has good feedback too, maybe if a bunch of use order them and get em shipped together we could get a break on shipping?

Aquattro
04-12-2003, 05:08 AM
where did u get the titanium heater?

I got mine at the LFS here. Deb should have bought a dozen to take home!!

EmilyB
04-12-2003, 06:22 AM
:lol: Spike....a group order......you go guy.... :mrgreen:

Ok, Brad.....I never SAW them..... :confused:

StirCrazy
04-12-2003, 06:24 AM
Ok, Brad.....I never SAW them..... :confused:

they are kept hidden, you have to spicificaly ask for them.

I have 2 myself, a 250 watt and a 300 watt.

Steve

Bartman
04-12-2003, 06:57 AM
I had a Thermal Compact heater in a FW tank for 6-7 years before it packed it in and when it did it failed off. I replaced it with another of the same over 3 years ago, no problems. I believe they're made for/by Hagen and I don't know if they're rated highly but I put another in my SW.

steve-s
04-12-2003, 03:21 PM
I have a few people I talk to in the states and most have used the Ebo like myself, but all seemed to recommend the Won Brothers heater (http://wonbrothers.com/product/heater/LCDheater.htm) hands down....

Cheers
Steve

Bob I
04-12-2003, 03:24 PM
:lol: Spike....a group order......you go guy.... :mrgreen:

Yes, for sure, I'll be the first to put my name on the list :arrow: :cool:

Like these group orders ever happen. http://www.crazypics.de/smilies_boese/boese012.gif

Bob I
04-13-2003, 07:42 PM
I have found Via Aqua Titanium heaters on the Big Al's online site. The price is listed as N/A. Is that the one we are looking for. :arrow: :question:

trilinearmipmap
04-14-2003, 04:06 AM
I have heard a lot about the Won brothers heaters and I would like to try one out.

I like the group buy idea.

I haven't dealt with many of the Vancouver area stores much, I have bought loads of stuff from Dan at M.O.P.S.

If there are 10-20 heaters that people want to buy, maybe one of the local stores could order them, or MOPS could order them, and give us a half decent price.

My definition of a half-decent price is, take the U.S. Big Al's or Marine Depot price, add 50% for the exchange, then tack on 25 percent more to allow for shipping costs, and the higher cost of doing business on lower volume. Any higher price than that and it is easier to order directly from the U.S.

fishnut
04-14-2003, 05:18 AM
Reef Gallery in Oakville, ON sells titanium heaters for about $ 70. They come with separate dial to set the temperature, and a probe to place in the sump.

I have one, and am very happy with it - I find it maintains a very accurate temperature.

Bob I
04-14-2003, 04:11 PM
Reef Gallery in Oakville, ON sells titanium heaters for about $ 70. They come with separate dial to set the temperature, and a probe to place in the sump.

I have one, and am very happy with it - I find it maintains a very accurate temperature.

At least now we know of someone who sells them. Now to find one a little closer, or a mail order place that sells them. :cool:

Dez
04-15-2003, 03:11 AM
There are Won Titanium Heaters at Aquarium Illusions. Surprisingly, the prices are almost the same as the other standard heaters. I will be heading to Calgary at the end of the month if any Calgarians need any.

Des

Bob I
04-15-2003, 03:51 AM
There are Won Titanium Heaters at Aquarium Illusions. Surprisingly, the prices are almost the same as the other standard heaters. I will be heading to Calgary at the end of the month if any Calgarians need any.

Des

Can you give me an idea what that price would be? I might be in for one.

Dez
04-15-2003, 03:58 AM
How many watts? I believe the 100W - 200 W range from $56-$69... I'll have to check though..

Des

aquamansilver
04-15-2003, 05:13 PM
I was curious about those heaters and found that the WON Titanium heaters can go up to 1000 watts!!!!! WOW!

Amazing...
http://www.customaquatics.com/customaquatic/listbrandcat.asp?brandID=WB&catID=he#