PDA

View Full Version : Tuning AC units

Aquattro
09-09-2008, 02:41 AM
So, with my new lights, my tank is hitting 88F or so. My sump is in a separate room downstairs, about 60 sq.ft. I can get a window mount AC unit for about $100 at CT, but I'm not sure how to control it. Do users of these set them to a value, or trigger them with a controller?

christyf5
09-09-2008, 03:05 AM
I have mine set to come on when the room hits a certain temperature, that way the room says cool(ish). I think its currently set for about 76F or so. Not sure if all of them work that way or what.

PoonTang
09-09-2008, 03:23 AM
Have you tried fans?

I have mine set to come on when the room hits a certain temperature, that way the room says cool(ish). I think its currently set for about 76F or so. Not sure if all of them work that way or what.

Same here but I only need to do it during the hottest parts of the summer.

Aquattro
09-09-2008, 03:29 AM
Fans won't be enough, I don't think, and I don't want to cause too much evaporation. And fans would be noisy over the tank, where I'd need them.
The sump room is small and it's easy to set up an AC unit in the window I want gone anyway.
Christy, I'll have a look at yours when I'm up.

thx

Okguy
09-09-2008, 03:40 AM
This summer I found a plug in thermostat at Canadian Tire. Works pretty well and designed especially for air conditioners. I found it in with the light timers.

HTH

Kevin

Jason McK
09-09-2008, 04:30 AM
I'm soon to have a medusa dual stage chiller/heater for sale

Let me know if you think that would help

J

mark
09-09-2008, 05:15 AM
This summer I found a plug in thermostat at Canadian Tire. Works pretty well and designed especially for air conditioners. I found it in with the light timers.

HTH

Kevin

Had some wall mount units that we put on thermostats and found they wouldn't turn back on after power cycled (basically what the thermostats were doing) and they needed to be turned back on by pressing the power button on the AC unit. Believe the feature was so if there was a power bump when the utility restored, they all wouldn't come back on at the same time and trip the breaker. Some units you could override, others no joy and just left using with the on-board thermostat.

spreerider
09-09-2008, 07:05 AM
i just set the ac unit at a lower temp and the room temp dropped my tank enough.

Aquattro
09-09-2008, 01:23 PM
i just set the ac unit at a lower temp and the room temp dropped my tank enough.

That's kinda what I'm hoping for.